Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 05:08 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times

Advertisements

Analysis: NYC 2000 to 2010 demographic change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 05:28 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
They're actually extending the bus lane from Slosson to Victory (which would bring that portion from 3 lanes to 4, but not 5). Right now, the current bus lane is shut down from Slosson to around Targee Street, but will reopen soon enough. I should know, because I'm involved with that project.

Me personally, I don't see any major "renaissance" across the entire North Shore. Maybe in St. George, because it's right by the ferry, but that's about it. And even then, the ferry sucks. I'll take the subway any day, thank you very much. Quicker, more frequent, fewer transfers. And to have to take a bus on top of that? Not happening.
Ok, guess you missed the word "predicted", no one said the NS was booming at the moment.

The Ferry is what it is, and persons have been griping about it for long as persons have been living on Staten Island and the service set up. Hint, if you don't want to deal with ferry service then do not live on an island. That and or find alternate means of transport.

Most native Staten Islanders long ago made their piece with the ferry. When in school and later college used the time waiting for and on the thing to do homework and other school assignments. That or what plenty of others do and or have done; sleep, read a book or something, knit, enjoy the view, chat with friends or whatever....

Peeps on SI have much less to gripe about regarding the ferry today than in times past. In my day you had to pay (first a nickel then twenty-five cents), and boats ran every hour after 9PM (SI side) and 930PM (Manhattan) . Indeed you could always tell SI residents when out say in the Village or on the 6, 1, or R trains. We were always looking at our watches to see if making the boat during the "hour" wait times was possible. Once the doors of a subway train opened up you see persons running like all heck to reach the terminal. What helped back then was passengers could board on the lower level where cars went in as well.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:09 PM

99 posts, read 143,918 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kOoyWVDNZc

^^This is the song they were talking about in the NYTimes article somebody else linked.
Park Hill and Stapleton get their H from Trenton, New Jersey from a Blood set called SexMoneyMurder. They have been untouchable for years.
It is at about 70% at potency and never fentanyl cut which is unheard of for BlackTar. Thats like a 8/10. Anything stronger is liable for overdose.

I cant imagine living there. The houses are dirt cheap but property taxes are high and lets not even talk about paying the verazano bridge to come to the city everyday. That alone offsets everything.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:52 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Property taxes are high and houses are dirt cheap? Lol. What Staten Island are you talking about? I'd love move there!

Old 06-17-2014, 04:01 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,254,574 times
Isn't Staten Island getting ghettoer and ghettoer as the years go by? I've heard that a lot of ghetto Brooklyn folks who have been priced out of Brooklyn are flocking to SI. Is this true?

Old 06-17-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Isn't Staten Island getting ghettoer and ghettoer as the years go by? I've heard that a lot of ghetto Brooklyn folks who have been priced out of Brooklyn are flocking to SI. Is this true?
Yes it tis, and it isn't just African-Americans or Latinos either as the white/Europeans (Italians, Sicilians, Russians, etc...) aren't always any prizes either. This is one reason why so many natives are leaving SI in droves.

Have never seen so many rude, ignorant, self absorbed persons on SI in my life. They've also brought their criminal/thug attitudes to SI which one supposes comes from having lived in denser type housing all their lives.

You only have to read the comments on SI Live (well no so much anymore as the Advance finally has begun moderating posts) to get an idea of the nasty attitude these persons have brought with them.

By "hood" and "ghetto" it is not just implied AA, but the same again from Italians and others from south Brooklyn.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Ok, guess you missed the word "predicted", no one said the NS was booming at the moment.

The Ferry is what it is, and persons have been griping about it for long as persons have been living on Staten Island and the service set up. Hint, if you don't want to deal with ferry service then do not live on an island. That and or find alternate means of transport.

Most native Staten Islanders long ago made their piece with the ferry. When in school and later college used the time waiting for and on the thing to do homework and other school assignments. That or what plenty of others do and or have done; sleep, read a book or something, knit, enjoy the view, chat with friends or whatever....

Peeps on SI have much less to gripe about regarding the ferry today than in times past. In my day you had to pay (first a nickel then twenty-five cents), and boats ran every hour after 9PM (SI side) and 930PM (Manhattan) . Indeed you could always tell SI residents when out say in the Village or on the 6, 1, or R trains. We were always looking at our watches to see if making the boat during the "hour" wait times was possible. Once the doors of a subway train opened up you see persons running like all heck to reach the terminal. What helped back then was passengers could board on the lower level where cars went in as well.
That's what I'm saying: Regardless of who's making those predictions, I'd don't see them coming true. Not until there's a direct subway connection to Manhattan.

As for the ferry, that's exactly my point. The fact that people have to "make peace" because the service is just that crappy is something that's going to deter a lot of people from moving there. They'll take your advice and avoid moving to an island in order to avoid dealing with that crappy service.

And yeah, I do that too sometimes (the studying and everything while waiting), but let's be realistic: People prefer show-up-and-go levels of service. It's preferable to have a little bit of flexibility knowing that leaving your house 5 minutes late isn't going to make you 20 minutes late for work. And for social events, people don't want to wait 30 minutes for a boat to come home after a night of partying.

As far as I know, ferry service was reduced back in 1975 due to the budget crisis. From what people have said, boats ran every 20 minutes in the middle of the day, and 30 minutes in the middle of the night. Up until last month, weekend boats were running every hour after 7:30PM (leaving Whitehall). Finally they improved the service on weekend evenings starting May 10th. (I was on that first extra boat). Though I still stand by my statement that 30 minute headways suck, but they just suck a lot less than 60 minute headways.

But yeah, that still goes on today. If you're walking along State Street next to Battery Park and see anybody running southbound, you know exactly what they're running for! That's exactly why I like the old South Ferry station better than the new one: It's closer to the surface, so it's fewer flights of stairs you have to climb when running for the ferry.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:31 PM

Yet more fun on the South Shore.

Residents are *shocked*, shocked that this sort of thing happened in their "nice" neighborhood.

Man in critical condition after being shot outside his home on Amboy Road in New Dorp | SILive.com

Old 06-29-2014, 10:53 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
I live prett close to that one. Oddly enough, the last murder in our neighborhood was noore than 100' from that one about 5 years ago.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I live prett close to that one. Oddly enough, the last murder in our neighborhood was noore than 100' from that one about 5 years ago.
You've got some interesting neighbors then: Prosecutors confirm that New Dorp shooting victim was shot with his own gun | SILive.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City