Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 02:29 PM

7 posts, read 7,191 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone

I live in a small town in rural New Jersey and I'm thinking of moving to New York soon and I needed some advice. I'm 18 years old, I don't have a job so I have no money, I dropped out of high school (but I'm in the process of getting my GED and I'm currently in GED classes) and I'm just so tired of living in Jersey. All I do is fight with my family and I even got arrested for punching my mom in the face. I have to pay all these fines and I'm on probation and stuff. Anyway there is literally nothing here in Jersey. There's no jobs or anything. I've applied to literally every single store near me and no one calls me back. I've filled out multiple applications for some stores and I drop them off about once a month - sometimes more, I call them after I drop off the application, I go to the store and all they say is "We'll call you." but no one ever does. It's crazy. I really wanna move to New York because my boyfriend lives in New York and we live about two hours away from eachother. It sucks being so far away from him because I love him so much, and I wanna go to cosmetology school and learn to cut hair. I talked to my aunt who lives in Staten Island and she told me that she would let me move into her house, rent free, for as long as I have to so I can save up some money to pay for cosmetology school. The thing is, she isn't gonna let me move in until I get my GED. It's really hard to get a job without a diploma or a GED so she said that as soon as I get my GED she would let me move in, which is great! After I get my GED and move to New York I need to get a job and I'm willing to take any job. I'll scrub toilets if I have to for money. I want to start saving up for my own apartment and the tuition for cosmetology school even if it takes me years to save up some money.

Does anyone think this is a good plan? Or do I sound like another one of those people that wants to escape their small town and move to New York and "follow their dreams"?

Old 03-01-2014, 04:39 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
You will be eaten alive on this city. Uneducated, unqualified in one of the most expensive cities in the world.

If you couldnt hack it in high school long enoigh to graduate....you will not make it here.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
You will be eaten alive on this city. Uneducated, unqualified in one of the most expensive cities in the world.

If you couldnt hack it in high school long enoigh to graduate....you will not make it here.
Maybe you should learn how to spell the word enough correctly and learn proper English and use correct grammar before you decide to call me uneducated. And what does New York being one of the most expensive cities in the world have to do with anything? I'm moving into my Aunt's house rent free so I'm not gonna have to worry about finances.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:02 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
the latter

Old 03-01-2014, 05:19 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
I use to be in your shoes, and still am to some degree. I'm 24 and still live with my parents, mainly due to the fact that I can't find a good job and rents are too high. Make sure to get your GED, otherwise you won't even find something here. I recently lost my job last week and looking for another one too.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:55 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInNewJersey View Post
Hey everyone

I live in a small town in rural New Jersey and I'm thinking of moving to New York soon and I needed some advice. I'm 18 years old, I don't have a job so I have no money, I dropped out of high school (but I'm in the process of getting my GED and I'm currently in GED classes) and I'm just so tired of living in Jersey. All I do is fight with my family and I even got arrested for punching my mom in the face. I have to pay all these fines and I'm on probation and stuff. Anyway there is literally nothing here in Jersey. There's no jobs or anything. I've applied to literally every single store near me and no one calls me back. I've filled out multiple applications for some stores and I drop them off about once a month - sometimes more, I call them after I drop off the application, I go to the store and all they say is "We'll call you." but no one ever does. It's crazy. I really wanna move to New York because my boyfriend lives in New York and we live about two hours away from eachother. It sucks being so far away from him because I love him so much, and I wanna go to cosmetology school and learn to cut hair. I talked to my aunt who lives in Staten Island and she told me that she would let me move into her house, rent free, for as long as I have to so I can save up some money to pay for cosmetology school. The thing is, she isn't gonna let me move in until I get my GED. It's really hard to get a job without a diploma or a GED so she said that as soon as I get my GED she would let me move in, which is great! After I get my GED and move to New York I need to get a job and I'm willing to take any job. I'll scrub toilets if I have to for money. I want to start saving up for my own apartment and the tuition for cosmetology school even if it takes me years to save up some money.

Does anyone think this is a good plan? Or do I sound like another one of those people that wants to escape their small town and move to New York and "follow their dreams"?
Are these employers asking "Have you ever been arrested?" on their applications, and you are answering "yes" (since you have)? This might be a deterrent to your getting hired.

As for moving to NY, save up money, get your GED and give it a try. You will definitely need some money (like a few thousand if possible) when you arrive; otherwise you would be mooching off your aunt for food, utilities and transportation until you can get a job, and your aunt is going to get sick of that very quickly.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:08 PM

82 posts, read 175,108 times
Quote:
Hey everyone

What's your boyfriend doing? Is he "making it"? Does he have a college degree? I'd say a more likely path for a kid from a small town is to graduate college, first, and then try lining up a job in a big city.

Besides your aunt, do you have other relatives you can move in with who live in more affordable cities?

If your yearning to get out of your small town and see some of the world, have you considered the military? Besides getting stationed in different places, you may also be able to learn a marketable skill or trade on their dime. You may even get things like an enlistment bonus and earn money for schooling once your enlistment is up. Or you could even reenlist if you turn out to like it. You'd have to get your GED first. If it's for a minor domestic dispute, then your arrest and probation status should hopefully not be an issue.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle villager View Post
What's your boyfriend doing? Is he "making it"? Does he have a college degree? I'd say a more likely path for a kid from a small town is to graduate college, first, and then try lining up a job in a big city.

Besides your aunt, do you have other relatives you can move in with who live in more affordable cities?

If your yearning to get out of your small town and see some of the world, have you considered the military? Besides getting stationed in different places, you may also be able to learn a marketable skill or trade on their dime. You may even get things like an enlistment bonus and earn money for schooling once your enlistment is up. Or you could even reenlist if you turn out to like it. You'd have to get your GED first. If it's for a minor domestic dispute, then your arrest and probation status should hopefully not be an issue.
Yes, my boyfriend is "making it". He actually graduated from Columbia University and he's a fashion photographer. He's worked with Lady GaGa, Nicola Formichetti, Marc Jacobs, Miley Cyrus, and many other celebrities, designers and models. He also was a part of Fashion Week, so yes he's making it. And no I haven't considered the military. That's retarded.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Are these employers asking "Have you ever been arrested?" on their applications, and you are answering "yes" (since you have)? This might be a deterrent to your getting hired.

As for moving to NY, save up money, get your GED and give it a try. You will definitely need some money (like a few thousand if possible) when you arrive; otherwise you would be mooching off your aunt for food, utilities and transportation until you can get a job, and your aunt is going to get sick of that very quickly.
I actually haven't had to answer yes on a job application when they asked anything like if I was arrested because job applications usually don't ask if you've been arrested. Usually the question says something like "Have you ever been convicted of any crimes?" and I haven't been convicted, I pleaded guilty - and the judge was pretty cool, he charged with me with a lesser crime because I pleaded guilty. I was charged with "disorderly conduct" instead of assault, which is like nothing.

Thank you btw This is exactly what I'm going to do - Get my GED, and then move to New York and get a job. I already have some money saved up and I really don't want to mooch off my aunt. It's so nice of her to let me move in rent free so I really don't want to take advantage of her.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:01 PM

82 posts, read 175,108 times
Quote:
Yes, my boyfriend is "making it". He actually graduated from Columbia University and he's a fashion photographer. He's worked with Lady GaGa, Nicola Formichetti, Marc Jacobs, Miley Cyrus, and many other celebrities, designers and models. He also was a part of Fashion Week, so yes he's making it. And no I haven't considered the military. That's retarded.
What does he think of your chances, then? Would he be able to help you out? Introduce you to people? He'd probably be in a better position to answer your question than even the best intentioned strangers on a message board.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City