Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 01:44 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Tampa has a high crime rate I heard.
Does it? I know Orlando's crime rate has exploded in the last decade. A lot of my friends that moved out of NYC moved to Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 04:01 AM

130 posts, read 291,125 times
They complain because they can.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:34 PM

463 posts, read 559,363 times
I don't live in NYC but I don't understand the complaint's either.

Come live in Atlanta if you want cheap cost of living. My luxury condo 15 minutes from the city runs about 1100 a month. Just be prepared to drive everywhere in miserable traffic and deal with annoying religious red-staters on a constant basis.

So yeah I'm with you OP; People expect filet mignon on a McDonald's budget. To all the NYers struggling to live the good life on 60k a year, time to do some soul-searching; if you can't afford the NYC lifestyle, move to a beta/mid-size city
where your salary will take you further. If you love NYC that much, do whatever it takes to claw your way to a mid six figure salary that will let you enjoy the city to the fullest.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:44 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,164,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Does it? I know Orlando's crime rate has exploded in the last decade. A lot of my friends that moved out of NYC moved to Tampa.
I live across the bay in St. Pete and I love it here. If you have a good job you can have a very decent life. There are "seedy" areas but I have no business in them. There are plenty of upscale homes and people here in St. Pete and it's really taking off. I'm loving my life so far in this area. I've lived by Boston, DC, Philly, and this area is by far my favorite thus far.

Most of the Tampa Bay area haters have never even lived there, have heard stories (of people who probably don't live there), or got stuck in a low paying job where they couldn't live in a decent area. Or people who move here and expect it to be like NYC (it's not, but that's not necessarily a bad thing!).

Old 03-23-2014, 06:27 PM

31,891 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go-getta-J View Post

Come live in Atlanta if you want cheap cost of living. My luxury condo 15 minutes from the city runs about 1100 a month. Just be prepared to drive everywhere in miserable traffic and deal with annoying religious red-staters on a constant basis.

So yeah I'm with you OP; People expect filet mignon on a McDonald's budget. To all the NYers struggling to live the good life on 60k a year, time to do some soul-searching; if you can't afford the NYC lifestyle, move to a beta/mid-size city
where your salary will take you further. If you love NYC that much, do whatever it takes to claw your way to a mid six figure salary that will let you enjoy the city to the fullest.
Wages paid in NYC are a reflection of the high cost of living. One you leave the area wages decrease in proportion to local COL. Long story short you do not make NYC money in ATL.

New graduate nurses start in NYC hospitals at $75K to $84K with experienced RNs able to pull $100k or more if they work overtime or such. In Atlanta you'd be lucky to start at $40K and certainly won't be making anything near $75K even with decades of experience.

Yes, know plenty of persons including family members that have moved down south to find work. But they had to adjust what their idea of compensation should be to conditions on the ground.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:00 PM

749 posts, read 920,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 4 View Post
I truly don't get the bashing, ranting and raving. There is nothing that can be done about it. New York (like other prohibitory expensive world cities - London, Paris, Hong Kong) is expensive because of its corporations, the staggering amount of local wealth and foreign wealth who pour money into New York real-estate, and sure, the hype that surrounds the city. NYC is NYC and people will keep paying top dollar.

What, short of unleashing chaos in the city and chasing away taxpayers and creating a Detroit 2.0, can be done about it?

Seems like many people here want NYC to turn into some insignificant mid-sized city where everything is cheap, everyone lives in a big tract home and everyone drives a massive SUV from their drive thrus to their garages and the idea of fine dining is some God-forsaken place like Applebees. People here seem to forget that New York City is New York City, not Tampa or Tulsa.
And how I wish that all those people will move away..............California is just as expensive......and it has over 38 million people....

Old 03-23-2014, 07:40 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
It did but I also think crime dropped a lot also (Orlando).

Old 03-23-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go-getta-J View Post

Great post. But someone who complains that much about expense will complain that much about the traffic.

People who complain daily are just a mess. They could use all that time outweighing their options.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Wages paid in NYC are a reflection of the high cost of living. One you leave the area wages decrease in proportion to local COL. Long story short you do not make NYC money in ATL.

New graduate nurses start in NYC hospitals at $75K to $84K with experienced RNs able to pull $100k or more if they work overtime or such. In Atlanta you'd be lucky to start at $40K and certainly won't be making anything near $75K even with decades of experience.

Yes, know plenty of persons including family members that have moved down south to find work. But they had to adjust what their idea of compensation should be to conditions on the ground.
This is true also. I know a elevator mechanic in manhattan who decided to make his house in a North Carolina a vacation home since the same job he does here paid only half in NC.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:11 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Here's a new essay that touches on the subject of New Yorkers complaining: New York Doesn't Love You

...accept that your umbrellas will turn themselves inside out. That your rent is a tumor in the guts of your bank account. Complain that you deserve a raise, that the N train never, ever, ever runs when you need it to run (and that it’s probably personal,) and that New York is a giant meat grinder extruding tons of chewed up dreams.

Complaining is the only right you have as a New Yorker. Whining is what children do. To complain is to tell the truth. People who refuse to complain, and insist on having a positive outlook, are monsters. Their optimism is a poison. If given the chance they will sell you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City