Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 06:53 AM

43,303 posts, read 43,962,894 times

Advertisements

There is an increasing migration of Chinese speakers moving to East Harlem. Do you think eventually the Chinese speakers will outnumber the Spanish speakers living/working in the area?

Chinese moving into E. Harlem|People|chinadaily.com.cn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 10:25 PM

774 posts, read 901,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
There is an increasing migration of Chinese speakers moving to East Harlem. Do you think eventually the Chinese speakers will outnumber the Spanish speakers living/working in the area?

Chinese moving into E. Harlem|People|chinadaily.com.cn
From the looks of the patterns of immigrant/first generation Chinese migration?

I would say yes.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:49 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,867,242 times
Not at all.

Mexicans are moving into East Harlem at higher rates and also have much higher birthrates.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:24 PM

17,877 posts, read 15,723,446 times
The article states the increases is small, but noticeable in public housing. And not in luxury or high priced, which I assume is going to be any vacant unit in even the old dilapidated pre-war buildings.

Can recent immigrants even apply for public housing? Pardon my ignorence, but public housing is usually gubment assisted rents payments like section 8 and such correct? Or is there public housing where the tenant pays all the rent?

Old 04-03-2014, 12:45 AM

6,459 posts, read 11,982,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
The article states the increases is small, but noticeable in public housing. And not in luxury or high priced, which I assume is going to be any vacant unit in even the old dilapidated pre-war buildings.

Can recent immigrants even apply for public housing? Pardon my ignorence, but public housing is usually gubment assisted rents payments like section 8 and such correct? Or is there public housing where the tenant pays all the rent?

A lot of non english speaking people live in the projects. How they get a lease to move in is anyone's guess.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:45 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,809,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
A lot of non english speaking people live in the projects. How they get a lease to move in is anyone's guess.
As long as they are citizens or permanent residents they can apply to live in the projects. Some case worker helped them with the application, that's easy.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:01 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,133,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Well, a friend once told me that alot depends on the ethnicity of the Super.

She got what she needed when the ethnicity of the Super was the same as hers in the public housing she lived in. Her apartment became crowded once her daughter started having children, so she applied for a 3 bedroom (bare in mind there were now like 5 people in her family at the time she made the application), the Supers ethnicity had changed to a different branch of the same colored tree, and although new tenants who were the same ethnicity as the new Super were getting the 3 bedrooms she had applied for, she wasnt getting anywhere.

She deduced that it was based on ethnicity as to why an upgrade seemed out of reach to her.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:24 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,154,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Not at all.

Mexicans are moving into East Harlem at higher rates and also have much higher birthrates.
You'd be surprised how well the Chinese keep up.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:19 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,309,945 times
This will be a Mexican/Central American enclave long before it becomes Chinese. And if you look at places just a little further north, 138th street in the Southern Bronx, the impact of the Mexican community is strong and they have been taking over for some time. As the PRs and Blacks have moved up and out, they have been replaced with Mexican/Central Americans, at least following the 6 line north from East Harlem.

But hey crazier things have happened. I didn't think I would ever, never, ever see anyone of the "white" spectrum in my area, and yet here they are, liking it, and multiplying.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:49 AM

5,002 posts, read 4,884,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
This will be a Mexican/Central American enclave long before it becomes Chinese. And if you look at places just a little further north, 138th street in the Southern Bronx, the impact of the Mexican community is strong and they have been taking over for some time. As the PRs and Blacks have moved up and out, they have been replaced with Mexican/Central Americans, at least following the 6 line north from East Harlem.

But hey crazier things have happened. I didn't think I would ever, never, ever see anyone of the "white" spectrum in my area, and yet here they are, liking it, and multiplying.

I guess you would like to apply the communist chinese-style family policy on them if that is an option...just a guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City