Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 06:18 PM

7,644 posts, read 6,441,023 times

Advertisements

Its kind of strange that there are no departure boards in the port authority when you walk in? What if your gate as changed. Penn station has a departure boards.

The Atlantic City bus station and the greyhound bus terminal in philly are nicer than the port authority. For a world class city, its a shame the port authority doesn't get fixed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 06:22 PM

33,795 posts, read 47,033,072 times
Yes there are boards - Amtrak has them

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-08-2014, 06:29 PM

10,220 posts, read 19,148,040 times
Amtrak has departure boards at Penn Station. No one has departure boards at the Port Authority Bus Terminal, but having taken the 77 from there for a while, I think that's because no one really has any idea when the buses are going to leave.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:49 AM

7,348 posts, read 6,501,221 times
As a visitor to New York, I agree. Though my complaint extends to the overall lack of signage. In most cities, when a local bus route is said to serve a major bus station, it actually serves the station itself. A few years ago, when I was looking for bus route M42, I assumed like most cities, it served the bus terminal itself, and when we got off the subway, went up, down and all around looking for anything that even mentioned local buses. Nadda. Fortunately, we encountered an individual who was helpful enough to point us in the right direction that M42 actually just served the street. Now I'm sure most New Yorkers would know this, and if I was someplace else that was either a destination, or primarily a place for local traffic, I'd agree. But of all the places that I would expect to see helpful signage, it is a place that at least partially exists for visitors coming in on intercity buses. For the local service, I don't expect much, even just a simple sign "Local buses board on street" would suffice without needing to worry about the possibility of changing routes (such as if the sign read "M42 This Way ->; M20 This Way ^").

Old 03-09-2014, 01:29 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,228,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
there are no departure boards in the port authority
Perhaps it would be a logistical nightmare, to coordinate 223 departure gates. Also, it's not like a rail terminal, where dispatcher control departures. Buses come & go on their own accord.
Port Authority Bus Terminal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-09-2014, 01:49 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,237,911 times
The bus terminal is a joke and a disgrace. I hadn't been there for decades, and then tried to find a bus for my son, who was going back to college. No signs, nobody to help you, nothing. We were walking around in circles.

Quite a contrast to Metro North at Grand Central Station, where there is a huge board, and live help.

Absolutely no excuse for this incompetence. But yet, they keep raising the tolls on the bridges and tunnels. Unbelievable.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:55 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,205,490 times
I used the port authority bus terminal a lot in the 90's and never had any issues. Now a days I use it only to go to one place so I know that bus well.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:55 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,987,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
As a visitor to New York, I agree. Though my complaint extends to the overall lack of signage. In most cities, when a local bus route is said to serve a major bus station, it actually serves the station itself. A few years ago, when I was looking for bus route M42, I assumed like most cities, it served the bus terminal itself, and when we got off the subway, went up, down and all around looking for anything that even mentioned local buses. Nadda. Fortunately, we encountered an individual who was helpful enough to point us in the right direction that M42 actually just served the street. Now I'm sure most New Yorkers would know this, and if I was someplace else that was either a destination, or primarily a place for local traffic, I'd agree. But of all the places that I would expect to see helpful signage, it is a place that at least partially exists for visitors coming in on intercity buses. For the local service, I don't expect much, even just a simple sign "Local buses board on street" would suffice without needing to worry about the possibility of changing routes (such as if the sign read "M42 This Way ->; M20 This Way ^").

The smart visitor researches these things prior to coming and does not assume they know. I know I do before visiting any city for the first time if I expect to take public transportation while visiting.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:15 PM

7,348 posts, read 6,501,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
The smart visitor researches these things prior to coming and does not assume they know. I know I do before visiting any city for the first time if I expect to take public transportation while visiting.
And how was I supposed to research that? Is there a site that says "PABT local buses board on the street?"

Old 03-09-2014, 04:36 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,563,344 times
I think Port Authority is very confusing to those not familiar with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City