Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 10:21 AM

72 posts, read 124,809 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm 32 y/o, single male, US citizen living in Europe (in my native country). I have a job currently that allows me to save about $700/month after all the taxes, and all the living expenses. I have a very peaceful life here, and good quality of care (fresh food, health, shelter, security), but nothing fancy, just a normal life. I have 4 weeks of vacations paid by my company and I usually would travel at least twice a year in different countries in Europe. I've been graduated in Brooklyn college with a bachelor degree in Business in 2008, and I have already over 4 years of experience mostly in Data analysis and transport/logistics positions here in Europe. I have also my own apartment very close to the city center. I've been living in NYC for about 6 years and many times I miss it so bad though I come almost every year for vacation for 1 or 2 weeks.

Now the question.

Do you think It would sane of me to leave everything I have here and relocate to NYC for a better career, life and money? I have my brother living there which very often we would debate to each other whether it is worthy the move. He says that I'm better off where I am with the current status of US economy. What do you think guys, do I need to make the move?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 10:26 AM

620 posts, read 1,072,599 times
I think the economy is worst in europe (except germany).

Move here try it out, if you dont like it move back. Simple

Old 04-05-2014, 10:34 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times
Sounds like you've got a pretty good deal wherever you live now, but if you miss NY, it's certainly worth considering a move back. My impression is that NY City has gotten more popular over the last ten years. A lot of the neighborhoods in Brooklyn have been gentrified to the point where they're as expensive as Manhattan (Williamsburg, Park Slope, etc.). So it makes NY a nicer place to live, but it means that prices are going up. Brooklyn is expensive. The LES is expensive, etc. Not many of the cool old relatively-cheap neighborhoods left, but I don't know how much of this has actually happened since you left vs. earlier.

So, long story short, you already know you love New York, and there's no other city on earth like it, so if you can afford it, you should probably do so. But you should probably make sure you have a job and apartment lined up before you move, and I would recommend that you buy a condo if you can afford it, since prices are going up, and you're likely to sell it at a profit if you ever decide to move.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Sounds like you've got a pretty good deal wherever you live now, but if you miss NY, it's certainly worth considering a move back. My impression is that NY City has gotten more popular over the last ten years. A lot of the neighborhoods in Brooklyn have been gentrified to the point where they're as expensive as Manhattan (Williamsburg, Park Slope, etc.). So it makes NY a nicer place to live, but it means that prices are going up. Brooklyn is expensive. The LES is expensive, etc. Not many of the cool old relatively-cheap neighborhoods left, but I don't know how much of this has actually happened since you left vs. earlier.

So, long story short, you already know you love New York, and there's no other city on earth like it, so if you can afford it, you should probably do so. But you should probably make sure you have a job and apartment lined up before you move, and I would recommend that you buy a condo if you can afford it, since prices are going up, and you're likely to sell it at a profit if you ever decide to move.
Hi. I left NYC in 2009 during the financial crisis. I was having some hard time at that period finding a good job and decided to go in Europe where I was offered a job in my field for lower salary of course. But I had my home there so I did not have the need to pay any rent. Plus the cost of life is far lower than in NYC. Currently my brother lives in Ridgewood, Queens. I know the area very well cause I lived some years in that neighborhood. I f ever decide to come back I would be paying about $500/month rent in my brother's apartment which is is renting as well. What keeps me unsecured to make the move is that I'm not very well informed of how much has changed the job market since 2009. Did it get any better or it still the same if not worse? I read a lot in the news but I'm a little sceptical of the employment numbers. I would rather believe people in the forum than the numbers from the government.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:13 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times
I'm pretty sure the job market has improved since the financial crisis in 2009. I would say, though, that you should try to see what jobs are available, and even apply and do phone interviews if possible, before you leave.

One trend that has accelerated in the last few years is that big companies based in the northeast are starting to open offices in cheaper regions (usually the south) and do more of their hiring there, so that might put a damper on the job market in NYC. My New York-based company just opened a Raleigh office last year (and I moved down here), and Metlife and Fidelity have opened offices down here as well.

But New York being New York, I have to think there are still plenty of companies that want to stay in New York because it's the financial center and don't have the size or resources to open a second office. And if you can rent for $500/month with your brother, that's going to give you a big advantage vs. a lot of other job seekers.

Again, I would check out as much as you can before making a decision to move. Does your school offer any sort of alumni placement services?

Old 04-05-2014, 11:14 AM

575 posts, read 672,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn2007 View Post
Hello,

I have my brother living there which very often we would debate to each other whether it is worthy the move. He says that I'm better off where I am with the current status of US economy. What do you think guys, do I need to make the move?

Thanks,
Why don't you ask your brother? Wouldn't he have a better feel for your prospects based on his knowledge of you.

Without knowing the industry in which you work and your area of expertise, I find it hard to think that anyone can give you a definitive answer or advice.

A very smart guy told me long ago - "The last 3 places hurt in a downturn are the first and strongest to recover - New York City, Orlando and Las Vegas." I always remembered that.

By the way, $500 a month for rent is a huge deal. That's saving hundreds of dollars per month, even if you shared a 2 BR apt with a perfect stranger, or even with a friend.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalKaos View Post
Why don't you ask your brother? Wouldn't he have a better feel for your prospects based on his knowledge of you.

Without knowing the industry in which you work and your area of expertise, I find it hard to think that anyone can give you a definitive answer or advice.

A very smart guy told me long ago - "The last 3 places hurt in a downturn are the first and strongest to recover - New York City, Orlando and Las Vegas." I always remembered that.

By the way, $500 a month for rent is a huge deal. That's saving hundreds of dollars per month, even if you shared a 2 BR apt with a perfect stranger, or even with a friend.
I speak all the time with him and he is not very sure if the job market is healthy enough. I have applied many times from where I'm at this moment and had only one interview in the last 4 months after sending over 100 resumes. This really scares me. I don't know if being in NYC physically would increase the chances to get hired. Really tough decision

Old 04-06-2014, 02:43 PM

205 posts, read 284,878 times
Im "European" and "American", so I have two citizenships like you. No, I WOULD NOT EVER come to NYC from Europe having the situation you have. I was living there and the only reason I came back was due t the dismal economy of Europe but in terms of things such as "when you have a relatively good job", I would never have come back and now the economy here is terrible for job seekers (unless you know someone). So this myth about the land of "opportunities" is just that, a myth.

PS: I had a good job there but was shut down due to the economy and the cuts.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:46 PM

205 posts, read 284,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn2007 View Post
I speak all the time with him and he is not very sure if the job market is healthy enough. I have applied many times from where I'm at this moment and had only one interview in the last 4 months after sending over 100 resumes. This really scares me. I don't know if being in NYC physically would increase the chances to get hired. Really tough decision
Yep, this is it. At least you got ONE interview from so far away!

Me: I´m supposedly "Ivy League" educated so that should open doors right? Wrong. I could count with one hand how many interviews I've gotten here since I returned a year ago and the lack of professionalism and people who are just incompetent at their job is notable.

I was sending hundreds of résumés and no good feedback, not even a nod from any employer. That's why I decided to stop looking and now am looking at starting some kind of business. So no, DO NOT come here without a job. You'd be demented if you did that.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:12 AM

Thanks Kunniholm for your time to answer my concern. This is really unbelievable for me that for a city like NYC, which is supposed to be the center of the world when it comes to jobs also, you have to send hundreds of resume to get a job interview. For each of us is different luck when it comes to finding a good job. I need advises like yours to help me to make any decision. When it comes to make such decision to move from one place to another the best feedback can be found from average people in forums like this, not from what medias try to portrait a reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City