Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 08:32 PM

107 posts, read 209,871 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I currently live in the St. Louis, MO area. The company I work for is opening a small office in NYC (Manhattan area I think but not final) later this year. It is within the realm of possibility that I could potentially move to work there in the future. Right now I'm just wanting to come up with a plan and figure out the cost of living and what I will need to make to live there. I've always dreamed of living on the East Coast but it has never been feasible and now that there is a chance, while still a small one because this news is so new and I don't really know what will happen...It's very scary to think about but exciting haha. We just moved here about a year ago from rural Illinois. We're finally settled but I at least want to entertain this idea if the company would send me there. I'm wanting to know what to expect when it comes to making a move like that in terms of the cost of living, places/neighborhoods to consider, utilities, should we keep our cars? etc. I am married but I would probably be the only guaranteed a job. So I'm wondering what are some affordable (by NYC standards), safe, etc. My wife and I currently rent a house and have a small dog with some issues so I'm sure there would be some adjustments as I'm sure there are no affordable houses. A bit about me. I'm an artist (aren't we all haha), we're in our mid twenties, progressive, etc. etc. Any info would be appreciated as well as things to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 08:48 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdagarim View Post
Hello all, I currently live in the St. Louis, MO area. The company I work for is opening a small office in NYC (Manhattan area I think but not final) later this year. It is within the realm of possibility that I could potentially move to work there in the future. Right now I'm just wanting to come up with a plan and figure out the cost of living and what I will need to make to live there. I've always dreamed of living on the East Coast but it has never been feasible and now that there is a chance, while still a small one because this news is so new and I don't really know what will happen...It's very scary to think about but exciting haha. We just moved here about a year ago from rural Illinois. We're finally settled but I at least want to entertain this idea if the company would send me there. I'm wanting to know what to expect when it comes to making a move like that in terms of the cost of living, places/neighborhoods to consider, utilities, should we keep our cars? etc. I am married but I would probably be the only guaranteed a job. So I'm wondering what are some affordable (by NYC standards), safe, etc. My wife and I currently rent a house and have a small dog with some issues so I'm sure there would be some adjustments as I'm sure there are no affordable houses. A bit about me. I'm an artist (aren't we all haha), we're in our mid twenties, progressive, etc. etc. Any info would be appreciated as well as things to consider.
The only way to suggest "affordable" neighborhoods is to know what amount you're going to be able to spend on monthly rent. Most landlords want you to make 40x the monthly rent as gross income. So if you make $60,000 before taxes, then you can rent an apartment for $1500 per month.

There have been a few threads lately discussing the cost of utilities so try to do a search for that in this forum going back about one month.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:30 PM

That is very true. I do not know at this point as what I'm trying to do is figure out how much I need to ask for in terms of pay to take an offer in the area. I guess I'm asking, what is an average cost for a decent place in a decent area?

Also, how bad are landlords in the city? I'm assuming there are the good and the bad. I also assume it is much harder to find a place when relocating than already being there.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:44 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
That is very true. I do not know at this point as what I'm trying to do is figure out how much I need to ask for in terms of pay to take an offer in the area. I guess I'm asking, what is an average cost for a decent place in a decent area?

Also, how bad are landlords in the city? I'm assuming there are the good and the bad. I also assume it is much harder to find a place when relocating than already being there.
I don't really know how to answer that, but if you are looking for affordability, you could look at prices in places like Bay Ridge, Kew Gardens and Ridgewood. Those are examples of areas that have subways and are decent places to live. I think a one bedroom will run you anywhere from $1300 to $1700 in all those places. That would not include utilities like cooking gas, electric and internet, but may include heat and hot water.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:55 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,433 times
It totally varies based on what kind of neighborhood vibe you want, how far you're willing to commute, etc. I would make sure you request a minimum of $2000 a month toward rent (and this would be for a one bedroom). $3,000 would be even safer if your position will allow it. That will give you much more flexibility in terms of neighborhood/the ability to possibly have a two bedroom, etc. You can definitely do it for less than $2000, but unfortunately the places/neighborhoods are becoming few and far between these days.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:37 AM

Thanks, that is definitely helpful and also close to what I was originally thinking. I'm also okay with up to a 30 minute commute since that's what I drive out here for work every day. Not sure if that adds parts of NJ or Long Island into the mix?

Old 04-17-2014, 10:22 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Thanks, that is definitely helpful and also close to what I was originally thinking. I'm also okay with up to a 30 minute commute since that's what I drive out here for work every day. Not sure if that adds parts of NJ or Long Island into the mix?
Nowhere in Long Island, maybe a few areas across the river in New Jersey. A lot of NYC is also out, thirty minutes may be difficult.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:02 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,433 times
Quote:

30 minutes is going to be pretty tough honestly. In NYC you're almost definitely going to be commuting via public transportation, ESPECIALLY if you're working in Manhattan. You'll have to put it in a garage every day and you're looking at a lot of money to do that. (For example, day-only parking in midtown will run you $350+ monthly). Plus with rush hour traffic it actually may take you longer to drive somewhere. A monthly unlimited Metrocard is $112. By train it's safe to figure that ANY commute will take a minimum of 30 minutes unless you're only going a couple of stops. Especially during rush hour.

Realistically you're gonna have to be ok with at least a 45 minute- 1 hour door to door commute unless you're able to live in/very close to Manhattan (depending on where in Manhattan your office will be located).

NJ could be in the mix (via the PATH especially) but so could Long Island via the LIRR. But you would need to add time to the commute. You could reasonably be in the city within 30-40 minutes on the LIRR at Penn station, but then would have to commute from Penn to wherever your job is on the subway.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:05 AM

Yeah, good points on commute, that all seems reasonable. Would asking for $80k seem doable to support my wife and I until she can find work or should I shoot for higher? I would probably look in Brooklyn to live with a decent amount of space, 2 br if possible. I know that leaves about $50k in take home. Right now I make the average for my profession which let's me live reasonably well here. The average for my profession on NY is actually 50-60k according to the internet and that's way too low for me to ask. I don't want to give up to much on my quality of life if the subject of going to ny becomes an option.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:35 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
OP NY is all about give in take. It's not like the midwest where you can write down all the things you want and most likely check them off the list. Here you have
#1 Amount you can afford/want to spend on a apt
#2 Neighborhood
#3 size
#4 Distance from train/commute time to work
#5 Older walk up/Modern with amenities

Figure out what is most important to you and go from there.
Your price range for a 2 bedroom with a 30 minute commute time will not happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City