Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 10:54 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
O really? Look everyone it's the forum police

What info <insert insults>, she is screwed. All payments done in cash and no legal binding contract. No lease means at will so she has to go. She has 30 days to get out. If she chooses not to leave she goes to court. After 3 months she'll lose and then to prolong her stay she'll appeal just to delay the inevitable. If lucky after her second loss, judge will give give her extra time before she gets the boot.

If she hasn't found a place to stay above best and just **** off the landowner as dancing in the court is better than being homeless.
True. But even if she choses to go to court, she should be rapidly pursuing other options. I'd hope no one is dumb enough to concentrate on the court case and wait until she loses the appeal and end out in the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 10:58 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I don't think they were overall being rude to her. Okay, she could buy herself sometime by fighting in court but she will still ultimately need to move and eviction in this case won't take too long.

Hopefully this teaches her a lesson to make sure she gets a legal apartment with a lease next time. I don't think posts like the OP are actually looking for help so much. While there are posters here who legitimately ask questions for help, others appear to be looking for sympathy and pity. And that's what I think the OP is looking for.
In an attempt to look at the situation fairly, I went back and re-read the OP for a second time. I found what I had found the first time, a "woe is me" post. OP chose to move into that apartment in 2009 after already living upstairs since 2005, and chose to continue to live in that environment up til now.

If it was so horrible, ugly and unsafe, why stay? I know the answer: The price was right. OP was getting what she paid for.

That's what bothers me the most about this post -- it seems like OP thinks because she lived in less than ideal conditions for the last 5 years (even though I'm sure she was getting exactly what she paid for) that somehow the LL must owe her something now that he wants her to move. I just don't understand this sense of entitlement.

Last edited by Henna; 03-11-2014 at 11:13 PM..

Old 03-12-2014, 07:14 AM

2 posts, read 1,821 times
When you are month-to-month, you can be asked to leave with 30 days notice. If you are in an illegal apartment, the city could make you leave with no notice. Your landlord is giving you 3 months to find another place. It sounds like he's trying to be helpful and do the right thing. Start saving every penny you can and start looking for another place.

And, to everyone else, take this as a cautionary tale - you never know when your housing situation could change quickly (especially if you are month-to-month). You should start setting aside some savings/emergency funds set aside for deposits, fees, moving costs.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:23 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanlib2 View Post
When you are month-to-month, you can be asked to leave with 30 days notice. If you are in an illegal apartment, the city could make you leave with no notice. Your landlord is giving you 3 months to find another place. It sounds like he's trying to be helpful and do the right thing. Start saving every penny you can and start looking for another place.

And, to everyone else, take this as a cautionary tale - you never know when your housing situation could change quickly (especially if you are month-to-month). You should start setting aside some savings/emergency funds set aside for deposits, fees, moving costs.
True, and in case of fire, natural disaster, or theft have renters insurance. Obviously if you own you need homeowner's insurance.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:06 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I don't think they were overall being rude to her. Okay, she could buy herself sometime by fighting in court but she will still ultimately need to move and eviction in this case won't take too long.
Go back and read the posts again. They WERE being intentionally nasty and rude to her. She isn't trying to "game" anyone. She was basically lied to by both owners of the home. Is it HER fault for investing some of her OWN money into the home without getting something in writing? Yes, but you live and you learn.

Someone even had the audacity to ask WHY she got herself pregnant?

Like WTF does this have to do with the problem she's having??

Just a bunch of judgmental, angry, bitter trolls.

If you can't help, then don't post.

Quote:
Hopefully this teaches her a lesson to make sure she gets a legal apartment with a lease next time.
Yeah, this was stupid, but you'd be surprised at how many people get gamed like this in not just NYC, but all over the country.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:12 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
O really? Look everyone it's the forum police
I'm the "forum police", because I point out what everyone has been noticing for the past year with this forum? Okay.

Quote:
What info <insert insults>, she is screwed. All payments done in cash and no legal binding contract. No lease means at will so she has to go. She has 30 days to get out. If she chooses not to leave she goes to court. After 3 months she'll lose and then to prolong her stay she'll appeal just to delay the inevitable. If lucky after her second loss, judge will give give her extra time before she gets the boot.
Not necessarily, because YOU say so. She should still get a second opinion from people or organizations more CREDIBLE than a bunch of judgmental, hateful posters on CD.

Quote:
If she hasn't found a place to stay above best and just **** off the landowner as dancing in the court is better than being homeless.
If she hasn't found a place, then she can just stay in the NYC Family Shelter system.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:13 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
yeah you have no choice you have to move. That's why ownership in this life is key
Exactly. I've been through it too, and it's very unsettling. Lived in a place for over eight years and one day landlord said she needed the place for her husband, who she kicked out of the house. So we had to move. It really stunk, and renting stinks...but that's the way it goes.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:29 AM

125 posts, read 115,852 times
yep thats the way it goes .... all the time everywhere and forever and a day In NYC

if you need more time why NOT tie up the Landlord in Court?

he apparently DGAFF about you ....so why should you turn around and say OK Massa Ise goins rite now

GOOGLE squatters rights and adverse posession
tie em up in Court until you find something better cuz
THATS THE WAY OF THE WORLD and he will do it 2 YOU in NY minute
PLAY OR GET PLAYED

Old 03-12-2014, 09:32 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Exactly. I've been through it too, and it's very unsettling. Lived in a place for over eight years and one day landlord said she needed the place for her husband, who she kicked out of the house. So we had to move. It really stunk, and renting stinks...but that's the way it goes.

whether you own or rent the property you live in, you still have to meet financial obligations. If not to your L/L then to the bank that holds your mortgage, the coop board for monthly maintenance or the city for property taxes. Financial obligations don't stop with home ownership.

Home ownership isn't necessarily key in life... What is key, imo, is financial planning.

------

As a side note; A month to month arrangement is a two way street, Where either party can pull the cord at any given time.
If you're in a month to month arrangement you should be prepared and have the funds ready to move if required to.

In the case of the OP, I think the new L/L gave was more than reasonable and gave her plenty of notice.

She has to move. There's no recourse for her. That's the bottom line.

Last edited by likeminas; 03-12-2014 at 09:43 AM..

Old 03-12-2014, 09:38 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,751,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrand4 View Post
yep thats the way it goes .... all the time everywhere and forever and a day In NYC

if you need more time why NOT tie up the Landlord in Court?

he apparently DGAFF about you ....so why should you turn around and say OK Massa Ise goins rite now

GOOGLE squatters rights and adverse posession
tie em up in Court until you find something better cuz
THATS THE WAY OF THE WORLD and he will do it 2 YOU in NY minute
PLAY OR GET PLAYED
If you do this OP...good luck finding another landlord to rent to you, you will need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: