Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 01:48 AM

251 posts, read 341,152 times

Advertisements

Whole Foods rival - Trader Joes - exists in Queens already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 06:46 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,892,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
White native New Yorker especially those from the from the outer borough's are culturally different than suburban whites who move to NYC after college. i highly doubt Vinny, Tony, Anthony and Joey would rather shop at Keyfood or fine fare than shop at over priced, feel good about myself, Im better than you Whole Foods.
You haven't had white Native New Yorkers in the outer boroughs in any real numbers in quite sometime (except maybe Staten Island). The white working class largely fled NYC, outside of certain union jobs.

Most Key Food locations in Queens have closed, btw.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv224 View Post
Whole Foods rival - Trader Joes - exists in Queens already.
Yes. It's on Woodhaven Blvd. Trader Joes is also in Brooklyn. Now that I think about it, Trader Joes is already in Staten Island.

As for Whole Food's, not only is there one in Red Hook, but another one is under construction in Williamsburg. So a Whole Food's will eventually come to Queens.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:47 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,278,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You haven't had white Native New Yorkers in the outer boroughs in any real numbers in quite sometime (except maybe Staten Island). The white working class largely fled NYC, outside of certain union jobs.

Most Key Food locations in Queens have closed, btw.
Quote:
Yes. It's on Woodhaven Blvd. Trader Joes is also in Brooklyn. Now that I think about it, Trader Joes is already in Staten Island.

As for Whole Food's, not only is there one in Red Hook, but another one is under construction in Williamsburg. So a Whole Food's will eventually come to Queens.
The Trader Joe on Woodhaven Blvd happens to be right down the street from Archie Bunker's house in which the area in general is still majority white working class natives.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:51 AM

364 posts, read 706,966 times
I like Whole Foods, but I don't like their prices. I usually go to Trader Joe's or Chinese supermarket for groceries, sometimes Costco if my friend drives there.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
The Trader Joe on Woodhaven Blvd happens to be right down the street from Archie Bunker's house in which the area in general is still majority white working class natives.
Queens as a whole is not majority white working class native, nor is Brooklyn. The vast majority of white working class people have fled NYC.

You can find isolated pockets here and there, but my overall point stands. And of those remaining, many of them are civil service type employees as I previously pointed out (cops, FDNY, and other city agencies).

Old 04-10-2014, 08:05 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,278,811 times
Quote:
Queens as a whole is not majority white working class native, nor is Brooklyn. The vast majority of white working class people have fled NYC.

You can find isolated pockets here and there, but my overall point stands. And of those remaining, many of them are civil service type employees as I previously pointed out (cops, FDNY, and other city agencies).
And my point is that of all the locations to choose from in Queens, Trader Joe's picked a location that is one of these majority white working class native pockets. So they are not only going after yuppies and transplants but a much wider demographic. All types of people travel to the Woodhaven Blvd location. As a business, they want it all.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:22 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,847,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Whole foods is the modern equivalent of the confessional booth. Upper middle class Americanized consumers go there to buy indulgences to feel better about their existence. It is high moral ground consumerism and it is humbug. In the same way a trip to the confessional would wash the soul of sin now a purchase of organic quinoa garlic chips is a conscience cleansing experience. The folks that shop there pay a huge mark up for their services for products that can be had in urban ethnic markets for half the price with much better quality. My take is that the food at whole foods is retrograde and significantly overpriced.

Whole foods does not work in ethnic urban communities where there is a legacy culinary tradition. Whole foods requires white boy demographic to dominate an area for whole foods to work. Much of the ingredients are not available for ethnic dishes at WF. Whole food appeals to suburban blacks or whites that grew up with with tasteless microwave food or way too much McDonald trash and have now reacted to that culinary abomination by shifting to tasteless organic food.

My advice is go ethnic and go simple and you will find cheap basic ingredients for the most healthy ethnically appropriate diet possible. If you are an American black or an American white or Just spent too much time in the suburbs with an impotent culinary tradition you can start your own tradition by mimicing the culinary delights of the civilized ethnics of the urban areas. That tradition does not include the high-moral ground consumerism of whole foods. Start with a pasta fagioli soup from scratch. Pure fibre packed deliciousness.
This is not true. There are plenty of Caribbean homeowners from Wakefield and East NY schlepping groceries home from the Tribeca Wholefoods. It's the closest to the financial district. They pick up their groceries at lunch time.

If you are a cook its the ingredients you are looking for. You can make them taste the way you want with the right spices, which Whole Foods also sells or they can get in their ethnic neighborhoods.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:25 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,847,938 times
Brooklyn and Queens are large boros and can stand to have at least 2 Trader Joes and Whole Foods. Many City workers are now located in LIC that would be a nice location and they can take their groceries home from there.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:32 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,565,902 times
It seems OP doesn't rep Wholefoods because of the selection but moreso because of the buffet table? I can count the amount of times I've eaten at a buffet like that on my hand, and it certainly wouldn't be the reason I would go to a chain like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City