Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 02:44 PM

897 posts, read 1,252,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Why Asian students excel:

Shanghai teens top international education ranking, OECD says - CNN.com

Notice these kids are wearing coats *INDOORS*
So that's the secret!!!!!! I'm putting my coat on RIGHT now, maybe I can fix this bug that's been creeping in my code all day

Old 03-12-2014, 02:47 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
So Hispanics have the same problems as do blacks. Dont pretend otherwise.

Most whites who remain in NYC tend to come from upper middle or affluent backgrounds.
I know the problems of Hispanics and Blacks I'm part both.

Many Whites that need to take these test are not affluent.

You also cannot go by a last name to catagorize someone by race, especially in NYC. Jose Rodriguez could be Jewish, Black, or Hispanic, or all three, plus have White skin red hair and freckles .

Old 03-12-2014, 02:49 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Indeed while cram schools might help kids to get into the best high schools, they dont necessarily prepare people for life. One has to have a well rounded life and the opportunity to develop leadership and social skills, in addition to the academic.

I have seen some of these kids from poor Asian immigrant backgrounds. They get into CUNY and SUNY, might get decent grades, but are severely under prepared for the world of work. Indeed, the over emphasis on multiple choice testing leaves many with poor writing skills, and limited creativity and initiative.

There is a distinct difference between these poor immigrant Asian kids, and Asian American kids who come from more affluent backgrounds. The latter mightnt get into Stuy, but will have a much more well rounded background, given that their parents will know what it will take to succeed once one graduates from college.
Though I believe the point was not to equalize them with other Asian-American kids, many of whom were educated in the high performing suburban schools. Rather it was to give them somewhere to start with and work up from there albeit this starting point is beneath other demographic classes in the US. What would be the opportunities of these Asian immigrant kids if their parents stayed behind in rural China/Vietnam?

Old 03-12-2014, 02:54 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Though I believe the point was not to equalize them with other Asian-American kids, many of whom were educated in the high performing suburban schools. Rather it was to give them somewhere to start with and work up from there albeit this starting point is beneath other demographic classes in the US. What would be the opportunities of these Asian immigrant kids if their parents stayed behind in rural China/Vietnam?
You are touching on another subject. I know quite a few people that used NYC addresses from Long Island and Westchester where their children were educated for the most part to get into Specialized high schools. I always wondered how they got away with that. Don't they consider that the child went to school in those counties for 7 years before they are spending the 8th year in NYC?

Old 03-12-2014, 02:55 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Jose Rodriguez could be Jewish, Black, or Hispanic, or all three, plus have White skin red hair and freckles .
If not Hispanic, chances are Jose Rodriguez is Asian.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:57 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
It is important to remember even when restricted to European descent, "white" covers a very large and varied demographic. You have everything from various Jewish sects to "Sopranos" type Italians.

Best indication of how well children will do in school is to look at their parents. Indeed the long running joke about the SAT is that it really is a measure of the parent or parents, not the child.

High achieving parents (think Frasier and Lilith) then to produce the same in their offspring. White parents of various socio economic backgrounds but mostly those with college and or post graduate educations know how things are done and the value of raising children to reach their full potential.

Go down to say any of the "top" elementary schools in the Village or Tribeca. You'll find both straight and gay white parents that know the deal and have a laser focus on their children's education (again) from day one. They are active (some may say too active) participants in their children's education making sure that those kids get what they need. If they aren't doing well say in math, a tutor will be hired and or someway will be found to get them where they need to be.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:58 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
You are touching on another subject. I know quite a few people that used NYC addresses from Long Island and Westchester where their children were educated for the most part to get into Specialized high schools. I always wondered how they got away with that. Don't they consider that the child went to school in those counties for 7 years before they are spending the 8th year in NYC?
I was actually referring to Asian Americans who grew up in more affluent neighborhoods in the suburbs and did not attend specialized NYC schools. Believe they are what carib pointed to as being more well rounded than recent immigrants.

I was not aware that there were those who used NYC addresses to game the residency requirements but those situations are not what I was talking about.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:58 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,347 times
Quote:
Let us be honest. The quotas that operate against Asians are the same ones which operated againts American Jews two generations ago. This is to allow well connected, but mediocre white kids to enter under legacy, athletic, "talented", and other ways not available to the kids of poor immigrants.

There arent enough blacks and hispanics at these elite schools to place the blame fully on them. In any case it is a known fact that it is easier for males to get into college (regardless of race) than females. With males now accounting for only 40% of these attending college, many colleges in order to ensure some level of gender balance, relax standards somewhat for males. This because females dont like colleges with few males. For many kids the social environment at the undergrad level is as important as the academic.
Well sort of the same, but definitely not as extreme. For the Jews there were explicitly stated quotas. I would have to assume that prejudice was very much acceptable back then. Nowadays it has to be done under the pretense of equality. I would have to say that if Asians weren't doing well that there probably would be no affirmative action or it wouldn't be as widespread at the top schools. So it's definitely not mainly for the benefit of Blacks and Hispanics; it was just a more legitimate excuse.

The male/female balancing is a bit different in that it transcends race, but it still this doesn't sound right in 2014. On a positive note this goes both ways, by the same logic it's much easier for a female to get into MIT, Carnegie Melon? But it's much harder for any Asian whether male/female to get into any top school than non-Asians and this is solely based on their race.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:01 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
You are always so clueless, yo. This is not english class,
plus my spelling and grammar is fine, mr. problem.
that explains why I need to read your post a few times.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:03 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,347 times
Quote:
I have no clue how this this works. There seems to be so many loopholes that people take advantage of. I know in Bayside the "going" rate for other people to use the Bayside address is apparently $300 per month per child. A contractor that I hired told me this, but I'm not sure how widespread the problem is. I really wish there was a way to crack down on all these cheaters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City