Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2014, 09:24 PM

54 posts, read 65,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Is ForumFolly the female poster that used to live in NYC but got a better paying professional job in Atlanta or Wash DC and moved away? (That's all I can remember about her at the moment). At any rate, what she posted is a valid observation even if others disagree with her perspective on it.
I actually live in L.A. and NYC.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:25 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,892,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
I have a friend from the Anglophone Caribbean whose parents told her never to a job as a waitress or a menial job simply because they worked hard and came too far for her to do that type of work.

This might be true in some instances and opinions, but I have known plenty of immigrants and children of immigrants who refuse to do low skilled jobs.
And in the case of your friend I understand their sentiments. It takes a fantastic amount of money to put your children to college. So if they sacrificed a lot of money for her to get a good education, being a waitress wasn't a part of that plan.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumFolly234 View Post
Actually, Klassy mentioned that she is educated and doing quite well. Obviously, working as a nanny is certainly below her skills and qualifications. It's also below my skills and qualifications, because I also have a graduate degree, and ample experience in financial management/accounting. I have never been unemployed, because my skills are in high demand and extremely marketable.

Also, I've already stated that we are not the same. Stop thinking that just because a person has brown skin and they are African American that they are project dwellers, lazy and on welfare. Those are impoverished individuals, not middle/upper income black people.

Again, I am not in competition with illegal immigrants or those who are not highly skilled.
Good for you that you aren't. But you could show compassion towards those that DON'T have your education, regardless of nationality. I get that you would never want that lifestyle for yourself. So then you should be grateful that you aren't working those low level service jobs and being on welfare.

Is that really the problem here? You look at those women and go, but for the grace of God that could have been me?

Because if you're has hard working and educated as you claim, you shouldn't be concerned what those women do. I'm sure when your parents paid for your education they weren't concerned about what every Black woman in the world did.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
This might be true in some instances and opinions, but I have known plenty of immigrants and children of immigrants who refuse to do low skilled jobs.
Typically as families get legal status and move up socioeconomically, people can refuse certain type of jobs and go out for better jobs. Years ago, many of the South American and Spanish Caribbean immigrants I knew in Queens mainly worked in low level service jobs. Now some of them or their children have moved up to jobs in media, tech, social services, medicine, education, etc. Obviously if you have the talent to get a better job you don't accept a crappy job.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:33 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,695,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
To the OP, get over yourself. Do you really think every White woman pushing a stroller is the babie's mother in Central Park and other upscale areas? Stop walking around the city if it bothers you so much. People have their own agendas and they are not walking around thinking about you. Let alone thinking so deeply about you that they are lumping you in with another person, in their thoughts.

This thread is ridiculous.
This goes to show how much people are racist in their thinking. Very good post.

These black women are working and trying to better themselves.

They are not pushing strollers throughout the park and saying, "Gee, lets see who gets offended today."

Old 03-01-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Actually, that's not true. I have seen Black American women wipe the butts of old people in nursing home, work in daycare rents, mop the floor as janitors, etc. Plenty of Black American women do work that in your mind carries whatever stigma.

And you know that. You were just trolling when you started this thread. And again, stop presuming to speak for African Americans. You don't.
I am not speaking for American Americans, however, I think I'm on point, when I say that most African American women, generally have no interest in being the hired "help" in a white woman's household.

But I understand that the experiences of Carib, African and African American women are vastly different.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
This goes to show how much people are racist in their thinking. Very good post.

These black women are working and trying to better themselves.

They are not pushing strollers throughout the park and saying, "Gee, lets see who gets offended today."
It would be fine if there were an equal number of "Claire Huxtables" in the park, on the opposite bench, but the fact is, it's usually just the nannies. When people walk by and see them caring for white children, they begin to subconsciously equate black women with servitude.

Some people do not understand the larger picture and the resulting ramifications.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:46 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,278,811 times
Quote:
I am not speaking for American Americans, however, I think I'm on point, when I say that most African American women, generally have no interest in being the hired "help" in a white woman's household.

But I understand that the experiences of Carib, African and African American women are vastly different.
If it pays more money than your other options than who really freaking cares (other than you)? There are just as many white woman and Asian women doing these jobs as black women. Why should black woman be the only ones expected to feel like they should be turning down these jobs? You could take the words African American and women out of your sentence and it would probably still hold true.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Good for you that you aren't. But you could show compassion towards those that DON'T have your education, regardless of nationality. I get that you would never want that lifestyle for yourself. So then you should be grateful that you aren't working those low level service jobs and being on welfare.

Is that really the problem here? You look at those women and go, but for the grace of God that could have been me?

Because if you're has hard working and educated as you claim, you shouldn't be concerned what those women do. I'm sure when your parents paid for your education they weren't concerned about what every Black woman in the world did.
I have compassion, but at the same time, I understand the resulting ramifications for black women of every hue, irrespective of class standing.

What many blacks don't seem to understand is, you don't want the lowest to represent you, YOU want the best and the brightest. I believe in the talented 10th ideology. I don't believe that low income blacks (whether they be African American, Caribbean or African) should be allowed to represent the race in any capacity.

Do whites and Asians allow the lowest in their race to represent them? Obviously, NOT. Why then, do blacks take offense when people say, they don't want to see so many women of African descent in servant roles? I am saying this out of love, not out of scorn. I want our race to be perceived as better, not worse.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:49 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,847,938 times
Quote:
It would be fine if there were an equal number of "Claire Huxtables" in the park, on the opposite bench, but the fact is, it's usually just the nannies. When people walk by and see them caring for white children, they begin to subconsciously equate black women with servitude.

Some people do not understand the larger picture and the resulting ramifications.
So these women are supposed to turn down an honest dollar doing what they may actually enjoy doing for a living, because they are bothered by what you are thinking? Again, get over yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City