U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-20-2014, 08:53 PM

82 posts, read 36,927 times
Question Would you buy a house with a shared driveway?

If you otherwise liked a house and the neighborhood it was in, would you be OK with buying a house that only had a shared driveway (shared with the one house next door, not a community driveway for the whole block) or is that a must to avoid?

Anyone have any experiences of what it's like to share your driveway with the house next door to you?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 09:16 PM

3,546 posts, read 1,719,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle villager View Post
If you otherwise liked a house and the neighborhood it was in, would you be OK with buying a house that only had a shared driveway (shared with the one house next door, not a community driveway for the whole block) or is that a must to avoid?

Anyone have any experiences of what it's like to share your driveway with the house next door to you?

Thanks.
I wouldn't mind as long as it's in a neighborhood where most properties do not have private non-shared driveways.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:34 PM

390 posts, read 221,221 times
the house I owned 4 years ago had parallel drive ways meaning my drive way touched and ran along side with my neighbors drive way... the first 7 years there all was fine, these drive ways ran between both our house to behind our houses where they and I both had our own garages... neither I or my neighbor ever parked on the drive way, always behind our house's or in our garage's...

well after 7 years there with all good, the neighbor went and built him self a Mc mansion house else where in town and by the time he finished it in 07-08 the market crashed and he was unable to sell the old house next to me.... so He put it up for rent... that's when it all went down hill...the renters and there ghetto cruisers parked all over the place, to the point sometimes we couldn't squeak by to get in our out of our back drive way... this happened with renter after renter, 3 years 3 different renters, so ignorant... was like dealing with people with 65 IQ's.. after the 3rd year of this I put my house up for sale and move to my now house witch is on a double lot.... no more dealing with A hole neighbors .....

Old 03-21-2014, 05:58 AM

12,077 posts, read 11,036,727 times
no, I wouldnt.
If i bought a house, i want my own home, not shared, no one elses rules, get off my property, the whole nine yards. we have all heard these horror stories, poster above....

anything shared always becomes a headache.

I would not do it.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:12 AM

3,530 posts, read 1,877,600 times
I'll never purchase a home again that shares anything with another home. I'll also never live under an HOA again. I'm on the board, which means I can get exemptions for anything I want, and I still will never live under an HOA for the rest of my life.

Your home is likely the biggest and most important purchase you will ever make. I highly advise you to avoid purchasing a home that shares anything with another home/s. It quickly becomes extremely difficult to address expensive issues with others who may not be as financially sound as you. Home repairs can be very expensive. It is hard enough to worry about your own and even harder to end up paying for someone else's because you cannot properly repair your own unless theirs are fixed also. This can certainly end up being the case with a shared driveway.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:58 AM

2,460 posts, read 1,160,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I'll never purchase a home again that shares anything with another home.
how about a wall or a telephone pole

Old 03-21-2014, 08:39 AM

I would share a pole if it is owned and maintained by a public service utility. I would not share a jointly-owned telephone pole maintained privately, such as in an HOA or a rural road situation.

I will never again share ownership of any type of inside or outside wall with another homeowner.

Joint ownership of real estate property is in my opinion an extremely risky situation to enter into, especially with strangers and especially at primary residences. Hickory Patrick's story is just the tip of the iceberg, but extremely relevant to my reasoning. Renters almost never take care of their rental property and frequently bring an unwanted element into the area. That has been my experience.

My main concern though is when costly repairs arise. Refusal to pay, lawsuits, continuing damage (purposefully and from delayed repairs), and even arrests are not uncommon when two or more homeowners have to mutually agree to complete an expensive repair. Take a case of adjoining driveways with a property line between them. Good luck getting your neighbor to rip up their driveway and re-grade it to re-direct water runoff that is flooding your basement without dragging them to court.

I could relate specific stories, but that shouldn't be necessary. We've all read about or been involved in these situations before as they are not uncommon. I would prefer not to even have a single-owner fence on the property line if possible, although that I may give in on depending on the situation.

Last edited by Airborneguy; 03-21-2014 at 09:52 AM..

Old 03-21-2014, 09:08 AM

2,311 posts, read 1,361,965 times
I agree with Airborneguy.

BTW, Airborneguy, think about the fence. There are some stories about people thinking they own the fence, both sides, and putting ladders and paint cans on the far side of the fence from them (meaning on your side) so they don't see them.

Middle Villager, shared anything is like having a roommate. Fine and fun and serviceable until an issue comes up. Then you realize you have different points of view, different family dynamics, different ideas on close by noise, different points of view on problem solving, different family and friends stopping by to work or hang out in the driveway, etc. etc.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:36 PM

82 posts, read 36,927 times
What if this is the only house I'll be able to get? I can barely afford it now and interest rates and prices are both only going up. There's no other inventory.

Is a house with shared driveway (only wide enough for one car at a time) really worse than no house at all and ending up continuing to rent?

I guess that's the question: If you could only choose one or the other, would you rather own a house with a shared driveway or be a renter and own no house at all?

Thanks. I know it's my decision, but I value any opinions about what others would do.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:27 PM

If that's the only house possible, then you're either getting it dirt cheap for some reason or you are considering other criteria which makes it so. There are plenty of other homes for sale all over the city. You have to decide which attributes are important to you and in what order. For me personally, this issue will be #1 or #2 when I purchase my next home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City