Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 1,894 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to NYC to work at Fort Totten in Bayside, Queens, starting June 1st. It will be me, my cat, and my 30 lb dog. I am looking at Bayside, Sunnyside, Woodside, and Astoria as options, but I really don't know the area well and am open to suggestions. Also, can anyone recommend a reputable broker for these areas?

My budget is up to $1600 for a studio/1 bedroom. I would prefer a neighborhood with some grass or parks where dogs are allowed, but a dog park isn't needed (my dog gets stressed around strange dogs and isn't used to the city yet).

I would also like to be in Bayside or Flushing proper to take the bus to Fort Totten, live along the 7 line to commute to the Flushing station, or live along the LIRR to commute to the Bayside station. I have a car now, but I am considering selling it after I get to NYC.

I am single, female, and in my 30s. I would prefer a safe, quieter neighborhood, but restaurants and neighborhood bars are welcome.

Any suggestions on neighborhoods and/or on brokers?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 03:50 PM

251 posts, read 341,895 times
Your budget works for most of Queens (although not Long Island City).

I don't know Bayside. But if you are interested in being on the 7 line, then Sunnyside is a great option. There are a couple of small parks there that would be fine for your dog. Plenty of ethnic restaurants and some great Irish pubs/bars. Jackson Heights might another area to check out.

Astoria has a huge park and an active nightlife. But it would be too much of a commute via subway to your work place. (Unless there is a direct bus line).

For easy access to the LIRR, check out Forest Hills. Lots of parks (Forest Park is Queens biggest) and lots of bars, restaurants, and shopping.

For realtors, this will vary by neighborhood. I always like searching on Streeteasy.com. Madeline Realty is good for Forest Hills - Forest Hills Real Estate & Forest Hills Homes for Sale

Old 03-31-2014, 05:41 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
You might want to add Woodside to the list as that is also along the number 7 subway line.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:52 PM

257 posts, read 685,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv224 View Post
For easy access to the LIRR, check out Forest Hills. Lots of parks (Forest Park is Queens biggest) and lots of bars, restaurants, and shopping.
Forest Park is Queen's biggest???

Old 03-31-2014, 08:41 PM

420 posts, read 823,615 times
Should be able to snag a studio at minimum in all of the neighborhoods you listed, OP. Bayside is so nice; I would try to live around there if I were you. For those times when you want to go into Manhattan on the weekends, the Bayside LIRR should bring you to Penn Station in about 20-25 minutes.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:13 AM

251 posts, read 341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopompos View Post
Forest Park is Queen's biggest???
Whoops - it is the 3rd largest.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,894 times
Thanks for your help!! I will focus my search on Bayside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City