Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 09:38 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times

Advertisements

I am all for growth, and that is usually the sign of a healthy economy (or at least healthier than those losing population) but depends on what kind of growth. If the city is growing due to destitute people moving from other parts of the country or world, then that is not the kind of growth the city wants or needs to be healthy.

If we have a mix of people moving to the city, and the proper investment in infrastructure, housing, business, then it is healthy growth. And from what I can see over the past decade, NYC has been investing huge sums on major infrastructure projects and development/housing....can they do more? Alot more? YES...but they are addressing the issue and making investments. In my nabe (Southern Bronx) there are plans to build lots of dense towers everywhere, bringing in a mix of people...and my initial thought is great..finally! But I then look at my train stations (2/5/6) and realize there are many times where they are too crowded to even get on (particularly the 2 train), so how is the city going to accomodate all of these people.

And that's my major concern.....public transportation to accomodate all of the newbies is a major challenge that is not being addressed at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 10:28 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
Quote:
In my nabe (Southern Bronx)
I made it until this...

Old 03-28-2014, 10:39 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Meet a young woman on the subway from Georgia. She's been in the city for three years! She says she loves the different kinds of people, and different kinds of things that this city has to offer! And one can tell from her demeanor her love for this city!

People can say what they want about the City of New York: Yes, it's expensive as heck, and yes, back in the day, it was rough! But the prices and roughness have done little to draw people away from coming here!

Old 03-28-2014, 11:02 AM

I am glad the "reading for dummies" book seems to be working for you. You used to never make it past the log-in screen.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I am glad the "reading for dummies" book seems to be working for you. You used to never make it past the log-in screen.
Lol at arguably the most selective reader on this forum puking that out.

Also, quote function mf'r. Learn it...

Old 03-28-2014, 12:08 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Disasters in rural areas are still pretty bad once your lights and other services go out. If you're directly in the path of a tornado you are DONE for.

You've fires and earthquakes out west, blizzards and tornados in the Midwest, hurricanes and tornadoes in the South, it's unsafe across the whole country. And yes, many of these transplants have dealt with disaster in some form or another.
Disasters can strike anywhere but high density urban areas can be even more dangerous because you have the human element.

Look at the last storm you got people in NYC gouging fuel prices. NYC was lucky the most powerful portion of the storm hit NJ 1st and didn't hit NYC. Had the storm hit NYC with the greatest intensity, Staten Island would be 1/3 flooded and 1/2 of Manhattan would be flooded and that would take out most of the Subway system and tunnels.

If this scenerio happens you will have atleast a month long cleanup to restore services and I'm not so sure a lot of people can last that long without essential services. There are people in NJ and Staten Island that lost their homes. There are many downtown residents that couldn't return to their APT for as much as 1/2 the year because their building flooded.

I much rather be inland and in higher ground. Tornadoes can strike NYC, one touched down in Brooklyn and Staten Island last year. The bigger threat is the loss of critical infrastructure.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:14 PM

You cannot live your life worried about end of the world disasters of which you have no control, whether you are high on the mountain, lowlands, coast, interior, plains....they are all vulnerable to one or multiple disaster events and there is nothing you can do. This is irrelevent to the conversation.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
You cannot live your life worried about end of the world disasters of which you have no control, whether you are high on the mountain, lowlands, coast, interior, plains....they are all vulnerable to one or multiple disaster events and there is nothing you can do. This is irrelevent to the conversation.
Nobody is living their lives worried about the end of the world. Simply looking at something objectively and considering how absurd it is in some respects. And it's not only natural disasters either. When things get bad enough in this country....and it's possible in a few ways....you'd want you and your loved ones as far away from this lab experiment gone wrong as possible.

This is a thread on population in nyc on a discussion board. This is not irrelevant to the conversation.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:59 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Meet a young woman on the subway from Georgia. She's been in the city for three years! She says she loves the different kinds of people, and different kinds of things that this city has to offer! And one can tell from her demeanor her love for this city!

People can say what they want about the City of New York: Yes, it's expensive as heck, and yes, back in the day, it was rough! But the prices and roughness have done little to draw people away from coming here!
Very true.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:04 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Disasters can strike anywhere but high density urban areas can be even more dangerous because you have the human element.

Look at the last storm you got people in NYC gouging fuel prices. NYC was lucky the most powerful portion of the storm hit NJ 1st and didn't hit NYC. Had the storm hit NYC with the greatest intensity, Staten Island would be 1/3 flooded and 1/2 of Manhattan would be flooded and that would take out most of the Subway system and tunnels.

If this scenerio happens you will have atleast a month long cleanup to restore services and I'm not so sure a lot of people can last that long without essential services. There are people in NJ and Staten Island that lost their homes. There are many downtown residents that couldn't return to their APT for as much as 1/2 the year because their building flooded.

I much rather be inland and in higher ground. Tornadoes can strike NYC, one touched down in Brooklyn and Staten Island last year. The bigger threat is the loss of critical infrastructure.
Well, you know what, no matter what you do you're going to die at some point. There is no preventing it . Running around living your life in fear is just ridiculous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: