Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 08:37 PM

107 posts, read 224,054 times

Advertisements

Alright so I need to go to 100 Federal Plaza Central Islips in NY. In this booklet it says something about travel hardship postponement and says if my trip exceeds 75-90 minutes, I can change my date so I get a Brooklyn court instead of long island court. How likely would it be for me to get this postponement to Brooklyn?

It also says that I can not bring Cell phones, Cameras or recorders. I assume its because they all have a recording device in them. The last jury duty I've done was in state court and I've seen people bring in cellphones, tablets, etc. . .Can I really not bring them with me? Does this also include entertainment devices like a Nintendo DS, PSP or something without a recording device?

Lastly, will this be the same as state court where I'm sitting in a waiting area waiting for my name to be called? Will it be the same process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 01:21 PM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Since this court is located in Long Island, you might want to post this question in the Long Island forum for more replies.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:27 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calusblade View Post
It also says that I can not bring Cell phones, Cameras or recorders. I assume its because they all have a recording device in them. The last jury duty I've done was in state court and I've seen people bring in cellphones, tablets, etc. . .Can I really not bring them with me? Does this also include entertainment devices like a Nintendo DS, PSP or something without a recording device?
I was at this court house for a citizenship ceremony. Because it is a federal court house, no cell phones or recording devices / cameras are allowed inside the court room.

When you enter the building, you and your belongings will go through security and metal detectors. They will have you check-in your electronic devices and give you a numbered pass for when you leave to retrieve them. When I was there, I needed to call work while waiting for the ceremony and they did allow me to take the phone back briefly, stepping to the other side of security, and then check it back in again.

I did see someone in the courtroom with an Ipad. I don't know if that was an oversight, or whether those types of devices (which do have cameras and recording capability...) are actually allowed. Nintendo/PSP might be allowed. I would call the court house.

It really doesn't take 90 minutes to get there from the city. From Queens it took me ~40 minutes to get there.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:32 PM

275 posts, read 572,192 times
I live in NYC and stated in a letter that I want a travel hardship postponement. It was granted for four months later at the Courthouse in Brooklyn. It's no trouble at all, just send a letter.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:45 PM

445 posts, read 1,448,231 times
In response to your last question, it's the same process. I was called for Federal jury duty in Brooklyn a couple of years ago. We were assigned numbers and had to fill out a lengthy questionnaire. A week later, some of us were summoned to court for voir dire (jury questioning). We all were assigned numbers. They never got up to my number so I ended up being dismissed.

And as others have said, you can't bring cell phones. I brought a book to pass the time.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:45 PM

107 posts, read 224,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
I was at this court house for a citizenship ceremony. Because it is a federal court house, no cell phones or recording devices / cameras are allowed inside the court room.

When you enter the building, you and your belongings will go through security and metal detectors. They will have you check-in your electronic devices and give you a numbered pass for when you leave to retrieve them. When I was there, I needed to call work while waiting for the ceremony and they did allow me to take the phone back briefly, stepping to the other side of security, and then check it back in again.

I did see someone in the courtroom with an Ipad. I don't know if that was an oversight, or whether those types of devices (which do have cameras and recording capability...) are actually allowed. Nintendo/PSP might be allowed. I would call the court house.

It really doesn't take 90 minutes to get there from the city. From Queens it took me ~40 minutes to get there.
I don't live in the city sadly. I live in the lower part of Brooklyn. (marine park) Hopefully they let me have my PSP and Nintendo DS cause I'm an extremely picky reading when it comes to novels, manga, news papers, etc. . .

Old 03-03-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calusblade View Post
I don't live in the city sadly. I live in the lower part of Brooklyn. (marine park) Hopefully they let me have my PSP and Nintendo DS cause I'm an extremely picky reading when it comes to novels, manga, news papers, etc. . .
Um, FYI.... Brooklyn is part of the city....

And have others said, why not write a letter to see if you can have it moved/rescheduled??

Old 03-03-2014, 06:02 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Um, FYI.... Brooklyn is part of the city....

And have others said, why not write a letter to see if you can have it moved/rescheduled??
You've never heard the expression "the city" -- referring to Manhattan? It was one of the first New Yorker expressions I noted when I moved here. I learned to say it from people who grew up here.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You've never heard the expression "the city" -- referring to Manhattan? It was one of the first New Yorker expressions I noted when I moved here. I learned to say it from people who grew up here.

There have been posts about this before. Some people use it to refer to the whole city. Some use it referring to Manhattan. For me, the city means NYC. I also grew up here.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:14 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
There have been posts about this before. Some people use it to refer to the whole city. Some use it referring to Manhattan. For me, the city means NYC. I also grew up here.
My point is that it's a legitimate, albeit vernacular, way of referring to Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City