Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2014, 09:32 AM

5,121 posts, read 4,971,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

These kids aren't as stupid as we think, and we are wasting what might be a valuable resource, unless we get them to change the way that they see the world, and away from instant gratification.

BTW not ONE of them said anything about careers in sports or entertainment!

A lot of the "trouble-makers" and underachieving kids at school can be very intelligent in other aspects in life. When I was at school I enjoyed spending time playing with this category of students more than those straight A nerdy kids who are >90% focused on studying. A lot of the underachieving kids do not have the motivation to apply themselves to studying and their parents fail to inspire their interest, or their parents simply are too lazy to bother. Like I said, studying is boring and hard for most humans therefore it requires external force to push/encourage them to move forward. It takes a lot of time and effort on the parents' side unless your kids are self motivated.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:56 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
A lot of the "trouble-makers" and underachieving kids at school can be very intelligent in other aspects in life. When I was at school I enjoyed spending time playing with this category of students more than those straight A nerdy kids who are >90% focused on studying. A lot of the underachieving kids do not have the motivation to apply themselves to studying and their parents fail to inspire their interest, or their parents simply are too lazy to bother. Like I said, studying is boring and hard for most humans therefore it requires external force to push/encourage them to move forward. It takes a lot of time and effort on the parents' side unless your kids are self motivated.
Even the external push might not be enough. There are things to consider such as personal interest and talent.

Also, it takes a lot more than doing well in school to have a successful career. It's not just what you know, it's also whether you can apply that knowledge to real world solutions.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:15 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,817,229 times
External push through parenting and environment isn't everything. Many people are born driven just like many people are lazy.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Even the external push might not be enough. There are things to consider such as personal interest and talent.

Also, it takes a lot more than doing well in school to have a successful career. It's not just what you know, it's also whether you can apply that knowledge to real world solutions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
External push through parenting and environment isn't everything. Many people are born driven just like many people are lazy.
Exactly.

I used to tutor small children, and there were those who read the books eagerly, as well as those who needed to be forced to read ("I'll take away your stickers" or something like that). Of course, parents do play a large role (for instance, when I was in elementary school, I used to love going to the library, but I needed my parents to bring me there), but if the child is motivated, it makes it that much easier. Likewise, if the child is interested in certain topics, it makes it that much easier.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:19 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Hahahaha

You can't handle the truth! Asian students dominate NYC "top" high schools.

Stuyvesant High: Asian-American Domination In Elite Schools Triggers Resentment, Soul Searching

Peeps need to stop hating and whining and get their act's together. *LOL*

Old 03-26-2014, 06:36 PM

74 posts, read 735,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
BTW not ONE of them said anything about careers in sports or entertainment!
I think we should get AA on that too.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:08 PM

725 posts, read 805,664 times
Default Just not capable

Quote:
Originally Posted by westman View Post
Study harder! Spend more time studying. Try to find problems on black and hispanics themselves instead blaming system or other people. Asian is example of minority black and hispanics should learn from, study ethic and work ethic

Studying won't do anything. Some groups as a whole just aren't good at certain things. They are not capable.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW001 View Post
Studying won't do anything. Some groups as a whole just aren't good at certain things. They are not capable.

Like that the majority of asian americans are not capable of signing/dancing/entertaining as a group?

in terms of sports, it is possible that the coming asian amerian generation will outperform in certain areas such as swimming. I have been to a few regional swim meets and was amazed at how some asian kids beat in the pool.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

It is disappointing that even a cornell education could not help twist your twisted view on education back to normal...

Old 03-26-2014, 09:27 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW001 View Post
I'm convinced now that you are stormfront poser or similar.

Just letting you know that this site will not be good for you and your beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City