Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2014, 07:18 AM

13,440 posts, read 15,390,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Children certainly have other influences in life beyond their parents, and there are many other factors into success than parental pushing.

You can't predict what your daughter will be or do in the future. It's ultimately her choice, not yours.

And to excel in a field you have to be talented and/or interested ABOVE and BEYOND the average person. I'll never forget how many freshmen want to be doctors because that's what their parents want them to be. Wait until sophomore or year though. Most would be pre meds end up dropping out. Only those with top grades and top MCAT scores will advance to medical school. The ones who advance are much better than the majority of their peers.

I agree, it's not productive to push kids into a direction that they ultimately aren't interested in, particularly if they are blown out of the water by competitors. These things are true of people regardless of race.
Of course there are other factors and of course I can't predict what my kid does in the future. That's a given. Just because I have high expectations of her doesn't mean that I am unrealistic. My daughter has shown that she has the capability of achievement and Excellence and I will both encourage and support her. I would do her a disservice to have low expectations. There is nothing wrong whatsoever for shooting for the moon even if you only reach the clouds.

My point was that it is total bull**** to attribute poor school performance to genetics. Blacks and Hispanics are not hard wired to fail standardized tests or do poorly in school. I don't consider myself or my husband any sort of anomalies because we performed well. A majority of kids who have nurturing parents, teacher support, and a stable home life will perform the same way. Note, I said majority..not all. To cite genetics (vs. other factors that can be fixed) as a reason for any sort of academic underachievement is to me a cop out.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:42 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,861,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Of course there are other factors and of course I can't predict what my kid does in the future. That's a given. Just because I have high expectations of her doesn't mean that I am unrealistic. My daughter has shown that she has the capability of achievement and Excellence and I will both encourage and support her. I would do her a disservice to have low expectations. There is nothing wrong whatsoever for shooting for the moon even if you only reach the clouds.

My point was that it is total bull**** to attribute poor school performance to genetics. Blacks and Hispanics are not hard wired to fail standardized tests or do poorly in school. I don't consider myself or my husband any sort of anomalies because we performed well. A majority of kids who have nurturing parents, teacher support, and a stable home life will perform the same way. Note, I said majority..not all. To cite genetics (vs. other factors that can be fixed) as a reason for any sort of academic underachievement is to me a cop out.
It's not a cop out. It's just plain racist. With that said, there are plenty of people in all groups/races who don't perform well in school. Many kids really don't like to study (in any race) and it will always remain this way. Of those who do well academically, they tend to have subjects they prefer.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:38 AM

5,040 posts, read 4,912,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

exactly. well said.
indians are known to have lousy performance in international sports events, and in real life you rarely encounter any athletic looking indians. despite that, it would be sheer stupidity to blame them for their genetics but not their failing culture in terms of encourage and support to athletic development.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
exactly. well said.
indians are known to have lousy performance in international sports events, and in real life you rarely encounter any athletic looking indians. despite that, it would be sheer stupidity to blame them for their genetics but not their failing culture in terms of encourage and support to athletic development.
There is no race that's majority athletic looking people. Genetics are only a part of it. To become an athlete not only do you need the body you need to undergo extensive physically training for years and you have to be good at it AND you have to like it.

It's the rare person in any race who is talented enough to become a professional sports player.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:08 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,566,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There is no race that's majority athletic looking people. . . . It's the rare person in any race who is talented enough to become a professional sports player.
Kenyan Iten tribe, .06% of the global population, yet dominates long distance running globally, winning 80% of international races since 1980. Answer: genes.

American Samoa, total population 55,000, tiny island, yet hugely disproportionate number of Samoans in the NFL. Answer: genes.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
Kenyan Iten tribe, .06% of the global population, yet dominates long distance running globally, winning 80% of international races since 1980. Answer: genes.

American Samoa, total population 55,000, tiny island, yet hugely disproportionate number of Samoans in the NFL. Answer: genes.
So these Kenyans from birth just automatically become distance runners, with no training? All people from this Iten tribe are capable of being olympic athletes? Do you have any proof most people from the Iten ethnic group have extraordinary athletic ability? The fact that they dominate long distance running globally is not proof that most Itens have this ability.

Not everyone in the same ethnic group has the same genes, and genes are influenced by environment and upbringing.

Having know many athletes, athletic ability is not 100% genetic. It takes many years of vigorous training even if you have the body and the health for it. You also MUST actually like and be able to endure the training. And the majority of people in Kenya do not train for distance running.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:56 AM

5,040 posts, read 4,912,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post

Before you became so confident about the magics of genes, youshould have dug out your genetics textbook to educate yourself on what is the defining character of classical genetics?...

Got it? The Heritability! So now ask yourself how many of the children of world champs of any sports event become champs after their parents? Does this burst your mythetical beliefs in genes?

Old 03-27-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Before you became so confident about the magics of genes, youshould have dug out your genetics textbook to educate yourself on what is the defining character of classical genetics?...

Got it? The Heritability! So now ask yourself how many of the children of world champs of any sports event become champs after their parents? Does this burst your mythetical beliefs in genes?
Repped! Many world champs spend their money on their children's education and their kids often go a different route. Basically you have some highly motivated people using star athletic ability to become rich.

Also, these same athletes will soon grow too old to play sports. Many of them invest their money in other businesses and/or move on to other professions. Many athletes are over long before they turn 40. It's not something you can do for the rest of your life and a number of former athletes would advise young people (even if they are star athletes) to build up their business abilities and/or education as they will have to learn a living somehow when their days as an athlete are over.

So since age (not old age, just going into one's 30s and 40s) ends the career of all athletes, that also somewhat takes away from the magical genetic argument.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:58 AM

8,012 posts, read 11,366,586 times
no shortage of us in the schools of hard knocks tho.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
exactly. well said.
In recent years the Chinese have given a lot of support to athletic development. Simply put, there's a lot of money there. I'm sure the Indians will as well. They've given a lot of encouragement and support to the film industry.

Simply put, there's a lot of money to be made in media (whether film, sports, news, advertising, social media/networking etc). Obviously these aren't the only money making industry but to ignore markets is just plain ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City