Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 08:47 PM

4 posts, read 9,299 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving out to NYC with some friends, and recently I saw a posting on reddit for a 4 bedroom duplex apt by Wyckoff ave & Hancock st for $3000 a month. I'm just wondering what are some of your thoughts on the area in regards to crime and if it would be considered cheap? I tried doing a bit of research on my own, and the 4 bedroom seemed to be on the lower end of the scale with price, but I can't find much on crime. It a bit farther than the nicer L stops of Jefferson and Morgan, but not too far, plus Myrtle/Wyckoff also has the M train to take me to LES. Should I try for the apt? It seems relatively cheap since the 4 of us would just be paying $750 a person per month, and it doesn't seem to far from Williamsburg, Union Sq and the LES.

Last edited by BrandNewToNYC; 03-19-2014 at 10:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 09:23 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,871,664 times
$3000? I live in Upper Glendale and pay half of that for a 2 bedroom.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
It's a 4 bedroom duplex split between 4 people, so we'll be paying $750 each. The apt also has backyard access, and 2 bathrooms. The listing mentioned approximately 1100sq ft of living space 1st and 2nd fl combined which included the bedrooms. It seemed like a pretty good deal since I'll be splitting the rent with friends, and it's spacious enough. I make about 50k a year so I figured I'm making over 40x's rent with my salary if I'm paying $750. It's affordable, but i couldn't find much on crime in that area.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:09 PM

11,561 posts, read 9,267,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Upper Glendale? Lol they're designating different parts of Glendale now?

Old 03-20-2014, 12:30 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,871,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
It was always known as that. I only pointed it out because this is suppose to be the most expensive section of the area.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:25 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,248,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Both Ridgewood and Glendale have been going by upper and lower for as long as I can remember, with the uppers being the nicer of the sides. The area that the OP is asking about would be lower Ridgewood. Usually I'd think it was not the good part if town, but these days (especially for newcomers) that is no longer the case. I didn't know anything around here was as much as $4000. My guess would be that this place is 2 apartments combined and all fancied up. Still that is a lot, but the OP can at least say that they live in Brooklyn. Is it in zip code 11385 or 11237? Who knows what prices are these days around Morgan and Jefferson, which are less central locations (but closer to the city) than being by Myrtle-Wyckoff.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Both Ridgewood and Glendale have been going by upper and lower for as long as I can remember, with the uppers being the nicer of the sides. The area that the OP is asking about would be lower Ridgewood. Usually I'd think it was not the good part if town, but these days (especially for newcomers) that is no longer the case. I didn't know anything around here was as much as $4000. My guess would be that this place is 2 apartments combined and all fancied up. Still that is a lot, but the OP can at least say that they live in Brooklyn. Is it in zip code 11385 or 11237? Who knows what prices are these days around Morgan and Jefferson, which are less central locations (but closer to the city) than being by Myrtle-Wyckoff.
Yea prices are shooting up out there. I did a quick search on trulia and the $3000 per month listing i saw for the apt I'm asking about is considered on the cheap end. I really don't care where I live. I'm looking for affordability and convenience, which I felt this location at Wyckoff & Hancock had. Since I'm not familiar with Bushwick/Ridgewood, I just wanted some 2nd opinions from people who may live in the area.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:24 AM

9,239 posts, read 23,977,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewToNYC View Post
It's a 4 bedroom duplex split between 4 people, so we'll be paying $750 each. The apt also has backyard access, and 2 bathrooms. The listing mentioned approximately 1100sq ft of living space 1st and 2nd fl combined which included the bedrooms. .
That's crazy.My 1 bedroom apartment is 950 sq ft.Most 2 br's are around 1,100 sq ft.I can't imagine how they could cram 4 br's,2 bathrooms,a living room and a kitchen into 1,100 sq ft.The apartment must have windowless,closet less, shoe box size cubicles instead of real bedrooms and a pullman kitchen on a wall in the living room.Sounds like a nightmare living arrangement for 4 people.

Doesn't sound "cheap" to me at all for a typical non trendy Queens neighborhood.

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-20-2014 at 06:47 AM..

Old 03-20-2014, 07:59 AM

47 posts, read 98,128 times
I can't attest to the rent as I lived on weirfield street and Wyckoff from 2009-2010, right on the Bushwick - Ridgewood line. Im sure rent isnt the same. Never experienced crime in my short time there.
My father was uncomfortable with me living in bushwick because he knew bushwick at a different time. I saw it changing. At that time it wasn't the best neighborhood we could've chosen but it was convenient, cheap and crime wasn't heavy.
You've got a lot of convenient transportation options there. The gym on weirfield street is decent. We spent a lot of time exploring myrtle Avenue and the surrounding neighborhoods. Nice memories.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:14 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,248,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
That's crazy.My 1 bedroom apartment is 950 sq ft.Most 2 br's are around 1,100 sq ft.I can't imagine how they could cram 4 br's,2 bathrooms,a living room and a kitchen into 1,100 sq ft.The apartment must have windowless,closet less, shoe box size cubicles instead of real bedrooms and a pullman kitchen on a wall in the living room.Sounds like a nightmare living arrangement for 4 people.

Doesn't sound "cheap" to me at all for a typical non trendy Queens neighborhood.
I kind of assumed that it was 2 railroad apartments combined to make a duplex, so in total closer to 2000 sq ft. The 2 bathrooms would definitely up the price, but you can probably find a 1000 sq ft apt with one bathroom for half the price deeper into Ridgewood. Being closer to Bushwick somehow brings a higher price tag these days. Go figure. Although being closer to Myrtle-Wyckoff is very convenient transportation wise for both subway and bus.

It is starting to seem like everything in Queens from LIC/Astoria to Forest Hills/Kew Gardens and all in between is starting slowly drop that "non trendy" stereotype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City