Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You in Favor of Charter Schools?
Yes 41 46.07%
No 39 43.82%
Undecided 9 10.11%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 02:48 PM

47 posts, read 43,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Are we talking fantasy rates or reality rates?

Because if you're interested in reality:

"On average, students at charter schools stay at their schools at a higher rate than students at nearby traditional public schools. About 70 percent of students attending charter schools in school year 2008-2009 remained in the same school three years later, compared with 61 percent of students attending nearby traditional public schools three years later."

Staying or Going? Comparing Student Attrition Rates at Charter Schools with Nearby Traditional Public Schools
Did you miss this part of your own article

"The one major exception is special education students, who leave charter schools at a much higher rate than either general education students in charter schools or special education students in traditional public schools. Only 20 percent of students classified as requiring special education services who started kindergarten in charter schools remained in the same school after three years."

Hmmmm counseling out special education students at an 80 percent rate?

Also there is this

"The main differences regarding student composition between charters and traditional public schools lie in the rates of serving special education students and English language learner (ELL) students. About 7 percent of kindergarten students in nearby traditional public schools are special education students; the share in charter schools is less than 1 percent. The difference in rates of serving ELL students is similarly large—18 percent in traditional public schools compared with 4 percent in charter schools. These differences have been noted in other studies of charter schools in New York City. The brief revisits the issue of special education students later in Figure 2 and Tables 6 and 7."

And you are still trying to argue they are similar populations?

Seriously did you even read your own article?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 03:12 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,691,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpyaks View Post
And you are still trying to argue they are similar populations?

Seriously did you even read your own article?
I understand that you're not educated on the subject, so I'll help you out:

IBO admits charter school special ed attrition numbers missed the full picture | Chalkbeat

Old 04-01-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I understand that you're not educated on the subject, so I'll help you out:

IBO admits charter school special ed attrition numbers missed the full picture | Chalkbeat
So full time special education students still had the ultra high rate of attrition. And that doesn't address the second finding in the report.

The main differences regarding student composition between charters and traditional public schools lie in the rates of serving special education students and English language learner (ELL) students. About 7 percent of kindergarten students in nearby traditional public schools are special education students; the share in charter schools is less than 1 percent. The difference in rates of serving ELL students is similarly large—18 percent in traditional public schools compared with 4 percent in charter schools. These differences have been noted in other studies of charter schools in New York City. The brief revisits the issue of special education students later in Figure 2 and Tables 6 and 7

So once again you are still arguing that they have similar populations?

And its pretty clear who the uneducated one in this thread is....you are discrediting the same report you just touted and you still havent addressed the discrepancy between ELLs and Special Education students starting Kindergarten.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:31 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,691,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpyaks View Post
So full time special education students still had the ultra high rate of attrition. And that doesn't address the second finding in the report.

The main differences regarding student composition between charters and traditional public schools lie in the rates of serving special education students and English language learner (ELL) students. About 7 percent of kindergarten students in nearby traditional public schools are special education students; the share in charter schools is less than 1 percent. The difference in rates of serving ELL students is similarly large—18 percent in traditional public schools compared with 4 percent in charter schools. These differences have been noted in other studies of charter schools in New York City. The brief revisits the issue of special education students later in Figure 2 and Tables 6 and 7

So once again you are still arguing that they have similar populations?

And its pretty clear who the uneducated one in this thread is....you are discrediting the same report you just touted and you still havent addressed the discrepancy between ELLs and Special Education students starting Kindergarten.
Let's take a step back for a second and understand what special education kids are. "Special Education" is an umbrella term that applies to a wide range of types of kids including those that have emotional / behavioral issues and problems with following along. A significant number of those issues are a direct result of, quite frankly, bad parenting. Those types parents are for obvious reasons not going to be the most likely to even know what a charter school is, let alone go through the process of enrolling to help their kids get a better education that the zoned option if it is bad. So just based on that alone, it would make sense that there would be less in charter schools.

Back to the IBO study - they admitted that they didn't count properly. If they had properly identified all the special ed kids they would have found that their rate of attrition was no larger than at district run schools:
Report: District-charter special ed gap not from “counseling out” | Chalkbeat

The bottom line number is that the TOTAL NUMBER of ALL KIDS staying at charters (70%) is 9% HIGHER than DOE run schools. There is no way around that fact, I'm sorry if that's inconvenient for you

Old 04-01-2014, 03:33 PM

125 posts, read 115,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrand4 View Post
dint click the link.... but i take your word for it blake
whats WRONG with them then?
are they drug addicted n cant pass a urine test?
Bad credit? PEDOPHILES?
Gangbangin thugs fresh out the joint?

why would MASTER DEGREES HOLDING CERTIFIED NYC TEACHERS work for minimum wage
short answer?

FACT-CHECK
Principal at Brooklyn charter school has a long résumé—of faking his résumés

by Sarah Darville on February 13, 2014

Principal at Brooklyn charter school has a long résumé

Quote:
He lied and was forced out of a job for it—and then he did it again. Now a city charter school has hired him to be its principal.
Despite being forced out of jobs in education over the last seven years once employers found discrepancies in his résumé, Lewis Thomas III is now in charge of Urban Dove Team Charter School, a transfer school in Bedford-Stuyvesant where he oversees 182 students at risk of not graduating from high school.

The hiring raises questions about how charter schools screen their leaders, since details that undercut Thomas’s story of his background were readily available.

OOOPS THERE IT IS

Old 04-01-2014, 04:12 PM

198 posts, read 273,633 times
Default Charter Schools

Quote:
Its called LYING, my dear.... pure UNADULTERATED LYING.... thanx for proving my point that you charter school proponents IN MY EXPERIENCE are nothing more than lying cheating thieves
You are incapable of having a civil conversation...thus, I won't bother wasting my time on you.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Let's take a step back for a second and understand what special education kids are. "Special Education" is an umbrella term that applies to a wide range of types of kids including those that have emotional / behavioral issues and problems with following along. A significant number of those issues are a direct result of, quite frankly, bad parenting.
You are going to have source this because frankly, it is bull****.

Quote:
Those types parents are for obvious reasons not going to be the most likely to even know what a charter school is, let alone go through the process of enrolling to help their kids get a better education that the zoned option if it is bad. So just based on that alone, it would make sense that there would be less in charter schools.
So based on that they are a self selecting pool of applicants so by its nature it will be different from public schools. Once again failing to make your argument that the population in each school is even remotely similar.

Quote:
Back to the IBO study - they admitted that they didn't count properly. If they had properly identified all the special ed kids they would have found that their rate of attrition was no larger than at district run schools:
Report: District-charter special ed gap not from “counseling out” | Chalkbeat

The bottom line number is that the TOTAL NUMBER of ALL KIDS staying at charters (70%) is 9% HIGHER than DOE run schools. There is no way around that fact, I'm sorry if that's inconvenient for you
Yet again you fail to address the Special Education and ELL gaps in charter schools, which once again points to charter schools failing to get an accurate sampling of kids from any given neighborhood. You keep trying to run from this point, and its obvious why. Why don't you come up with an actual explanation as to why those SPED and ELL numbers are so much lower if everyone has an equal chance of going to a charter school.

And after all that Charter Schools still don't statistically raise test scores even with lower numbers of ELLs and SPED students.

You are also quoting a "report" from a charter advocate think tank... not exactly a reliable source

Old 04-01-2014, 04:23 PM

15,577 posts, read 15,622,789 times
Sure. If you've never heard a legitimate argument, you either weren't asking the right people, or weren't listening. Watch the past Bill Moyers program, which covered some bad aspects of charter schools.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:48 PM

125 posts, read 115,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitteagirl View Post
You are incapable of having a civil conversation...thus, I won't bother wasting my time on you.
LOL i actually THANKED YOU in advance for providing answers to my querys BASED on your experience but u couldnt waste your time doing that either
sooo thanks for nothing ....cuz your experiences in the DEPT of Corrections dont count anyway
BUHBYE

Old 04-01-2014, 05:34 PM

38 posts, read 41,450 times
Quote:
LOL i actually THANKED YOU in advance for providing answers to my querys BASED on your experience but u couldnt waste your time doing that either
sooo thanks for nothing ....cuz your experiences in the DEPT of Corrections dont count anyway
BUHBYE
How do immature people like this get allowed on a bulletin board? Isn't there a child's bulletin board they could go to somewhere? I thought you had to be at least 18 to be on this bulletin board. This guy writes and speaks as though he were a high schooler...or maybe middle school. Maybe if he had attended a Charter School, he would be capable of carrying on a conversation without being so insulting to people. He has nothing intelligent to offer. He certainly isn't capable of carrying on a conversation with adults. No wonder nobody wants to waste their time addressing his questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City