Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 05:32 PM

296 posts, read 469,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
Once you get a coping response out of someone it's pointless aggravating them more.
I've been reading his comments for a while now and my conclusion is that he clearly has some issues. He selectively perceives negative comments against New York and is hypersensitive about any comment that dares to speak up London (within and out of context of a comparison with other cities). The obvious confirmation bias is the clue to this. He wilfully excludes any comment that falls outside of the above two categories (I've had bad things to say about London and good things to say about NY) and homes in on statements that confirm his paranoia.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:33 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
NYC is quite possibly the most overrated thing in the world.
In the history of mankind, NYC is far and away the most overrated place, idea, ideal, and goal.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:36 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Don't you need money to live in Santa Monica also? Or is it one of those magical places where you can be poor yet have a fantastic QOL?
Santa Monica is very expensive, as are all Los Angeles beach cities. The beach areas of LA are mild, so there's high demand to live there and it's expensive.

You don't move to Santa Monica because its cheap.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:38 PM

506 posts, read 958,291 times
I don't think its a matter over what city is "the best" but rather what city is the best for your personally. They're a lot of major cities here in the US, for all types and kinds of people. Some prefer more slow, chillax environments like cities on the west coast, some like the big metro cities in the east coast. Some like the mid western cities while others like the southern cities for different reasons. Theres a place for everyone that suits whatever personality.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:48 PM

620 posts, read 1,073,107 times
NYC is absolutely not over rated !

This is the capital of the world. Everyone either wants to visit nyc or live in nyc. Its a human petri dish with like 500 countries represented.

- Im a foodie so im amazed that there is so much to choose from indian or dominican food in
the BX or Sichuan to Malaysian in Queens ( and literally everything in between!)

- There is simply no other major city that has such an efficient bus and train system that runs
24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It literally can take you anywhere you want at anytime.
This is a huge perk for me ....if you think not then your are just spoiled.

- the latest fashion is in nyc. Take a walk around manhattan, bx or brooklyn and you see
whats hot. Nyc sets the fashion trends.

- you are in the center of the north east...ive taken seversl trips to dc, baltimore, boston, philly and other cities which are just a bus ride away. You cant say the same if. You live in chicago or minnesota.

- the arts...people come from all over the world come to see museums in nyc. There are so many covering all interests and art forms. Add broadway , the met

- the energy... As soon as i walk out the door. The noise ,the ambiance, the hustle and bustle of it all gives me life.

I lived in miami as well and yes its very "picturesque" but its just boring, extreme car culture, no public transport, and there is only latin culture not much else. The beach is amazing so is the parks and hanging out but thats what vacations are for. I usually take a trip down to visit family. Nyc simply has things no other city can offer in the same manner.

Yea its expensive, cut-throat, dirty, unforgiving but thats why if you make it here you can make it anywhere. If you wanna try and keep up with the joneses then you WILL be broke and not have a good life.

I dont live in a ritzy area and still enjoy the amenities this great city has to offer. You just gotta live within your means.

Enough with the nyc bashing. At the end of the day if you dont like it then you could take the express bus to Laguardia... Deuces mutha****a

Old 03-16-2014, 05:48 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Santa Monica is very expensive, as are all Los Angeles beach cities. The beach areas of LA are mild, so there's high demand to live there and it's expensive.

You don't move to Santa Monica because its cheap.
That's the problem the OP is going to have. Finding a location that suits the lifestyle that she finds desirable at a lower cost than NY. Doubt you will find that in LA or Miami. No offense but she sounds like someone that wants to have this glitzy life in paradise but economically is really meant for locations like Jacksonville or Tampa, which might be her more practical option.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:57 PM

499 posts, read 793,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBucks View Post
I've been reading his comments for a while now and my conclusion is that he clearly has some issues. He selectively perceives negative comments against New York and is hypersensitive about any comment that dares to speak up London (within and out of context of a comparison with other cities). The obvious confirmation bias is the clue to this. He wilfully excludes any comment that falls outside of the above two categories (I've had bad things to say about London and good things to say about NY) and homes in on statements that confirm his paranoia.
Pathetic.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:29 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
NYC is absolutely not over rated !

This is the capital of the world. Everyone either wants to visit nyc or live in nyc. Its a human petri dish with like 500 countries represented.
Enough with the nyc bashing. At the end of the day if you dont like it then you could take the express bus to Laguardia... Deuces mutha****a
Out of 6 billion people, everyone wants to live in NYC or visit NYC?

There's a big contingent of the world that is anti American, and where is NYC? In the US. Believe it or not, there are Americans who have no interest in living in or visiting NYC.

Not everyone wants to come to America or NYC.

I'm not bashing NYC, but it's silly to project what you like onto 6 billion other human beings. Your speech pattern makes you sound like the archetype of the 80s dumb Valley Girl. Particularly the unnecessary misuse of LIKE.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:05 PM

821 posts, read 1,100,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Exactly northern queens as I predicted. Your over exaggerating also especially with flushing, wood side. Long Island city just got a insane makeover, my friend lives on 45th ave I think. Astoria? Lmao.

Hollis and Springfield gardens are suburban to the max.

The only areas I agree with are Jamaica, elmhurst and corona.

But overall I'm confused because you named a few sections of queens you find corrupted. That could be done with every city you know.
NONE of those towns I list are in Northern Queens. I live in Northern Queens. SOME of LIC got a makeover. My brother lives in one of the classy new apartment buildings.

Hollis and Springfield Gardens are suburban. Would YOU live there?

Old 03-16-2014, 07:36 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post

There are less than 200 countries in the world, FYI.... unless you're including some extra-terrestials in the mix, which, hey, it's NYC, wouldn't be surprising...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City