Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 10:52 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

In 1995 we had record stores like Tower Records and HMV.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 11:24 AM

898 posts, read 1,218,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
oh wow, i remember that. i had a friend who worked there and was very happy (tower records). even virgin records is now gone from times square.

ehanson: yeah! the redbirds! i had to ride those to go to jackson heights so i could eat indian food and spend time with my indian girlfriend. that was where the indian community was located.

jen5276: kids was an amazing film. that black actor killed himself a year or two back with a drug overdose. the film was way underrated and i think parents had it blocked from major theaters or something, i forget.

jason priestley and luke perry were still hot icons
melrose place! that tv show was hot too with that soccer playing guy (forget his name) who is skinny and tall and the blonde locklear girl

Anonymous725: no. someone once drove me into a secluded area a bit past kings plaza (the opposite side near the water - see it on google maps). i think it was old mill basin or just mill basin. the trees had cameras in them. he told me that if residents don't recognize you, police are called right away. i believe a bigtime police captain from brooklyn lived in that area. i think a congress or state rep. guy did too because he showed me a multi-million dollar home that looked like a museum from the outside. brooklyn is not all ghetto. there are parts that are filthy rich.

i also remember in-line skating like someone mentioned here. that was very HOT. people were doing that everywhere like razor scooters were hot just about 5 years ago or so.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:30 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
oh wow, i remember that. i had a friend who worked there and was very happy (tower records). even virgin records is now gone from times square.

ehanson: yeah! the redbirds! i had to ride those to go to jackson heights so i could eat indian food and spend time with my indian girlfriend. that was where the indian community was located.

jen5276: kids was an amazing film. that black actor killed himself a year or two back with a drug overdose. the film was way underrated and i think parents had it blocked from major theaters or something, i forget.

jason priestley and luke perry were still hot icons
melrose place! that tv show was hot too with that soccer playing guy (forget his name) who is skinny and tall and the blonde locklear girl

Yea, I know, he ODed on cocaine. I was so sad to hear that. Honestly, just a really nice guy...very sweet. Have positive memories of him. Met him when he was skating through east village...he had a crush on my friend.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:15 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,306,116 times
Summer of 95' was a pretty good one. The city was much safer. The NYPD had just switched over from the light blue shirts to the dark blue shirts. The Country really started getting rolling from an economic stand point. It was the beginning of a very profitable 5-6 period, before the tech-bubble burst in 2001 and the world trade center attacks.

The stock market was on a roll, Cuomo was head of H.U.D and he and than President Clinton had the same vision that everyone should own a home so that really got the real estate market moving. Construction began in Ernest. Fannie Mae, Salle Mae began rolling out different types of Mortgage plans that allowed banks to write less conventional loans. It seemed like everyone had a job and was making money. It was a really great time not in our city's history, but the Country.

It's a shame the country & Clinton administration had too be so distracted by Clintons Sex scandal. Perhaps had we not we could have had more focus on squashing Bin Laden in 98-99 or 2000 when we had a real shot at getting him. I often wonder how much different this world would be now if that had happened.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:01 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
In the early 90's, none of us had cell phones, but a lot of us had those Motorola pagers from someplace called... was it Lisa Beepers? I don't even remember how we paid for the service, since we were young teens and definitely didn't have credit cards or checking accounts. We probably used money orders.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:06 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
And sporting goods stores like Herman's.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:07 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
In the early 90's, none of us had cell phones, but a lot of us had those Motorola pagers from someplace called... was it Lisa Beepers? I don't even remember how we paid for the service, since we were young teens and definitely didn't have credit cards or checking accounts. We probably used money orders.
They didn't do credit checks for beepers back then...all you needed was cash....why do you think drug dealers used them so much

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-03-2014, 02:10 PM

75 posts, read 112,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Yea, I know, he ODed on cocaine. I was so sad to hear that. Honestly, just a really nice guy...very sweet. Have positive memories of him. Met him when he was skating through east village...he had a crush on my friend.
Grew up there and my friend was good friends with HH. She still misses him to this day. I only met him once and it was a quick meeting. Just said what's up really so didn't know him at all but he was supposed to be a great dude.

I would love to go back for a day or two to 95 or 96'. The city was much grittier then but it had a lot more character. I would trade the city then in a heartbeat compared to what its become.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:13 PM

75 posts, read 112,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
It's a shame the country & Clinton administration had too be so distracted by Clintons Sex scandal. Perhaps had we not we could have had more focus on squashing Bin Laden in 98-99 or 2000 when we had a real shot at getting him. I often wonder how much different this world would be now if that had happened.
I've made the same point before that the city has become much worse since 9/11 as has the country. I agree with yours sentiment but what are your reasons?

Old 04-03-2014, 02:21 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeltNYC View Post
Grew up there and my friend was good friends with HH. She still misses him to this day. I only met him once and it was a quick meeting. Just said what's up really so didn't know him at all but he was supposed to be a great dude.

I would love to go back for a day or two to 95 or 96'. The city was much grittier then but it had a lot more character. I would trade the city then in a heartbeat compared to what its become.
Yea, really nice guy. The east village was the place to be back then...we were crazy though, walking around all hours of the night in that area..and then had to commute home back to Staten Island lol. Great memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City