Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 07:19 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
When I moved to LA, each apartment I lived in was five times the size NYC's apartments and nowhere near the price of what you would pay here. I had a friend that was from GA living in LA in huge one bedroom apartment with a terrace, paying $1300 and she said the apartment was "smaller" than what she was used to living in GA.

Not only that, I never, ever had an ugly looking bathroom. Also, if there were any issues with the apartment, all I had to do was tell the property manager and it would be fixed in a couple of days before I got home. Yes, I gave them access to my place. I didn't need to be there and I never gave them a hard time about it like people do here. I never had to wait weeks for something to get fixed or "beg" anyone to fix it either and the work wasn't "sloppy". They actually hired people who knew what they were doing. No patchwork jobs.

As a matter of fact, everyone I know in other cities live in better spaces.

The OP spending $1800 a month to live in a ROOM simply boggles my freaking mind AND...he calls himself a Manhattan "native". Really? As a born and raised NYC person, you found nothing wrong with spending $1800 a month to live in a room with a crabby old woman???

He could have easily found a nice one bedroom apartment in Queens for $500 less than that. Even the Dykman area of Manhattan would have been better option.

but Marilyn dear it was in frekin LA which we all know is the armpit of america. They would have to pay me $1800 to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 07:23 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Except the tenement did not have air conditioning, a dishwasher, a private bath and other amenities we enjoy today.
no, but it had more space.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:26 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
When I moved to LA, each apartment I lived in was five times the size NYC's apartments and nowhere near the price of what you would pay here. I had a friend that was from GA living in LA in huge one bedroom apartment with a terrace, paying $1300 and she said the apartment was "smaller" than what she was used to living in GA.

Not only that, I never, ever had an ugly looking bathroom. Also, if there were any issues with the apartment, all I had to do was tell the property manager and it would be fixed in a couple of days before I got home. Yes, I gave them access to my place. I didn't need to be there and I never gave them a hard time about it like people do here. I never had to wait weeks for something to get fixed or "beg" anyone to fix it either and the work wasn't "sloppy". They actually hired people who knew what they were doing. No patchwork jobs.

As a matter of fact, everyone I know in other cities live in better spaces.

The OP spending $1800 a month to live in a ROOM simply boggles my freaking mind AND...he calls himself a Manhattan "native". Really? As a born and raised NYC person, you found nothing wrong with spending $1800 a month to live in a room with a crabby old woman???

He could have easily found a nice one bedroom apartment in Queens for $500 less than that. Even the Dykman area of Manhattan would have been better option.
mine too !!!

Old 03-19-2014, 07:26 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
True, NY'ers are generally experts at putting down everyone who doesn't live like them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
but Marilyn dear it was in frekin LA which we all know is the armpit of america. They would have to pay me $1800 to live there.
See what I mean?

Does anyone actually enjoy living around people like this? I know this is certainly a very large part of the reason I can no longer enjoy this city. The people absolutely repulse me.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:41 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Are you referring to me or the other poster?
The quote I used wasn't enough?

Old 03-19-2014, 08:32 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
I wonder where people think they can rent a 1 BR in Queens for $500 and have sufficient access to all forms of transportation and amenities at all hours of the day. A 1BR in Astoria would cost 1600.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:40 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I wonder where people think they can rent a 1 BR in Queens for $500 and have sufficient access to all forms of transportation and amenities at all hours of the day. A 1BR in Astoria would cost 1600.
If you're referring to MY post, I said he could have got something $500 "cheaper" from the $1800 he was paying for in Queens. I wasn't referring to Astoria either. The borough of Queens is quite huge and there are definitely one bedrooms available for $1200.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
If you're referring to MY post, I said he could have got something $500 "cheaper" from the $1800 he was paying for in Queens. I wasn't referring to Astoria either. The borough of Queens is quite huge and there are definitely one bedrooms available for $1200.
Not in most places where there is good transportation to and from manhattan 24x7. Astoria and LIC are way above 1200. Even sunnyside is too far and too detached as is woodside.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:26 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Not in most places where there is good transportation to and from manhattan 24x7. Astoria and LIC are way above 1200. Even sunnyside is too far and too detached as is woodside.
LIC and Astoria aren't the only places in Queens to live.

The 7, R, N, E, F, B, trains cover a huge section of the borough where you can live close to the train for $1200.

There's also the Bronx.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
LIC and Astoria aren't the only places in Queens to live.

The 7, R, N, E, F, B, trains cover a huge section of the borough where you can live close to the train for $1200.

There's also the Bronx.
If they work irregular and long hours in manhattan and need to get in and out of home and work late then those other places are not really options. What more multiple jobs. Wait time for many subways to the boroughs can reach 30 mins after10pm and the rides are long. When I lived in Forest Hills the only way I could get home in less than an hour if I left work past 9 was through car service. And my place was walkable from the E and F. I lived in Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Rego Park and Woodhaven so I know how public transit really works in Queens. If it weren't for my employer's car service and the fact that I had only one job, I would not have lived in Queens at that time. Have an ex-coworker who lives in Sunnyside and now works brutal hours for an investment bank and he tells me the same thing. My guess is such folks are looking to work 80 to 100 hrs a week and need places they can easily get in and out of. Most areas in queens won't cut it.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 03-19-2014 at 09:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City