Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2007, 09:32 PM

55 posts, read 256,519 times

Advertisements

Ok, I've gotten lots of advice. Thank you!

I am still considering Bay Ridge, but if I could get closer and save a little time, that would be great.

From all of what I have seen, the jury is still out on Sunset Park. Some like it, some dont. Again, I will have family of 4, two small kids, 3 and 5. I will work in midtown.

Does anyone have 1st hand experience living there or can tell me more about it in the sense of family living there? Are there sections that are better than others, and if so, where should I concentrate my searh?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 10:52 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
I don't know if I'd say that the "jury is still out" on Sunset Park. Bay Ridge has always been a nicer neighborhood than Sunset Park. Thats why the housing stock is better.

Sunset Park is mostly Hispanic in the Western section and mostly Chinese in the eastern part.

Its not a bad neighborhood, but to be honest its nothing to write home about.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:02 AM

Is it worth checking out?

Old 12-04-2007, 12:45 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,185 times
Ofcourse, check it out. You either like what you see, or you don't.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:17 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Sunset Park....

Pros....
1) Cheaper southern alternative to Park Slope
2) Still good commute to Manhattan
3) The actual Park is very nice, on the hill

Cons....
1) Very dense, especially along 5th Ave from 44th to 60th Street
2) Some buildings are not well maintained, so check building out
3) Cheaper, but wont be very cheap for long

Old 12-04-2007, 05:49 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
My personal feeling is that if you have only a few days to look for a place (that was you, right?) and your wife is going to be home all day with the kids homeschooling while you work -- that you should be concentrating on finding her and them a nice neighborhood to enjoy while you go to work.

The extra few minutes of commute that you add on by being in Bay Ridge rather than Sunset Park is insignificant.

As you can see, I am a Bay Ridge fan and not a Sunset Park fan!

Old 12-04-2007, 06:24 AM

Yeah, I am leaning that way as well. I will probably check both of them out, but from everything I have seen, Bay Ridge seems like a good fit.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:45 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
Yeah Bay Ridge is definitely a whole lot better than Sunset Park. Furthermore if you aren't either Hispanic or Chinese you're definitely going to stick out in Sunset Park like a sore thumb.

Have you considered the burbs though? You mentioned that you will be working in Midtown. You can easily take the train from New Jersey or Long Island into Penn Station.

Have you been to Brooklyn before? You might be in for some culture shock moving straight from outside of the area into Southern Brooklyn. All of the trendy, gentrified/hipster-fied, areas of Brooklyn are in the Northern part of Brooklyn. Southern Brooklyn is a completley different area in both culture and location.

Definitely check it out though. Bay Ridge is one of the nicer areas of Brooklyn.

You might also want to check out Forest Hills in Queens. That is another Upper-Middle class neighborhood in the Outer Boroughs. From Forest Hills you can take the E train which runs express into Manhattan. The cost of rent is higher in Forest Hills, but I think the commute will end up being shorter.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:19 PM

Yeah, I am anticipating some culture shock. I have lived all over the country. I am originally from Houston, but have lived in western New York, parts of Texas, Utah and NC. I have to live in Brooklyn for my job, even though my office and part of my time will be spent in midtown. I have been to Brooklyn Heights, DUMBO, Boerum Hill, and Fort Green/Clinton Hill (?) and even stayed in a hotel in East New York around Broadway Junction, riding the A/C in to the city.

Of course, visiting is not like living in a place, so we are expecting some adjustment. My main thing is cost and safety for my family. After these things, the commute time. I don't think I can find a 1600 a month apartment in Park Slope - maybe I'm wrong. We are a family of 4 looking for a 2 bedroom, possibly a 3 bedroom at the right price. That is what has generated the interest in Sunset Park. I also like Windsor Terrace, but can't seem to find much in that price range on Craigslist. I dont have the money for a realtor really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City