Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 10:17 AM

5 posts, read 40,280 times

Advertisements

OK, so, got a muni-meter parking ticket for "Failure to display muni rec (h) (10)" - no visible receipt.

My question is I have two angles to fight this, and asking which argument has a better chance of getting this fine dismissed (and of course any other thing I may have missed).

The reality is that exactly at 5:00PM I purchased my receipt, and at the same time received the above ticket at exactly 5:00 PM. Doesn't a person have a reasonable amount of time to get out of one's car, goto the muni-meter and purchase time?? Will my receipt stamped 5:00PM be enough to have this ticket thrown out??

OR, just in case, I have another muni-meter receipt that says I had time before 5pm until 5:30p, and simply say here is my proof I had time, it was displayed, and don't know what the ticketing officer is talking about?

Which of these is a better defense??

THanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 11:04 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,037,241 times
and they will say it was nice of your friends to hand you their receipts.

GUILTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-04-2014, 11:05 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,009,751 times
I don't understand how you could have both tickets. If you had one from before 5:00 that lasted til 5:30, then why were you buying one at 5 pm? Was the before-5pm one displayed in your car while you were buying the 5 pm one?

In any case, I think the 5 pm purchase is more promising. I once parked with someone who paid the munimeter, got the receipt, but put it face down instead of face up. He got a ticket and still had to pay it because it wasn't displayed correctly.

With the 5 pm one, you can't be accused of displaying it improperly if it wasn't there.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:54 AM

Thank you for your replies.

OK, so I use the one that I purchased at 5pm. Is the fact that I should have a grace period to get from the muni-meter to my vehicle the proper defense then?

Old 04-04-2014, 12:37 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,009,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYcog View Post
Thank you for your replies.

OK, so I use the one that I purchased at 5pm. Is the fact that I should have a grace period to get from the muni-meter to my vehicle the proper defense then?
Why do you get to ask all the questions? I asked one of you and it wasn't answered.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:46 PM

Oh, ok - I thought you dismissed the idea of reason 1, so I was following up on reason 2.

I only purchased the one at 5pm.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:13 PM

4,762 posts, read 786,899 times
The DOT allows for a 5-minute grace period from the time in which you exit the vehicle until you purchase the ticket. You cannot be issued a violation within 5 minutes of payment or 5 minutes of expiration (it works either way). I used this defense once and it was accepted. If you choose a hearing by mail, be sure to refer to the city's own website where these rules are made available to the public, and include a copy in your envelope.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:25 PM

25,341 posts, read 36,827,738 times
If your charge was "failure to display" the proof that you bought the pass does not enter into the equation.
It was not displayed according to the officer.

So tell us what REALLY happened and we might be able to give an opinion.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:31 PM

I reiterate, I bought the ticket at 5PM and as I came to my car the automatron cop gave me a ticket.

Kefir - I don't understand - I understand if I got the ticket say at 5pm, and my ticket was until 4:59 - so this is the 5 min grace on the expiration side - but this is definitely the case that I bought it and they issued me a violation within in 5 mins - what other "reason" would they give in this case? It's not my fault whatever code they put down - the facts are the facts.

SteveC1024 - much appreciated - this is the route I will go!

Old 04-04-2014, 01:36 PM

Follow-up....according to the NYC.gov website: My VC is 38

"Muni Meter --
[LEFT](37)Parking in excess of the allowed time(38)Failing to show a receipt or tag in the windshield

Drivers get a 5-minute grace period past the expired time on Muni-Meter receipts."[/LEFT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City