Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 06:38 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I travel into East Harlem often for shopping. I see NO Chinese influence, NONE.
It remains very much Hispanic Harlem.
There's Chinese food places.

There are a lot of buildings in East Harlem that are being gut renovated. At least some of the developers are likely Chinese.

I also don't think people are saying Spanish Harlem has become Chinese Harlem. But if the neighborhood went even from 0% to 1% Chinese that's a big population jump, considering how fast demographics change in NYC.

Parts of Corona that were Black and Latino now have a large Chinese population.

In a few years East Harlem could be a different place as there are lots of closed buildings they could renovate and rent out to Chinese. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if those newly renovated buildings are specifically aimed at Chinese customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 06:47 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There's Chinese food places.

There are a lot of buildings in East Harlem that are being gut renovated. At least some of the developers are likely Chinese.

I also don't think people are saying Spanish Harlem has become Chinese Harlem. But if the neighborhood went even from 0% to 1% Chinese that's a big population jump, considering how fast demographics change in NYC.

Parts of Corona that were Black and Latino now have a large Chinese population.

In a few years East Harlem could be a different place as there are lots of closed buildings they could renovate and rent out to Chinese. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if those newly renovated buildings are specifically aimed at Chinese customers.
East Harlem is being bought by the Chinese in size. They don't live there in large numbers yet, but they've bought significant properties as landlords and property owners.

Bank of China backs Eichner’s Harlem project to the tune of $200M

"Over the past few years, Chinese investors have been aggressive in commandeering New York City real estate.

In 2014, the country accounted for about $6 billion in investments in US properties. Out of that total, about three-fourths flowed towards Manhattan.

“I think, generally, off-shore investors, and this is not specific to China, they tend to not understand our rent control and rent stabilization laws. And a lot of the changes that are occurring currently are further confusing them. I’ve seen a lot of people, because of what’s going on, pulling back to ‘If it’s not fair market, I don’t look at it,’” she said.

Nonetheless, the flow of Chinese cash to New York City will likely continue. The country’s investors currently own prime assets such as One Chase Manhattan Plaza and the Waldorf Astoria.

In an earlier interview, Bob Knakal, the chairman of investment sales at Cushman & Wakefield, said that he expects Chinese investors to inject $50 billion into the New York City real estate market over the next few years."

Last edited by ControlJohnsons; 06-04-2016 at 06:58 PM..

Old 06-04-2016, 06:49 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,224 times
The EB-5 Visa Program Allows 10,000 Wealthy Foreigners to Buy Citizenship Each Year - The Atlantic

"The massive $20 billion Hudson Yards project is one of the nation’s biggest development efforts. When it’s completed on New York’s west side, it will have have 5,000 apartments, six skyscrapers, and pneumatic tubes for trash disposal. And one more feature of the project: It has paved the way for the green cards of about 1,200 Chinese millionaires. How’s that? Via what’s known as the EB-5 “Immigrant Investor” program, which allows foreigners to get a green card if they invest a certain amount of money to create jobs in the United States. In effect, rich people can buy American citizenship, and that’s made it controversial in an era of wariness about immigration."

Create construction jobs, you got a green card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City