Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 10:58 PM

5 posts, read 17,803 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am searching for an "affordable home" and was lead to a home in Baychester area. I am not sure about the area however. It appears to be a working class neighborhood but seen mixed reviews of the area. Please let me know what you think of the Baychester area (Around Boston RD & Seymour st). Also how is the subway stop on "Gun Hill Rd"? I did not find any issues with the subway and area however would like some opinions from people who better understand and know the area.

Lastly, I am coming from Brooklyn and currently live in the Cypress Hills / East New York Area. If possible can you compare Baychester to East New York (only if your familiar with area). I can basically live anywhere however more concerned about my wife (future children) and possibly my parents if they visit me.

Thanks,

Hay Mahoo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 11:14 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,036,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haymahoo View Post
Hi,

I am searching for an "affordable home" and was lead to a home in Baychester area. I am not sure about the area however. It appears to be a working class neighborhood but seen mixed reviews of the area. Please let me know what you think of the Baychester area (Around Boston RD & Seymour st). Also how is the subway stop on "Gun Hill Rd"? I did not find any issues with the subway and area however would like some opinions from people who better understand and know the area.

Lastly, I am coming from Brooklyn and currently live in the Cypress Hills / East New York Area. If possible can you compare Baychester to East New York (only if your familiar with area). I can basically live anywhere however more concerned about my wife (future children) and possibly my parents if they visit me.

Thanks,

Hay Mahoo
Baychester is a mostly minority neighborhood but it's not a high crime or very poor one.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:45 PM

Thanks

Old 03-22-2014, 06:52 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,036,595 times
Yw, as far as the Gunhill Road 5 train stop on goes. It's perfectly fine you will see black men offering taxi rids etc which is common in AA/WI neighborhoods. Some of them are legitmate TLC and some are gypsy cabs. Some people are put off by that but if your used to Brooklyn you should be used to that. There is good transportation and a lot of shopping in nearby Bay plaza shopping center.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:42 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,246,500 times
I would not recommend the area. Sorry.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:06 AM

thanks again jasper! Hilltopjay, what are the reasons why you'd "not recommend" Baychester?

Old 03-29-2014, 12:52 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,497,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haymahoo View Post
thanks again jasper! Hilltopjay, what are the reasons why you'd "not recommend" Baychester?

too many black people, even though most own homes.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:52 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,680,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
too many black people, even though most own homes.
This be a Black on Black crime!

Old 03-29-2014, 12:51 PM

13,441 posts, read 15,406,444 times
Baychester area, specifically around gun hill rd on the 5 train/eastchester rd/ allerton and in close proximity to co op city was very nice when I was growing up. It is heavily Caribbean, but they are homeowners and for the most part the properties are kept up. Area is well served with transportation and being close to co op city affords you many shopping options as bay plaza is a super sized mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City