Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You in Favor of Charter Schools?
Yes 41 46.07%
No 39 43.82%
Undecided 9 10.11%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 02:17 PM

589 posts, read 1,215,819 times

Advertisements

Charter schools place a private management team in a public space and they also utilize public funding. Similar to a BID, a charter school only really benefits those who are the top of the chain at the expense of poorer, less connected people.

If the teacher union did not protect bad apples a charter school would look less desirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 02:27 PM

8,618 posts, read 10,993,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Union bosses salaries are paid for by the teachers. It comes from their salaries, not the taxpayers.
and who pays the teachers?

Old 03-06-2014, 02:28 PM

4,167 posts, read 4,021,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
So your argument against parents having a charter school option boils down to "I don't like that people who run these schools can make 500K salaries"?

Assuming that Success does give your child a better education, why should it matter to any of us? Don't forget that charter schools get no more funding from taxpayers than DOE schools do
I don't see any evidence that charters really provide a better education. I'm not convinced that improved test scores mean anything more than they are teaching to the test.

Follow the money. Charters are enriching a group of people whose primary achievement is running charter schools.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:30 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,620,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
\a charter school only really benefits those who are the top of the chain at the expense of poorer, less connected people.
This blatantly false. BY LAW, charter school admissions are carried out by random select (lottery). The process must be transparent and auditors observe the selection. The poor child in the projects has exactly the same odds of being selected as does the trust fund child in the luxury condo

Old 03-06-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I don't see any evidence that charters really provide a better education. I'm not convinced that improved test scores mean anything more than they are teaching to the test.

Follow the money. Charters are enriching a group of people whose primary achievement is running charter schools.
There seems to be debate as to whether charter schools provide a better education or not. Like anything, I think it depends on the school. At a minimum, they must offer the same common core curriculum, and failing schools get their charter revoked. The successful ones will attract the most applicants and will prosper, and obviously the people who own or manage these schools benefit financially. This is how the private sector works, business are run for profit - there's nothing wrong with that. Why be envious of them if your child is better off?

Old 03-06-2014, 03:07 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,604,659 times
Quote:
Actually, you unwittingly just made a case for charter schools. The fact that charters are not subject to the same broken DOE rules is an ideal laboratory for implementing current and novel approaches to education which are not possible in union & red-tape bound DOE schools.

Simply "not liking" a particular administrator of a charter school is no reason to condemn our kids to local zoned schools with no other option than to move out of NYC or mortgage your future on private school.
No, I didn't. Public schools hate being subjected to broken DOE rules that teachers did not create. So why not just let public schools do those same things? Let them track by ability, discipline, and not be hampered by red tape. It's rather stunning, that you think stacking the deck against one group while coddling the other (charters) makes it a fair comparison, much less inventive teaching.

As for "condemning" kids to "failing" schools, they live where they do and its a parents responsibility to make sure a school functions well and be sure their child studies hard. They are paying taxes that benefit the area they live in, so it's up to them how much they want to spend and how much care their schools need. They can't expect someone else to pick up the tab (another district, or taxpayers for vouchers) because they don't want to care for their local buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
and who pays the teachers?
You the taxpayer, but that doesn't mean you can tell people how to spend their money. Why do you think you can?

Old 03-06-2014, 03:08 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,604,659 times
Quote:
There seems to be debate as to whether charter schools provide a better education or not. Like anything, I think it depends on the school. At a minimum, they must offer the same common core curriculum, and failing schools get their charter revoked. The successful ones will attract the most applicants and will prosper, and obviously the people who own or manage these schools benefit financially. This is how the private sector works, business are run for profit - there's nothing wrong with that. Why be envious of them if your child is better off?
Oh boy, we've heard for years how the schools should be run like a business and it just doesn't work that way when it comes to dealing with people, especially children. I really think you should step into a school and teach for a week before you make decisions on how things should be done.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Oh boy, we've heard for years how the schools should be run like a business and it just doesn't work that way when it comes to dealing with people, especially children. I really think you should step into a school and teach for a week before you make decisions on how things should be done.
The business people manage the schools, the teachers manage the children. It doesn't follow that a school cannot be run as a business. I'm not a teacher, I wouldn't try to teach children a particular subject, and neither would Eva Moscowitz

Old 03-06-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
No, I didn't. Public schools hate being subjected to broken DOE rules that teachers did not create. So why not just let public schools do those same things? Let them track by ability, discipline, and not be hampered by red tape.
Because the teacher's union won't let them, hence charter schools. If you can find a way to blow up the UFT then maybe we can get somewhere

Old 03-06-2014, 03:17 PM

8,618 posts, read 10,993,918 times
Quote:

You the taxpayer, but that doesn't mean you can tell people how to spend their money. Why do you think you can?
not me! bwhahahahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City