Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 04:30 PM

17 posts, read 33,968 times

Advertisements

I was born and lived in Brooklyn until aged three, grew up and lived in Connecticut for many years. Then I lived in Maine for a few years before returning to Brooklyn where I lived for another 22 years. I lived in Red Hook (19 years) and then in Bay Ridge. I was a teacher for the NYC Board of Ed. for 18 years and retired early. I was on my way to Mexico with three dogs and stopped in Tampa, Florida to visit two of my children. I ended up staying in Florida. I want to return to NYC. But Brooklyn is now so expensive. I have a sister and a son in Brooklyn. I thought I would look for a place in Staten Island. I don't know anything about the Bronx or Queens. I'm interested in the North Shore area -- St. George, Tompkinsville and New Brighton. I now have two dogs (Australian Cattle Dogs) and should probably look for a rental before I buy ( dog-friendly). I want to be near the Bay, a working harbor, where I can hear the foghorns and see the container ships, oil tankers, barges and tugboats. I'd like to be close to the ferry. I'm not a beach person but love a working harbor. I love walking to shops, bars, restaurants. Actually, I love being a regular at a special bar -- when they see me they pour my favorite glass of wine even before I sit down. I would like to live among different ethnic groups/immigrants. Florida is too boring for me. Tell what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 07:18 PM

Anyone on the NYC forum who has moved to Florida and after a while, a few years, has decided to move back to NYC. I'd like to hear from you. Are you glad you moved back? That's where I am right now, thinking about moving back. I miss NYC (former Brooklynite).

Old 03-15-2014, 07:28 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebanjo View Post
Anyone on the NYC forum who has moved to Florida and after a while, a few years, has decided to move back to NYC. I'd like to hear from you. Are you glad you moved back? That's where I am right now, thinking about moving back. I miss NYC (former Brooklynite).
My brothers came from Haiti and stayed in brooklyn from 97 - 99. They moved to west palm beach since. They wouldn't mind moving to NYC but the weather is a problem and they all have families down there now. So the best they can do is just visit.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:03 PM

749 posts, read 920,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebanjo View Post
I was born and lived in Brooklyn until aged three, grew up and lived in Connecticut for many years. Then I lived in Maine for a few years before returning to Brooklyn where I lived for another 22 years. I lived in Red Hook (19 years) and then in Bay Ridge. I was a teacher for the NYC Board of Ed. for 18 years and retired early. I was on my way to Mexico with three dogs and stopped in Tampa, Florida to visit two of my children. I ended up staying in Florida. I want to return to NYC. But Brooklyn is now so expensive. I have a sister and a son in Brooklyn. I thought I would look for a place in Staten Island. I don't know anything about the Bronx or Queens. I'm interested in the North Shore area -- St. George, Tompkinsville and New Brighton. I now have two dogs (Australian Cattle Dogs) and should probably look for a rental before I buy ( dog-friendly). I want to be near the Bay, a working harbor, where I can hear the foghorns and see the container ships, oil tankers, barges and tugboats. I'd like to be close to the ferry. I'm not a beach person but love a working harbor. I love walking to shops, bars, restaurants. Actually, I love being a regular at a special bar -- when they see me they pour my favorite glass of wine even before I sit down. I would like to live among different ethnic groups/immigrants. Florida is too boring for me. Tell what you think.
The Ferry side of the North Shore of Staten Island is going over a tremendous renaissance. In schedule, there are Malls, new rental buildings, the largest wheel in the USA, myriad of restaurants, and many other things. There is a 9/11 tribute, all ready in place. Go to www.visitstatenisland.com for further information.

If you need any other information, let me know. I have lived here myriad of years.

Good luck,

Old 03-15-2014, 08:07 PM

749 posts, read 920,879 times
The web page is as follows: Visit Staten Island

Old 03-15-2014, 08:20 PM

Hittheroadjack, Thanks for you quick reply and thanks for the info. It all sounds so exciting -- the ferris wheel, the outlet mall with 125 stores, etc. I'm looking forward to finding to new home in NYC (Staten Island).

Old 03-15-2014, 08:27 PM

I was excited because I was getting some replies to my post/thread. Sorry about any typographical errors.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:53 PM

hittheroadjack, Do you live in the North Shore area and how many years is a myriad? Any more information on that area would be most welcome. Thanks.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:02 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Take a look at Adobe Blues. It is THE bar you're looking for.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:50 PM

Thanks for your comments. Adobe Blues looks and sounds like a great restaurant/bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: