Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 10:00 AM

307 posts, read 927,855 times

Advertisements

If you are looking for good seats, center orchestra, 3rd through 12th row, you'll pay full price and maybe premium price, unless the show is a bomb.

For discounts Checkout:

Broadwaybox.com

Broadway.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 02:05 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,483 times
I was @ the TKTS ticket booth the last week of March. I was looking for tickets to a family show with my wife and 9 & 10 year olds. The 4 that met that criteria and were being heavily discounted at TKTS were Pippen, Matilda, Newsies and Mama Mia I think. We purchased good seats at $75 a piece to Pippen and were very satisfied with the seats and the show. According to the TKTS information guy the theatres are trying to fill up seats on the day of the show. He said that the inexpensive tickets (under $60) sell out early and only the more expensive seats are left on the day of the show. These $150 tickets are discounted at 40 50 % to fill up the show and that's what we ended up with

My wife was so happy that we decided to try and rush the box office at the theatre the next day on the day of the show. So as people are walking in to see Matilda my wife told the nice man behind the glass that we need 4 tickets as close together as possible. So we waited until the lines were gone everyone was seated and he started going through what was left over. I don't know if they were no shows, cancellations, or tix that just didn't sell but in the end sure enough he had 3 together in the mezz and 1 standing room only. The 3 in the mezz we got for $45 and the SRO $27. Not bad I thought and we went in the wife and I agreed to change the SRO for the seat at Intermission. I showed my SRO ticket to the usher and he directed me to a seat in the4th row and I was all happy.

Rushing the box office worked better for us although it is a little more risky as the TKTS is a straight up ticket purchase. I think the man behind the window really wanted to help out a family and I got other breaks in my visit to NY because I had children in tow. If you want a definite thing go to TKTS and get a good deal on good tix. If you don't mind hanging around a box office before a show to possibly get an even better deal rush the box office.

Oh and im not sure what other shows are showing up on the TKTS discount board but it seems to me there are a couple more adult like shows than the ones I was looking at. Old stalwarts like Les Miz or Phantom. Forget about the Lion King and other huge hits that do need to sell discount tix to fill up the theatre

Old 04-15-2014, 07:31 PM

67 posts, read 145,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I don’t mean to be a snob, but these are tourist shows. They’re designed to lure tourist who pay dearly for them. There are much cheaper ways of seeing shows on Broadway, but they’re usually for lesser-known (though arguably much better) shows.

I suggest coming to the city for the weekend. Plan other things to do. Do some research on a variety of shows that might interest you, and then go to TKTS on the day of the performance and see what you can get. If you absolutely must see The Lion King on a particular night it will cost you.
haha it's not snobby,

yes, if I was gonna see a show, it'd have to be a "touristy" one like Lion King or Phantom

I think I'm just gonna rent that stupid dvd instead at these prices -_-

Old 04-15-2014, 09:05 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,240,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
I showed my SRO ticket to the usher and he directed me to a seat in the 4th row
Hope you showed your appreciation.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:55 PM

25 posts, read 38,366 times
BroadwayForBrokePeople.com

The name says it all. I've found good stuff here.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:10 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
The 4 that met that criteria and were being heavily discounted at TKTS were
Pippen, Matilda, Newsies and Mama Mia I think. We purchased good seats at $75 a
piece to Pippen
You picked the right one. Too bad you didn't get to see Andrea Martin.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:45 AM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
TPK is right that they are tourist shows - but that's okay if that's what you want. However, keep in mind that musicals will be more expensive.

The TKTS booth is a good idea. Most of the plays there are pretty much the same from day to day. In my experience, the shortest lines are either really early, or really late.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:52 AM

There's also a lot of Off-Broadway and even Off-Off Broadway stuff offered and very little of it is for tourists who want THE LION KING (Or Madame Toussauds.)

I think perhaps the really BIG Broadway shows should be moved to the Meadowlands and be run in perpetuity...with a Ferris Wheel and hookers. They could run shuttle buses.
"PHANTOM in it 75th year!"
Lion King could have special appeal long after the last lion went extinct.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:10 PM

8,688 posts, read 11,076,893 times
I am not a physically large guy by any means....how does one really fit into those tiny seats at some of these shows. Sometimes I really think the nyc subway seats are larger

Old 04-18-2014, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I am not a physically large guy by any means....how does one really fit into those tiny seats at some of these shows. Sometimes I really think the nyc subway seats are larger
The Times did an extensive study of the seats in the oldest theaters pointing out how very much smaller the seats are than are tolerable today. Their concusion was that people must have been much smaller when these theaters were built.

I am well over 6 feet and over 200 pounds with very wide shoulders and a ruined back. There are times when I could hardly walk after trying to cram my knees under my chin for two hours. And of course, after I'm settled, a 400 pounder wearing a parka will inevitably cram in next to me. I have actually paid for a seat and then opted to stand in the back instead, muttering to myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: