Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 09:51 PM

6 posts, read 27,079 times

Advertisements

Planning to relocate across the country for the summer just to get out of my bubble and experience something new. I'm really looking for an area that has like-minded/similar-aged people, a cool bar scene, and a lot of conveniences within walking distance. Also, somewhere that will give me a good idea of what NY is like.

About myself:
I am from and currently live in the Bay Area, CA. I'm a white male, just turned 27 y.o., and have a college degree. I have worked in auto sales, real estate, medical device industry, and education. I have a really diverse social circle. I am laid back, well-traveled, street smart, and have an entrepreneurial mindset. I'm into many styles of music and art. I enjoy the outdoors, eating healthy, traveling, physical activity, sampling restaurants and bars. Mostly I like to experience new things (hence the relocation).

I have been doing a fair amount of research, reading a lot of posts on C.D. and other sites, and the places I've found that may be a good fit have been:

a. Williamsburg b. Greenpoint c. Murray Hill d. Alphabet City e. Upper West Side

Any comparisons of the above mentioned areas, other suggestions, or really any advice at all would be much appreciated! Thank you!

My budget is $1500/m

Last edited by Freshness; 03-31-2014 at 11:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 03:35 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
You know that you'll have to find yourself a roommate in those neighborhoods with that budget or expand your search to a larger geography.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:18 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshness View Post
Planning to relocate across the country for the summer just to get out of my bubble and experience something new. I'm really looking for an area that has like-minded/similar-aged people, a cool bar scene, and a lot of conveniences within walking distance. Also, somewhere that will give me a good idea of what NY is like.

About myself:
I am from and currently live in the Bay Area, CA. I'm a white male, just turned 27 y.o., and have a college degree. I have worked in auto sales, real estate, medical device industry, and education. I have a really diverse social circle. I am laid back, well-traveled, street smart, and have an entrepreneurial mindset. I'm into many styles of music and art. I enjoy the outdoors, eating healthy, traveling, physical activity, sampling restaurants and bars. Mostly I like to experience new things (hence the relocation).

I have been doing a fair amount of research, reading a lot of posts on C.D. and other sites, and the places I've found that may be a good fit have been:

a. Williamsburg b. Greenpoint c. Murray Hill d. Alphabet City e. Upper West Side

Any comparisons of the above mentioned areas, other suggestions, or really any advice at all would be much appreciated! Thank you!

My budget is $1500/m
None of those neighborhoods will give you a good idea of what NY is like.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You know that you'll have to find yourself a roommate in those neighborhoods with that budget or expand your search to a larger geography.

Definitely looking for a room in a multi-room apartment

Old 04-01-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
None of those neighborhoods will give you a good idea of what NY is like.

Any suggestions?

Old 04-01-2014, 03:22 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,821,765 times
My suggestion- stay in the Bay Area. You live in the premier location in the US. Trust me, the grass isn't greener. There is no grass, actually. This is the most artificial place in the US. Do you have any idea how bad winters are here? How rude and annoying NYers are? How fast-paced and corporate-driven this area is? Just how bad the traffic is? How dirty and polluted this hellhole is? Its not what you see on TV in romantic movies. I know a few people from SFO that couldn't wait to go back. NYC sucks.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:11 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshness View Post

About myself:

My budget is $1500/m
You'll have to decide whether you want Brooklyn or Manhattan. Greenpoint would be my top choice of those you listed. I would also add Fort Greene and Prospect Heights. Not sure about Manhattan, but Murray Hill always struck me as an area for frat-boy types and UWS might have a crowd that is older than you. In Manhattan I would stick to East Village.LES areas.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:19 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
I'd go with the East Village/LES or Williamsburg.

Must be nice to be able to just take off and spend the summer out in some other city.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:28 PM

510 posts, read 1,442,885 times
Of what you listed I would only go with Williamsburg or Greenpoint. That of course is based on what you said you were looking for, your demographics, etc. Upper west is a little bit older- more families, etc. Alphabet city is ok, but meh. Personally I'm not the biggest fan. Murray Hill is a bro'd out frat scene.

Williamsburg will give you a good idea of what NY is like, from the point of view of all of the people who move to NYC to experience that sort of thing. If that makes sense. Authentic old school NY is nothing like that, but let's be real people. When this guy says he wants to come to experience the city and lists those neighborhoods, that is clearly the version of NY that he is seeking.

Check out Astoria too.

And $1500 will be tight to find a place to yourself, but it may be doable considering you would be looking for a sublet, not a new lease.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:59 PM

379 posts, read 517,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
My suggestion- stay in the Bay Area. You live in the premier location in the US. Trust me, the grass isn't greener. There is no grass, actually. This is the most artificial place in the US. Do you have any idea how bad winters are here? How rude and annoying NYers are? How fast-paced and corporate-driven this area is? Just how bad the traffic is? How dirty and polluted this hellhole is? Its not what you see on TV in romantic movies. I know a few people from SFO that couldn't wait to go back. NYC sucks.
He is just visiting for the summer, let him make his own judgements.

$1500 may not cut it in the neighborhoods you mentioned. Look in Bay Ridge, Sunset Park, Bensonhurst, Bayside, Flushing, Inwood, Riverdale. All of those areas have public transit to Manhattan and rentals may fit your budget.

Summers are hot and humid here and there is no "natural" air conditioning in the summer like SF has with the fog.

The subway is exceptionally gross on a hot and humid day. You have been warned!

City beaches aren't great. You have to go to Coney Island or Rockaway. The LI and Jersey Shore beaches are much better, but you need a car to get there.

Nothing to see on Staten Island, I repeat nothing to see! I can reccomend a couple of restaurants near the ferry if you happen to venture accross.

Most of the pizza places are very much average. You will be disappointed.

Avoid the tourist traps!

Have fun and enjoy your visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: