Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 04:52 PM

8 posts, read 9,729 times

Advertisements

I currently live on the UES (82nd and york). I work in Ridgewood Brooklyn off the Dekalb L train stop. I will have a car in the next couple of months, so I will no longer be taking the train (work requirement).

I pay $1525 for half of a 2 bedroom currently, and I was looking to save some money by finding a cheaper place. I've been looking into Sunset Park, Middle Village, and possibly Rego Park.

Looking for a 1 bedroom. Ideally would like to find somewhere with laundry in the building. Have a combo unit in my current apartment, so I've been spoiled. Also would like relatively easy street parking. Looking for a 20 minute or less commute.

Willing to pay up to $1500, but would like to pay considerably less if possible.

Any other areas I should be looking into? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 05:05 PM

33,918 posts, read 47,107,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogawk View Post
I currently live on the UES (82nd and york). I work in Ridgewood Brooklyn off the Dekalb L train stop. I will have a car in the next couple of months, so I will no longer be taking the train (work requirement).

I pay $1525 for half of a 2 bedroom currently, and I was looking to save some money by finding a cheaper place. I've been looking into Sunset Park, Middle Village, and possibly Rego Park.

Looking for a 1 bedroom. Ideally would like to find somewhere with laundry in the building. Have a combo unit in my current apartment, so I've been spoiled. Also would like relatively easy street parking. Looking for a 20 minute or less commute.

Willing to pay up to $1500, but would like to pay considerably less if possible.

Right under your nose. Look into Ridgewood. Maybe you can even walk to work.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-08-2014, 05:18 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,079,855 times
Usually areas that are not near subways and that have a high percentage of houses as opposed to apartment buildings are the easiest areas to find street parking. So my vote goes to Middle Village, Glendale and Maspeth. (Parts of Maspeth are heavily industrial, though.) I would imagine you might be able to find a $1200 apartment in those places, but it might be a studio.

But I also agree that Ridgewood could be a very good place to look, unless street parking is a problem there.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:25 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 14 days ago)

43,476 posts, read 44,210,294 times
I would suggest Glendale as it is might be walking distance, street parking (and some parts without alternate side parking if things haven't changed) and subway service for when you don't want to drive into Manhattan.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:33 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,282,211 times
Not sure why you would consider Sunset Park as it wouldn't be convenient. Plus it is a worse and more expensive area than the others suggested.

If you drive everyday during regular business hours, parking shouldn't be much of an issue.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:46 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,205,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogawk View Post

How about Ridgewood?

I know Sunset Park pretty well. It's okay. A little beat up looking. A lot of the housing is in so-so shape. But I've never felt in danger there.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:04 PM

8 posts, read 9,729 times
Thanks for the suggestions! I will look into them.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:20 PM

17 posts, read 33,927 times
I always thought that Ridgewood was in in Queens, not Brooklyn.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:23 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,079,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebanjo View Post
I always thought that Ridgewood was in in Queens, not Brooklyn.
It is. It's in Queens near the Brooklyn border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City