Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2014, 04:38 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,942,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I don't buy into inferiority due to race. I think that many children do not apply themselves, think education is a waste of time or lame, have parents that don't give a ****, aren't confident, aren't motivated. live in inner-city poverty cycles..different things. No widespread genetic trait.
An argument could be made that this poor judgement, particularly on a large scale is a sign of dumbness and that it's genetically a part of these people.

There's no way to 100% know for sure.

Also, I think some of the people on this thread maybe got beat up by thugs multiple times, so they may not be able to see these things rationally. If someone was persecuted by inner city thugs, they are not going to want to go into complex sociology explanations for their behavior. They are just going to see them as bad people, period.

At the end of the day, I know I'm not a thug. Why do some people always act violent and/or stupid? I really not my problem and I have no need to explain or make excuses for it or whatever. I myself avoid those people. Personally I prefer to be around people of any race that are positive, not addicts, not criminals, and that are going out for goals in their lives.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:17 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,698,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
Kenyan Iten tribe, .06% of the global population, yet dominates long distance running globally, winning 80% of international races since 1980. Answer: genes.

American Samoa, total population 55,000, tiny island, yet hugely disproportionate number of Samoans in the NFL. Answer: genes.
Do you realize that becoming a top athlete takes practice? This has nothing to do with genes.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW001 View Post
Some of the things you said may be true but for the past 50 years blacks have been given so many opportunities and there have been so many programs dedicated to fighting poverty and helping people out, and so much affirmative action in college and even employment, that an intelligent person must consider whether failure for the majority of blacks has to do with them being black as opposed to them being held down.

Any talk of racial traits is just a general grouping. The fact is blacks are much more prone to violence, poor performance in schools, have lower IQ's and etc. not all blacks. Just like not all whites are non violent, do well in school or have high IQ's. But stereotypes exist for a reason: they are often true. There are environment and genetic components to them. Don't discount the genetic components.

If you want to discount any treatment suffered by blacks at the hands of the white man, compare sub-Sahara Africa to western white countries. Just admit it that genes play a part.

Again this has nothing to do with race or biological inferiority.

I've seen West African, East Asian and Indian students outperform whites plenty of times.

Just like being a top athlete takes practice and dedication, so does getting good grades in school.

I don't judge a person based on their race, appearance, socioeconomic background, or whatever ascribed traits may be. I judge based on their character.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
You know if you spent your whole life in Appalachia and taught there with 100% poor, uneducated and deprived white kids, then went and taught at majority-Asian Stuy or Bronx Science for a day - your kind of thinking would be "there's some genetic predisposition in white kids to being dumb-As." Low income, poorly-educated whites - people just really aren't exposed to such a demographic in many parts of NYC.

Really, spend some time in Appalachia. You'll see what poverty, grinding stress, fractured cultures and being the underdog can do to a whole generation. Of white people. It ain't genetic.

Groups with a history of negative stereotypes have been shown to do poorly on tests, and its been proven.

This could be somewhat or partially correct.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:34 PM

31,856 posts, read 26,891,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Groups with a history of negative stereotypes have been shown to do poorly on tests, and its been proven.

This could be somewhat or partially correct.
Hmm, guess all those White/European gays that graduated from Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Georgetown, Wharton, Columbia and so forth that are everything from physicians to rain makers at Goldman Sachs didn't get that memo.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Hmm, guess all those White/European gays that graduated from Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Georgetown, Wharton, Columbia and so forth that are everything from physicians to rain makers at Goldman Sachs didn't get that memo.
Gotta read more carefully, BUGSYPAL. lol

Old 03-29-2014, 02:27 PM

898 posts, read 1,217,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
I saw a documentary on this.
The system is broken in the sense not every child has access to such programs to ensure success. What needs to happen is to improve the education system overall and not create an environment of elitism.
no.

i see the chinese men and women slaving away at jobs to send their kids to these programs. it's NOT a "system" that is giving these kids opportunities. it is their parents/families. elitism? how? i see grandmas working collecting nickel coin bottles to recycle or selling fish at chinatown in NYC. how is that elitism? they are working very hard to support the education of their children.

the fact is - black parents (usually, if not always, a single black mom) do not care enough about education as much as they do about "rocking the newest gucci or louis vuitton purse." the money has to go somewhere and they spend it here. the latino parents value family over anything and that may include spending money on things or events, rather than a "professional future."

no one is owed anything because someone else is working hard for it instead. this argument makes no sense. the chinese kids are NOT elite (yes, some are, but in general, they are hard working families who make this happen and spend all the money on education). when i ride the B train, i will see chinese kids buried in books, either at 7:50 am on their way to school or coming back from school. i do not see this from other races. how is this a broken system? you get what you deserve in life. ultimately that's what always ends up happening. this is the reason why i hear people say they won't go to a black doctor because he was given 10 or so extra points on various exams just so he could pass the program which means he is not really qualified and is just an affirmative action token of society. blacks who do earn it are infuriated but they have to deal with it. i know a few blacks who say they hate affirmative action or such "hand outs" by privilege just as much after a point. evening out the playground is a good thing to a point but not to take it this far where the public will discredit you because society felt sorry for you. it dilutes the hard work of anyone.

i think in UCLA or somewhere in cali., the majority of top performers in sciences are asians and now reverse affirmative action is being instituted. why? school is merit-based and if you stink, you don't deserve to be in a top school.

i am not asian (i actually do not like asian culture or food or anything about asia as i am an individualist and have my own ideas about life..) but it's wrong to say that these kids or their families are suffering from affluenza or have some sort of edge. no. they are working for it. working very hard actually.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:51 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
no.

i see the chinese men and women slaving away at jobs to send their kids to these programs. it's NOT a "system" that is giving these kids opportunities. it is their parents/families. elitism? how? i see grandmas working collecting nickel coin bottles to recycle or selling fish at chinatown in NYC. how is that elitism? they are working very hard to support the education of their children.

the fact is - black parents (usually, if not always, a single black mom) do not care enough about education as much as they do about "rocking the newest gucci or louis vuitton purse." the money has to go somewhere and they spend it here. the latino parents value family over anything and that may include spending money on things or events, rather than a "professional future."

no one is owed anything because someone else is working hard for it instead. this argument makes no sense. the chinese kids are NOT elite (yes, some are, but in general, they are hard working families who make this happen and spend all the money on education). when i ride the B train, i will see chinese kids buried in books, either at 7:50 am on their way to school or coming back from school. i do not see this from other races. how is this a broken system? you get what you deserve in life. ultimately that's what always ends up happening. this is the reason why i hear people say they won't go to a black doctor because he was given 10 or so extra points on various exams just so he could pass the program which means he is not really qualified and is just an affirmative action token of society. blacks who do earn it are infuriated but they have to deal with it. i know a few blacks who say they hate affirmative action or such "hand outs" by privilege just as much after a point. evening out the playground is a good thing to a point but not to take it this far where the public will discredit you because society felt sorry for you. it dilutes the hard work of anyone.

i think in UCLA or somewhere in cali., the majority of top performers in sciences are asians and now reverse affirmative action is being instituted. why? school is merit-based and if you stink, you don't deserve to be in a top school.

i am not asian (i actually do not like asian culture or food or anything about asia as i am an individualist and have my own ideas about life..) but it's wrong to say that these kids or their families are suffering from affluenza or have some sort of edge. no. they are working for it. working very hard actually.
Don't most doctors get based anyway for being able to have C averages and still be licensed? Don't have sources but I've heard this from many people.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:53 PM

5,084 posts, read 4,952,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
no.

when i ride the B train, i will see chinese kids buried in books, either at 7:50 am on their way to school or coming back from school. i do not see this from other races.

I see more jews reading their pocket books all the time on a bus/train, not so many asians.

I agree that the overall better performance at school among the asain american kids is mostly related to hard work and their new arrival status in this country.

If you single out russian immigrant kids from the white pool, you wound be stunned by how good they are in many different areas.

Last edited by leoliu; 03-29-2014 at 03:02 PM..

Old 03-29-2014, 03:09 PM

5,084 posts, read 4,952,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
Kenyan Iten tribe, .06% of the global population, yet dominates long distance running globally, winning 80% of international races since 1980. Answer: genes.

American Samoa, total population 55,000, tiny island, yet hugely disproportionate number of Samoans in the NFL. Answer: genes.

I wonder if filipinos carry more nanny genes or nurse genes because they are everywhere..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City