Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 07:53 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
He likes to point out that he voted for Bozo then immediately fled to LA. Nywriterdude has serious issues with NY considering he spends more time inside on his computer talking about NYC than he does outside in LA (if he even really lives there).
His ip address is in LA but apparently he is not. To br honest i do agree with bill de blasio on some points, however he did not get my vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 09:17 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,240,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
NYwriterdudes voted Democrat because he's a gay black man. Gay people lean to the left. Simple.
A lot of closeted elected officials outed as gay are Republicans.
I'm not acusing NYwd of voter fraud. Many people are "domiciled" in one city or state, where they register to vote, but actually spend most of their time elsewhere, generally for tax reasons. How many NYers claim to live in FL, to avoid state & city income taxes as an NYC resident? They aren't event in SoFla on election day, and have to vote via absentee ballot. Not long ago, a survey found more than 50,000 people registered to vote in both states! This inflate FL's population and undercounts NYC, which hurts in allocation of federal tax dollars & congressional seats.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:33 AM

15,841 posts, read 14,472,390 times
I'm a conservative. I live in NYC and have since 1989. I working in NYC before then, and grew up in the suburbs. So I've experienced a lot of NYC history and development.

From the late '60s through the end of the '80s and into the '90s, the NYC Democratic machine had turned NYC into a mess. There were persistent financial crises. Crime was rampant. Murders topped 2600/year at one point. The transit system was a mess. Etc., etc..

Then in '92 Giuliani became Mayor and in '93 Pataki was elected Governor. These two owed nothing to the city Democratic machine, and could do what needed to be done, and slaughter the sacred cows. They did, and the city got much better for it. Transit is much better (new subway cars, new busses, lots of station renovation, even new lines coming.) Lots of crappy areas were renovated. Look at Time Square now as opposed to the mid '80s. Crime was vastly reduced. We had under 400 murders last year. Of course in the middle of this Giuliani was term limited out. Bloomberg came in, and to his credit did not screw up with Giuliani started.

Now it's twenty years later. Many voters in NYC never experience the mess the Democrats made of NYC when they ran it, and the ones who were here at the time seem to have forgotten. Some of what I call the happy problems NYCs (like being so much in demand that it's gotten expensive), have pissed some people off. And the procedures the NYP put in place, that have likely saved over 10,000 lives over the past twenty years, have caused friction in some communities. So the city voters chose to hand the city back to the same Democratic machine that nearly destroyed it last time they had a chance. Bla is their standard bearer.

Personally, when I see something working, I want to stay with it. Apparently the majority of NYC voters don't agree. They'll reap what they sew. Let's see what NYC is like at the end of Bla's first, and likely only term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
De Blasio was voted in by NYC voters (I was one of them).

There's a right wing contingent here that's constantly weeping and wailing over everything.

If that's how they feel why don't they just move to some small town in Appalachia? New York most other coastal states have progressive politics. Big demographic changes are affecting the Southern states like Texas, Florida, Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia. That leaves the poorest parts of states like WV, MS, and Arkansas for these people to move to.

So why not move there? Whining about progressive NYS and NYC politics has grown old.

When I lived in the North Bronx, I hated it and so I left the North Bronx. I still love NYC, but I'm happy to be out of town and in other places for now, though I'll eventually move back to NYC (not the Bronx or any other poor area).

But for those who absolutely hate everything about NYC, really you should leave and never come back if its so awful.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:45 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,817 times
Quote:
Great point, I was about to say that. All the left winged libturds were complaining every chance they get about Guilliani when he was in office. My question to those complainers is, why didn't you move? Why did you decide to stay in NYC?

So now you libturds have a problem with conservatives because they are criticizing Mayor De Bozo??? FOH!

An UNEDUCATED voter is the Democrats'/Liberal's best friend. Just say a few buzz words like income inequality, racism, 1 percenters, tax the rich, spread the wealth, increase welfare and food stamps, etc., and you'll have those idiots voting democrat for the next 200 years!

Does the term Poverty Pimp sound familiar to anyone? That's what democrats/liberals are!
Exactly.

Propose a cut in the food stamp program and you want to starve people.

Drone on about racism when we know that there are millions of successful blacks in the United States, and that the vast majority of Americans are not racists. Prove your point by citing the George Zimmerman case, while ignoring the thousands and thousands of inner city blacks who are killed every year by other inner city blacks.

Raise taxes on the "evil" 1% to show you care, when in fact it will make little or no difference to the 99%.

Yes, it's very easy to be a "progressive."

Old 03-21-2014, 09:51 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
Many people dislike politicians from a “different tribe†by instinct and react to what politicians symbolize rather than what they do. It’s no different from the people who constantly bashed Bloomberg for being a billionaire that couldn’t possibly represent “people like them.â€

Old 03-21-2014, 10:05 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
He likes to point out that he voted for Bozo then immediately fled to LA. Nywriterdude has serious issues with NY considering he spends more time inside on his computer talking about NYC than he does outside in LA (if he even really lives there).
I have no issues with NY. I love NY. I did not like the Bloomberg direction. I love the de Blasio direction. The fact he was elected and has instituted so much of his agenda in the first three months makes me love NY more so than ever. I am going to remain out of NYC for now, but I will be back at some point.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:05 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
De Blasio was voted in by NYC voters (I was one of them).

There's a right wing contingent here that's constantly weeping and wailing over everything.

If that's how they feel why don't they just move to some small town in Appalachia? New York most other coastal states have progressive politics. Big demographic changes are affecting the Southern states like Texas, Florida, Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia. That leaves the poorest parts of states like WV, MS, and Arkansas for these people to move to.

So why not move there? Whining about progressive NYS and NYC politics has grown old.

When I lived in the North Bronx, I hated it and so I left the North Bronx. I still love NYC, but I'm happy to be out of town and in other places for now, though I'll eventually move back to NYC (not the Bronx or any other poor area).

But for those who absolutely hate everything about NYC, really you should leave and never come back if its so awful.
Can't get around that ole Bill of Rights. At least not yet.

People have a right to complain about whatever the hell they want to complain about. You have a right to ignore it.

If you support a left wing nitwit like DeBlasio, that is your right. However, nobody is compelled to be quiet about it.

If all of this bothers you so, there are alternatives (Zimbabwe, Belarus) available to you. Dissent is the gratest form of patriotism.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:06 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,983,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I'm a conservative. I live in NYC and have since 1989. I working in NYC before then, and grew up in the suburbs. So I've experienced a lot of NYC history and development.

From the late '60s through the end of the '80s and into the '90s, the NYC Democratic machine had turned NYC into a mess. There were persistent financial crises. Crime was rampant. Murders topped 2600/year at one point. The transit system was a mess. Etc., etc..

Then in '92 Giuliani became Mayor and in '93 Pataki was elected Governor. These two owed nothing to the city Democratic machine, and could do what needed to be done, and slaughter the sacred cows. They did, and the city got much better for it. Transit is much better (new subway cars, new busses, lots of station renovation, even new lines coming.) Lots of crappy areas were renovated. Look at Time Square now as opposed to the mid '80s. Crime was vastly reduced. We had under 400 murders last year. Of course in the middle of this Giuliani was term limited out. Bloomberg came in, and to his credit did not screw up with Giuliani started.

Now it's twenty years later. Many voters in NYC never experience the mess the Democrats made of NYC when they ran it, and the ones who were here at the time seem to have forgotten. Some of what I call the happy problems NYCs (like being so much in demand that it's gotten expensive), have pissed some people off. And the procedures the NYP put in place, that have likely saved over 10,000 lives over the past twenty years, have caused friction in some communities. So the city voters chose to hand the city back to the same Democratic machine that nearly destroyed it last time they had a chance. Bla is their standard bearer.

Personally, when I see something working, I want to stay with it. Apparently the majority of NYC voters don't agree. They'll reap what they sew. Let's see what NYC is like at the end of Bla's first, and likely only term.
One of the best comments here. Agree or not agree, but you can't argue with history.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
NYwriterdudes voted Democrat because he's a gay black man. Gay people lean to the left. Simple.
Actually, I voted for Bush in 2000. Al Gore was a centrist, as was Bush. Didn't particularly care for Gore, so I voted Bush. Stop presuming to speak for me or for all gay people.

And even when I voted progressive, I do not always vote Democrat. I've voted Green Party. I vote for who I think is the best candidate, not along strict party lines. I'd actually really prefer both the Democratic party and the Republican party split into smaller parties, as I'd prefer the US to be a multiparty system like many European countries and Canada. I'd like the tea party to become a real party separate from the Republican party and I'd like the true leftists among the Democrats to separate from the pro business faction.

And for the record, as someone whose union parents for his college education and as someone who is union himself, of course I'm going to vote for pro union candidates. Not into crappy minimum wage jobs with no benefits.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Can't get around that ole Bill of Rights. At least not yet.

People have a right to complain about whatever the hell they want to complain about. You have a right to ignore it.

If you support a left wing nitwit like DeBlasio, that is your right. However, nobody is compelled to be quiet about it.

If all of this bothers you so, there are alternatives (Zimbabwe, Belarus) available to you. Dissent is the gratest form of patriotism.
I'm happy with what the majority selects not only in NYC, but in coastal states in general. The East Coast and West Coast have been liberal for awhile. You conservatives should seek out conservative bastions such as Saudi Arabia. Don't forget to tell your wife to cover her head and face!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City