Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 03:47 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times

Advertisements

I saw an interesting video today about an urbanist visionary but also theorist who used to live in Greenwich Village as a kid. He noted that plenty of urban planners try to replicate Greenwich Village with its Bohemian style in order to start gentrification. If you fast forward to 4 or 5 minutes in the video, you can see 1960s Bohemian East Village which is not much different than todays East Village which is full of Yuppies and Hipsters. The guy Kotkin even noted that during the 1960s that the East Village was already Yuppie Disneyland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAQ0XSdOovM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 06:09 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Western Bed Stuy is not predominantly white.
I agree but to nywriterdudes credit, he doesn't even live around here so how would he really know.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The guy Kotkin even noted that during the 1960s that the East Village was already Yuppie Disneyland.
He said the Greenwich Village, not East Village.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:33 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I agree but to nywriterdudes credit, he doesn't even live around here so how would he really know.
Part of it bordering Williamsburg are predominately white. There are a lot of Hasidic Jews there ,and then not far away you have the hipsterization.

It was like that LONG BEFORE I moved away. And when did I move away? Late 2013. It amazes me people have selective memories when it suits their purposes.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Part of it bordering Williamsburg are predominately white. There are a lot of Hasidic Jews there ,and then not far away you have the hipsterization.

It was like that LONG BEFORE I moved away. And when did I move away? Late 2013. It amazes me people have selective memories when it suits their purposes.
I'll give you that, part of the western side but not the whole thing. Only north of Myrtle or Dekalb due to the Hasidics, but even then, for every Hasidic building there is an even bigger project building just one census tract to the east. Still, by the next census, I would't be surprised if all the western census tracts end up being predominantly white.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:54 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
Hasidic Jews moving into Bed Stuy isn't due to gentrification, but due to overpopulation in Williamsburg. Even still, Bed Stuy is around 70% Black. Maybe one or two white people is just too much.

Last edited by DoomDan515; 03-16-2014 at 07:25 PM..

Old 03-16-2014, 08:02 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
He said the Greenwich Village, not East Village.
Butbhe remember Greenwich Village as yuppie in the 60s. also the village in the 50s/60s was full of subcultural types.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:13 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I think the point he is trying to make is that you can have a low-income neighborhood of color, and have it get an influx of middle class people of color, and nobody writes articles, nobody talks about it as changing, and to the rest of the world the neighborhood hasn't changed because all they see are the "same" black and brown people. BUT, if that same low-income neighborhood of color has a sprinkling of smelly white kids move in, the NY Times sends an arsenal of reporters to write stories about the "changes" in the community and random pictures of a white kid sitting in a coffee shop or on a brownstone stoop. Even when the community may be already "gentrified" by middle class people of color, if you don't have the smattering of pasty beardos for those photos, then not a peep by anyone or any media.

THIS FOLLOWING PART IS WHAT WINS IT FOR ME

So I get what he is trying to say...gentrification doesn't matter, or doesn't apply, until the smelly white kids show up...THEN gentrification is happening (regardless of whether it has already happened by people of color).
FINALLY, somebody gets it. SHOULD it be called gentrification if educated black and latin ATCs or EMTs move into an area? Yes. IS IT? Nope. In reality, it's only called a "gentrifying" area if some poorly groomed white 30 year old waiters move into that area.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:50 PM

15 posts, read 22,906 times
I prefer to be called an artist.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:30 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Hasidic Jews moving into Bed Stuy isn't due to gentrification, but due to overpopulation in Williamsburg. Even still, Bed Stuy is around 70% Black. Maybe one or two white people is just too much.
That's true, and it's hilarious how easy you can tell which building in that part of bed stuy belongs to a Hasidic Jew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City