Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 12:32 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,366,985 times

Advertisements

Newegg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 01:32 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,413,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
This is true, but sort of inevitable. Given the vast permutations of all the configuration of all the components that are available, it's just much more efficient to keep them in one central warehouse (or even have them drop ship from the manufacturer) than to have them in a large number of retail stores. This is especially true of parts that only matter in specification only (IE, where it doesn't matter what they look and feel like.)

And then, of course, you get into the issue of showrooming, where people look over the merchandise locally, then scour the web for the best price (and likely not have to pay sales tax.)

Yes, "showrooming" is a major issue for local retailers.

I have a friend who virtually always buys whatever products via Amazon (and subscribes to their Amazon Prime plan). He encourages me to always shop online and I said to him:
"Well, just think about it. If we all just did all or nearly all of our durable goods shopping online only and bypassed the local retailers altogether or nearly altogether, our cities, towns, suburbs, villages, hamlets, et al would all become virtual ghost towns . . . barren landscapes with little commercial activity beyond certain types of services (like, for example, food stores, barbers, hair salons, and shoe repair shops only) and nothing or virtually nothing else. The whole nature of our living habitat or living environment of our cities, et al would radically change and not for the better. I very much do want to see the local retail market survive and thrive (and, by the way, I'm not partisan to mom-and-pop operations or non-chain operations and against chain stores-- unlike some persons who have a bias against the "big guys" versus the "little guys" --but feel that whoever amongst them manages to survive and thrive, let it be so but simply let there be a healthy semblance of an active and thriving local retail scene wherever we live. Tell me, my friend, would you like to live in a world without all the local stores to draw upon? Well, they can't be here to enrich our lives and make the character of our cities, towns, etc. if we don't ever or rarely ever patronize and buy from them."

And he thought about it a moment and said "Yeah, I see what you mean. I never thought of it that way. I agree." He still buys from Amazon but now does see the value of at least checking out the local retail scene as well to see if he can get it locally and, only if he can't find what he wants or needs and at a reasonable-enough price (even if not the absolutely very lowest price), then he looks at the online options.

Last edited by UsAll; 03-02-2014 at 02:57 PM..

Old 03-02-2014, 01:47 PM

420 posts, read 823,497 times
Amazon, sometimes Newegg. For cables and stuff, monoprice.com (or their listings on Amazon).

Best Buy
Radioshack

Old 03-02-2014, 01:54 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
I bought my last laptop at B&H.

I used to go to Micro Center when I lived in another state. There was a store a few miles from my old apartment. However, I don't anticipate going to another one. It's too easy to buy online these days.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:34 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,204 times
Play with it in the store, then buy it online at Newegg. Screw paying NYS sales tax. They already tax away so much of my income.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:21 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
I have not bought any electronic goods from any NY business in years. The last time was for an iPad 3 that I stood on line to get and sold it for a profit. Other than that I can't recommend any place here because the sales tax is outrageous.

NY is one of the states lobbying and pushing to get the internet tax laws passed so that all online purchases will get taxed.

It sucks that Amazon was forced by NY to collect tax and they have no warehouse anywhere in NY.

If they want to push sales taxes on all internet purchases, they better cut income and property taxes or else I refuse to buy from any retailers online.

I'll just go and buy from Tigerdirect with Bitcoins.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:30 PM

Just mentioning for information sake (not otherwise promoting any commercial enterprises to you, as your end choices for shopping are obviously up to you):

I just noticed in passing a few days ago (on the Micro Center website) that MICRO CENTER's new Brooklyn store is now OPEN for business. The store is listed on the Micro Center website as "Brooklyn/Gowanus Expwy". Its location and contact info is as follows:

850 3rd Avenue
Corner of 31st Street and 3rd Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11232
(347) 563-9880

Its hours are: Mondays thru Saturdays 10 am - 9 pm and Sundays 11 am - 6 pm. It is closest to either the 25th St. stop on the MTA "R" subway line or else the 36th St. stop on the MTA "D" or "N" or "R" subway lines.

And its other soon-to-be opened New York City store (to be located in the Kew Garden Hills/Pomonok section of Flushing, Queens -- on Kissena Boulevard near 71st Avenue) is expected to open as well shortly (presumably in the remainder of March or else in April 2014).

Other than the two above-mentioned stores (one opened and the other soon-to-be-opened), the greater Downstate NY area is served by 3 other Micro Center locations: Westbury (Nassau County), Yonkers (Westchester County), and Paterson (New Jersey).

Old 03-15-2014, 11:19 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Taxes in NYC is a killer, would never buy anything expensive and pay the exorbitant 8.6% sales tax.

If you want to shop locally go to Paterson, NJ for Microcenter. They get a special 3.5% sales tax incentive by the state to compete against places like Newegg that collects no sales tax to NYC.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:05 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,098,813 times
Never heard of Microcenter. Why are you promoting Microcenter so heavily,Usall?
Still using a microwave bought from Crazy Eddie in 1988. The microwave that will not die. The last computer I bought in a store was in 1998. Got a camera from J&R recently because they had the best price for the model I wanted. B&H gives me bad vibes. Mostly use Newegg these days.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vall View Post
Never heard of Microcenter. Why are you promoting Microcenter so heavily,Usall?
Still using a microwave bought from Crazy Eddie in 1988. The microwave that will not die. The last computer I bought in a store was in 1998. Got a camera from J&R recently because they had the best price for the model I wanted. B&H gives me bad vibes. Mostly use Newegg these days.
I'm not "promoting" Micro Center (nor any other commercial enterprise); I've shopped at all the retailers mentioned by myself thus far over time and have purchased online as well (at times). I'm merely informing people of its existence, as it is not just another "run-of-the-mill" retail operation or just another "me-too" store but rather an enormous superstore of everything computers and electronics and, more often than not, has quite low prices compared to everyone else across-the-board (usually the lowest of any local retailers and often enough at least meeting, if not beating, an online price) and a very wide selection across-the-board. And they most often have the type of products or particular models that no other local retailers stock (or, if other local retailers have the item, it is often at a higher-- or even notably higher --price).

I've merely been operating on the premise that people who use computer- and electronics-related goods and accessories (not focusing on appliances like microwaves, refrigerators, or air conditioners) as a way-of-life would like to know of such a place that is LOCAL. If you are one who uses computer- and electronics-related goods and accessories as a way-of-life or as your profession, you'd likley appreciate knowing about it and knowing that it is there as a LOCAL option. Other than that, I'm not partisan to them nor anyone else and don't work for them nor anyone else. I've shopped/bought at ALL the sellers you've mentioned as well (other than Crazy Eddie).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City