Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 07:14 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,218,105 times

Advertisements

Long story short -- I was in the city a few days ago and was trying to squeeze into a tight space. While I was doing that, a lady and man came running out and screamed that I shouldn't. I stopped trying and was about to leave. Then they pointed to a couple of scratch marks on the bumper of the car in front of my car.

The lady said I caused it and that she and the man witnessed it and that I need to pay for it. She wrote down my license plate and said I have to pay for that damage. Apparently, she wasn't even the owner but either a friend/relative/neighbor of hers. She said I can pay her if I didn't want her to report me since she had my license plate.

I told her that I wasn't going to pay her or anybody because I didn't think I caused those marks and just drove off. Does she or the owner of the car have a case against me?

BTW, the car is not new and the bumper had quite a few other scratch/scuff marks besides the ones she claimed I caused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 07:18 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Long story short -- I was in the city a few days ago and was trying to squeeze into a tight space. While I was doing that, a lady and man came running out and screamed that I shouldn't. I stopped trying and was about to leave. Then they pointed to a couple of scratch marks on the bumper of the car in front of my car.

The lady said I caused it and that she and the man witnessed it and that I need to pay for it. She wrote down my license plate and said I have to pay for that damage. Apparently, she wasn't even the owner but either a friend/relative/neighbor of hers. She said I can pay her if I didn't want her to report me since she had my license plate.

I told her that I wasn't going to pay her or anybody because I didn't think I caused those marks. Does she or the owner of the car have a case?

Tell them to get bent and purchase some bumper guards.

Scratched and nicked bumpers are a fact of life when parking on NYC streets. If you don't want your precious vehicle nicked then put it in a garage.

No, the NYPD or anyone else official is going to come after you, nor will the couple's insurance company because it is highly doubtful they will file a claim. Well someone lacking any sense *might* try but after laughing himself silly their insurance man will show them how much their premiums will go up on next renewal that that will be that.

Last edited by BugsyPal; 03-17-2014 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: edited

Old 03-17-2014, 07:33 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Tell them to get bent and get some bumper guards.

Scratched and nicked bumpers are a fact of life when parking on NYC streets. If you don't want your precious vehicle nicked then put it in a garage.

No, the NYPD or anyone else official is going to come after you, nor will the couple's insurance company because it is highly doubtful they will file a claim. Well someone lacking any sense *might* try but after laughing himself silly their insurance man will show them how much their premiums will go up on next renewal that that will be that.
If you pay them please send me your name-- I have about 20 nicks dings and mini dents that I would like you to pick up. It will not come to anything unless the said accusers are from IOWA

Old 03-17-2014, 08:32 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
This sounds almost like the broken eyeglasses scam.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:03 PM

420 posts, read 823,408 times
Yeah, sounds like a scam. "I'm a friend but pay me and I'll give it to my friend." Please...

OP, likely nothing will come of it. Don't stress it!

Old 03-17-2014, 10:06 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,588,276 times
Well you really should avoid trying to wedge your car into any questionably small space to where you might be dinging somebody else's car. That said, don't be giving money to anybody under any circumstances. Let the insurance companies deal with it.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:58 AM

4,196 posts, read 4,079,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Well you really should avoid trying to wedge your car into any questionably small space to where you might be dinging somebody else's car. That said, don't be giving money to anybody under any circumstances. Let the insurance companies deal with it.
Good advice but in some neighborhoods if you avoid all small parking spots you will be looking for a spot a long time.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:06 AM

384 posts, read 512,324 times
If you park on the street in Manhattan, you're basically writing off your bumpers. I'm much more upset by the little yellow paint squigglies you get on the car body from taxi passengers throwing their doors open than some bumper scratches.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:33 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,293 times
If that happened to me, I'd be like;

"Oh boy. you're cracking me up here"

"I'll give you a couple of bucks just for me making me laugh so hard"

Old 03-18-2014, 07:13 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatshoe View Post
If you park on the street in Manhattan, you're basically writing off your bumpers. I'm much more upset by the little yellow paint squigglies you get on the car body from taxi passengers throwing their doors open than some bumper scratches.
Exactly. Your bumpers will be scratched within a week of getting the car on the streets. Its like living here in a city of millions and worrying about breathing in other people's germs, or smelling urine on the subways in the summer. Its unavoidable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City