Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 02:03 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'm surprised, I would think most of them would identify more with Europe.
Probably do--can't say what it means for "most" Russians, since I've only talked with maybe a dozen or two in my lifetime. I can only say that I have met Russians from Russia who claim they are more accurately described as Eurasians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 02:42 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianlivesmatter909 View Post
Russia is in Asia. Are they Asian as well?
Technically yes, but are not referred to as Asian in day to say conversation.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:47 PM

83 posts, read 75,483 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH3aEz76Esg

Let's hope the gentrification occurs sooner rather than later.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Also what's with everyone saying Mexicans are taking over East Harlem?

When I walked around East Harlem I saw Mexicans (or possibly Central Americans) however I saw way more people who appeared to be of Puerto Rican or or Dominican descent, in addition to the non-Latinos.

And according to data provided by checkmatechamp, there was only one census tract in East Harlem as of the most recent census where Mexicans were the predominate Hispanic group.

I'd like your opinion on this checkmatechamp, especially since you're Mexican yourself if I'm not mistaken.
I'm more familiar with West Harlem. My experience with East Harlem is mostly in the vicinity of 125th & Lexington (and with a non-Hispanic acquaintance who lives around 110th near the FDR). I don't see any evidence of Mexicans being the predominant Hispanic group (let alone the predominant ethnic group period) any time soon, especially with the amount of NYCHA housing in the area, which tend to have few Mexicans in general.

And no, I'm originally from the country just south of the country where your Hispanic heritage comes from.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:09 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianlivesmatter909 View Post
Russia is in Asia. Are they Asian as well?
The asian part of Russia is conquered territory. Indigenous peoples of that land such as Yakuts or Tuvans are certainly Asian. The ethnic Russians are Europeans. Just as France has territory in South America, we don't call French people South Americans. Russia is a fairly multicultural country, but in English language we don't have different names for "ethnic Russian" and a "citizen of Russia", we call both people "Russians" regardless of their ethnicity.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:20 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I'm more familiar with West Harlem. My experience with East Harlem is mostly in the vicinity of 125th & Lexington (and with a non-Hispanic acquaintance who lives around 110th near the FDR). I don't see any evidence of Mexicans being the predominant Hispanic group (let alone the predominant ethnic group period) any time soon, especially with the amount of NYCHA housing in the area, which tend to have few Mexicans in general.

And no, I'm originally from the country just south of the country where your Hispanic heritage comes from.
That's what I figured, it doesn't seem like it's anywhere near being a predominately Mexican neighborhood.

And sorry about the confusion, I thought you insinuated one time that you were Mexican.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:41 AM

7,903 posts, read 7,879,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Not at all.

Mexicans are moving into East Harlem at higher rates and also have much higher birthrates.
Thank you. They have been in EH for a while now

Old 06-01-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Thank you. They have been in EH for a while now
Yeah but I don't see any evidence that they're the predominant ethnic group in EH

Old 06-01-2016, 10:57 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
It's only a matter of time before Brooklyn is swallowed up by Chinese as well. The Spanish sections of Brooklyn is quickly shrinking. North side dominated by the whites and the south quickly being colonized by the Chinese.

When I lived in Brooklyn, there was only Ave U. with Chinese. Then 8th Ave was only 2 intersections of four blocks of stores now it exploded to 20+ blocks or almost a 7mi radius up to the Hassidics section. In 10 yrs from now, I predict Chinese will have a 15-17mi radius of land. Remember Brooklyn is only about 25mi radius wide.

The main contributing factor is that Chinese buys properties while whites primarily rent in NYC. A lot of Chinese from China have millions in cash they need to stash before the Chinese KGB finds it.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's only a matter of time before Brooklyn is swallowed up by Chinese as well. The Spanish sections of Brooklyn is quickly shrinking. North side dominated by the whites and the south quickly being colonized by the Chinese.

When I lived in Brooklyn, there was only Ave U. with Chinese. Then 8th Ave was only 2 intersections of four blocks of stores now it exploded to 20+ blocks or almost a 7mi radius up to the Hassidics section. In 10 yrs from now, I predict Chinese will have a 15-17mi radius of land. Remember Brooklyn is only about 25mi radius wide.
What? I'm pretty sure the Hispanic population is increasing all over South Brooklyn. Wherever you find Chinese, you also find Mexican usually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City