Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 02:19 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,439 times

Advertisements

if you have a good cell phone & provider w/ 4G coverage you can tether your phone

i did it for a while with pdanet, the speed was good enough because i could watch netflix w/o stopping/buffering

think i was getting like 10mbps dn & like 2mbps up... and that was before they had the lte svc

i still do it when i need a connection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 02:22 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,231,782 times
Why not hang out at Starbucks or Mickey D's where there's free Wifi? LOL

I keed, I keed!

OP, is your internet/WiFi speed with TWC upgraded?

Not sure if this might help, but I had a similar situation where I needed WiFi tethered to my laptop. It's an add-on to your cell phone service. You are basically your own WiFi. With AT&T it's called MiFi (something like that). It's an option that you're not contracted into so you can cancel or sign up for it when needed. The phone I had at the time didn't support this service so I wasn't able to get it. It's not cheap but if you're in a bind it might be good as a last resort.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:04 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,265,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internetz View Post
I never went that route but my impression of it is a) it's not that fast and b) It's an expensive addition to my life for a back up plan.

Ugh.... AM I really just **** out of luck?
The LTE services on some providers can actually be very fast--sometimes faster than your home internet though that varies by location and carrier.

I suggested it because most people already have data service on their smartphone. If you added tethering you could connect your laptop. However, if you are going to need to send very large files or stream audio or video then it may not be financially feasible. If you are just using it for email and online collaboration then it will be more than enough.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:45 PM

34,043 posts, read 47,260,557 times
I just tested my speed with speakeasy.net, 21/2 with Time Warner. I have 2 Apple TVs, 2 Samsung Galaxy phones, a Samsung Prism phone, an Xbox 360, an iPod Touch, a Wii and a Galaxy tablet in my house. In addition to the desktop. More than enough speed for me and nothing lags. What are you guys doing at home that you need so much speed?? Making Pixar movies??? Lol.

My building is wired for Fios, but why pay $100 for 1 year when they're just going to double it the following year anyway.

I pay $190 a month total (that includes taxes) for Time Warner. This is what I have:
3 HD boxes (one of those boxes has DVR)
Showtime
Internet
Telephone

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-05-2014, 05:53 PM

420 posts, read 823,408 times
If you have a smartphone, maybe look into an unlimited data plan and tether your computer to it.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:47 AM

15,827 posts, read 14,466,566 times
Is anyone selling unlimited plans anymore?

Also, even if your unlimited, you can still get throttled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
If you have a smartphone, maybe look into an unlimited data plan and tether your computer to it.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
Tethering is not unlimited. It's an added service and you only get a certain amount of gigs or MB's. The more you pay the more MB's you get. No one does unlimited anymore. Before I got my Galaxy I had an old smartphone that was "grandfathered" in the unlimited service plans. Once that phone crapped out and I upgraded I lost my "unlimited" plan.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I just tested my speed with speakeasy.net, 21/2 with Time Warner. I have 2 Apple TVs, 2 Samsung Galaxy phones, a Samsung Prism phone, an Xbox 360, an iPod Touch, a Wii and a Galaxy tablet in my house. In addition to the desktop. More than enough speed for me and nothing lags. What are you guys doing at home that you need so much speed?? Making Pixar movies??? Lol.

My building is wired for Fios, but why pay $100 for 1 year when they're just going to double it the following year anyway.

I pay $190 a month total (that includes taxes) for Time Warner. This is what I have:
3 HD boxes (one of those boxes has DVR)
Showtime
Internet
Telephone
Wow, $190? That's a lot. Even after they double the price after a year, you get more with FiOS than TWC. I remember paying almost that much with TWC when I lived in Queens and that was without the phone. I had 2 or 3 major movie channels and Roadrunner, which I thought wasn't great but was better than dial up.

I now pay less than $190 (including all those taxes and fees) with FiOS triple pay which includes:
Phone
Internet (50/25 Mbps)
2 HD boxes-1 is the main DVR but we can watch DVR programs from any room
1 standard box
HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Epix, STARZ, Movie Channel...there's more channels but too many to list.

Smart TV, Wii, iphone and 2 Galaxy cell phones, itouch and 2 laptops are constantly running when we're home. We never have a problem. Logging onto the laptop and downloads are instant.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:33 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Tethering is not unlimited. It's an added service and you only get a certain amount of gigs or MB's. The more you pay the more MB's you get. No one does unlimited anymore. Before I got my Galaxy I had an old smartphone that was "grandfathered" in the unlimited service plans. Once that phone crapped out and I upgraded I lost my "unlimited" plan.
my experience is on business lines they dontr eally monitor the usage (i used sprint)

personal line (sprint) their computers monitor the type of traffic and can tell if somethings being tethered...the 'hide tether' option works

i've used like 300GB on tether before when i didnt have regular internet...no issues

i know in the fine print there is usually a cap on unlimited but you have to be seriously violating before they do anything

Old 03-06-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
my experience is on business lines they dontr eally monitor the usage (i used sprint)

personal line (sprint) their computers monitor the type of traffic and can tell if somethings being tethered...the 'hide tether' option works

i've used like 300GB on tether before when i didnt have regular internet...no issues

i know in the fine print there is usually a cap on unlimited but you have to be seriously violating before they do anything
so I could have tapped into the tethering until I got caught?! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City