Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2014, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,766 times

Advertisements

So this is a stretch, but I'm a recent college grad, and it has always been my dream to live in a Brooklyn brownstone. I know Brownstones nowadays are ridiculously expensive but that there are still some that live in rent stabilized one with really cheap rents. I'm talking like 1980's prices. Does this still even exist? Im willing to search the entire borough of Brooklyn and every brownstone in it for this. I just need more info to start my search. Possibly if someone was moving out that's lived there for years. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 06:49 PM

197 posts, read 517,662 times
If someone was living in one of those ridiculously low rent apartments, there is no way a landlord will just turn it over to you for the same price. And there is no way one of the tenants is just going to give it up unless they are dying and even then they might have some relative trying to succeed.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:36 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,259,290 times
The answer is no. And as a renter, living in a brownstone is probably overrated. Get the cheapest place you can find in a building and neighborhood that meets your criteria. Don't throw out extra money on rent.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:05 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
It is becoming very difficult to impossible to find apartments in any of the "hot" or "trendy" areas of Brooklyn. Those buildings are being converted back to private homes at stunning rates.

You *might* find an owner that is renting out an apartment or two, but most do not plan on doing this long term. For some it is the only way atm they can afford the building, that is income from rent helps pay their mortgage and other costs. But as economic times improve for the "one percent", and or they find other ways of financing shouldn't count on being in that apartment long.

Areas that *may* have the sort of housing you are looking for are probably in parts of Bedford Stuyvesant or other areas that aren't "there" just yet.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:34 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uha68 View Post
So this is a stretch, but I'm a recent college grad, and it has always been my dream to live in a Brooklyn brownstone. I know Brownstones nowadays are ridiculously expensive but that there are still some that live in rent stabilized one with really cheap rents. I'm talking like 1980's prices. Does this still even exist? Im willing to search the entire borough of Brooklyn and every brownstone in it for this. I just need more info to start my search. Possibly if someone was moving out that's lived there for years. Thank you!
it is LEGALLY possible but not ACTUALLY possible because City agencies collude with landlords in avoiding the Rent Stabilization Law.
The ONLY way you will succeed is to know the exiting tenant and have him testify to a judge as to the rent he paid when he left. This is unlikely to ever occur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City