Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 08:10 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,250,384 times

Advertisements

I hope Ukraine is still on the map.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:52 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
I think it still is. Like Israel, Afghanistan and the Balkans, Ukraine has changed hands so many times from different civilizations.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:24 PM

277 posts, read 401,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Lmao Cheerios.

If only the Londoners here could agree. Like I said I'll take their advice more then yours.

I've never witnessed a Londoner rubbing their weather in people's face.
Hurr durr.

Someone who was actually there gives photographic evidence: you rebut with testimony from people who haven't lived there for months/years. Very bright.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:04 PM

If you live in a shoebox size apartment with vermin, have unaffordable rent, want proper grocery shopping, don't like rubbing noses with crazies every commute, hate the rain/cold/brutal humidity and cleanness is important to you, then New York is overrated. Looking at it as a global city with world class culture and amenities, then it's still up there with the best.

Paris may be a more beautiful city, Tokyo is cleaner and more technologically advanced, London's opulence, sophistication and intangible feeling is unparalleled (something not captured in the photos here), but none of these cities, at least in my experience, come close to matching the dining options and the culture of convenience that you get in New York.

Be grateful for what it offers, and don't get stroppy or do somersaults and backflips in outrage when people post their pretty vacation pictures of other cities here. All it shows is that you're insecure about your hometown and feel miserable about living here.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Because the Ukraine has everything to do with being unhappy about living in New York?

Old 03-17-2014, 12:18 AM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
If you have a fantastic amount of money and can live where you chose in NYC, it's wonderful. You can have pretty much everything within walking distance.

So if you have sufficient money and reason to be in NYC, you'll love it.

If you don't have enough money, you can look at this thread see what that's like.
I have to disagree with you here, again. Money isn't everything, especially when predicting happiness. I use myself as an example of this all the time. I'm established, have a career that I enjoy (only reason I stay), a home, bills are paid, little debt, take vacations, have two new cars, leftover money for luxuries/hobbies and strong savings habits. I've "made it" here by any measure. That said, I hate living here.

There are other subjective reasons why a person/family may not be happy in any given location besides money.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:38 AM

21 posts, read 32,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I have to disagree with you here, again. Money isn't everything, especially when predicting happiness. I use myself as an example of this all the time. I'm established, have a career that I enjoy (only reason I stay), a home, bills are paid, little debt, take vacations, have two new cars, leftover money for luxuries/hobbies and strong savings habits. I've "made it" here by any measure. That said, I hate living here.

There are other subjective reasons why a person/family may not be happy in any given location besides money.
He's speaking in generalities, clearly.

Well, New York is one of the most desirable place in the world for people with money according to multiple sources, such as real estate prices or surveys like this below. So generally, if you have money it's one of the best places in the world for most people.

Quote:
Knight Frank Wealth Report Survey

Favorite Cities of Ultra-High Net Worth Individuals

City Score

1. New York
2. London
3. Hong Kong
4. Singapore
5. Paris
6. Shanghai
7. Tokyo
8. Beijing
9. Geneva
10. Zurich
11. Dubai
12. Berlin
13. Sydney
14. San Francisco
15. Vancouver

*Ultra High Net Worth Respondents were asked to choose their top 10 cities in order of priority. Cities were assigned 10 points for a top ranking, nine for second, and so on

https://www.privatebank.citibank.com...2011LowRes.pdf
City-Data is full of bitter people, broke 30something losers who still live at home looking for easy targets so they just bash the city to deflect blame/feel better about their personal failures, people who are struggling financially and are angry at the city passing them up and pricing them out. Unfortunately (for them), no matter how much people complain, New York will always be New York -- The world's capital and one of the finest cities on earth. It is what it is.

Last edited by James 4; 03-17-2014 at 12:52 AM..

Old 03-17-2014, 12:53 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 4 View Post
He's speaking in generalities, clearly.

Well, New York is one of the most desirable place in the world for people with money according to multiple sources, such as real estate prices or surveys like this below. So generally, if you have money it's one of the best places in the world for most people.

City-Data is full of bitter people, broke 30something losers who still live at home looking for easy targets so they just bash the city to deflect blame/feel better about their personal failures, people who are struggling financially and are angry at the city passing them up and pricing them out. Unfortunately (for them), no matter how much people complain, New York will always be New York. The world's capital and one of the finest cities on earth. It is what it is.
To some it up Mr. Troll NYC is only great for those who have money. Most people in NYC do not even have an amout of wealth and are 2 to 3 paychecks from being homeless. Hell even out of town Waspy Transplants depend on mommy and daddies Trustfund from cheese factory pension from Wisconsin in order to survive in hip and trendy Brooklyn.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:55 AM

21 posts, read 32,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
To some it up Mr. Troll NYC is only great for those who have money. Most people in NYC do not even have an amout of wealth and are 2 to 3 paychecks from being homeless. Hell even out of town Waspy Transplants depend on mommy and daddies Trustfund from cheese factory pension from Wisconsin in order to survive in hip and trendy Brooklyn.
You've gotta love these miserable vermin that infiltrate City-Data, such as yourself..

So let me get this straight..... I'm a troll because I'm happy and not miserable like you? Hilarious. How dare I come onto here all happy and stuff, right? LOL!!

Sorry I'm not one paycheck away from eviction. Sorry I have a lot and you don't! Life isn't fair. Cry me a river.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:04 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,409,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigoriachel View Post
Hurr durr.

Someone who was actually there gives photographic evidence: you rebut with testimony from people who haven't lived there for months/years. Very bright.
Um yea I choose people who were actually born there over someone who showed me a pic of one day.

Yes very bright right back at you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City