U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 09:13 AM

507 posts, read 752,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
4. You were still in touch with a "homeless man" 2 years later????????????
This.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 09:16 AM

12,349 posts, read 23,384,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
Or maybe people who are heartless and do live here should move away to make the city a better place to live.
Well, I agree with that on principle. But I'm unclear about who you're calling heartless in this situation. Is anyone who refuses to invite a bum in for a shower and a hot meal heartless? If that's who you're calling heartless (please clarify), then do you fit into this category as well? Or do you have a story like Taxi Guy about inviting a bum in for a shower?

Old 04-19-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Especially if you let the bum use her bidet.
Ha! I'm sure that buildings that have bidets wouldn't even have a pleasantly aromatic person with clean clothes hang out in the lobby, let alone bums... Where in ny did you see bidets? I would like visit those european buildings.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Well, I agree with that on principle. But I'm unclear about who you're calling heartless in this situation. Is anyone who refuses to invite a bum in for a shower and a hot meal heartless? If that's who you're calling heartless (please clarify), then do you fit into this category as well? Or do you have a story like Taxi Guy about inviting a bum in for a shower?
Clearly there are some serious bum sympathizers roaming the forum. Or perhaps all of them are devoted disciples of Buddha. They probably grew up in gated communities.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:52 PM

2,521 posts, read 4,815,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Mero_Mero View Post
I can't really complain to the higher ups because I just moved in on April 1st and my name isn't even on the lease (mother's is), I mean, I'm a good and courteous neighbor, but they wouldn't want me there as I'm not on the lease.
So? You're a legal resident of the building.

For the short term, call the police. They will come wake up him up and tell him to scram. They'll also provide him with services to a shelter if he requests it.

For the longer term, make sure your landlord/super are aware. The fix could be as simple as adjusting the hydraulic arm on the front entrance door so that it definitely closes after someone goes through it, rather than just lightly shut, which can allow the latch to just rest against the frame, making it possible for just anyone to simply push it open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
If you were a really caring person, you might consider letting the guy come in and take a bath. Homeless people are still people. They have just fallen down on hard times.

If you feel uncomfortable allowing him into your home, maybe offer to give him a ride to the local shelter?
There is no conceivable way in which either of these ideas could possibly backfire...

Old 04-19-2014, 05:52 PM

11,506 posts, read 14,516,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entangled View Post
Clearly there are some serious bum sympathizers roaming the forum. Or perhaps all of them are devoted disciples of Buddha. They probably grew up in gated communities.
Not everyone. I did not grow up in a gated community, And you would be surprised how many people were either in this position or borderline at some point in their lives. For most working people, The possibility of becoming displaced with no permanent address-Even if not sleeping rough is not impossible.

It can be unsafe to invite a stranger in, Regardless of their housing situation. Maybe offering some food and referring them to an agency is best. The concern for one's welfare when dealing with a stranger is understandable. Not having a home is an awful way to live. We often take for granted having access to shelter, food and the necessities. Nothing wrong with compassion for people in a position like this-Regardless of why they are there.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:58 PM

6,531 posts, read 5,018,091 times
Quote:
I grew up in a gated community.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:52 PM

518 posts, read 736,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Okay....
1. You let a homeless man in
2. Your smarter gf kicked him out
3. 2 years later he was in an accident
4. You were still in touch with a "homeless man" 2 years later????????????
5. Based on what you were told (if true) he lied about being a Vietnam vet (if your story or his is true)

Yeah... Let's not let strangers sleeping in our lobbies into our buildings...... Thanks.

Guessing the GF broke up with you.....
I'm not sure what you consider in touch. Anyone who lived in that area could not help but be aware of this guy because he was always around begging and cursing out people. He died in a vacant building around the corner from where I lived. When I commented to a neighbor that it was somehow sadder because he was a disabled vet, which is what the guy told me he was, the neighbor set me straight on how this sad guy became a cripple.

GF was clearly not a caring person and I gave her the bums rush about a month later. She never picked up her clothes so I threw them out on the fire escape where they sat for 2 weeks until the landlord pointed out that he could get a ticket for the obstruction. Then I just threw them out.
Why didn't she pick up her clothes? It's a terrible, disgusting story, really putrid, but you wouldn't believe it.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:10 PM

518 posts, read 736,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Especially if you let the bum use her bidet.
No bidet but something probably even rarer today in New York. A cold water flat with the tub and hot water heater in the kitchen. The toilet was a cubicle built facing one of the windows, which was smart. I don't recall if he used the facility.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:15 PM

12,349 posts, read 23,384,277 times
Quote:
Ha! I'm sure that buildings that have bidets wouldn't even have a pleasantly aromatic person with clean clothes hang out in the lobby, let alone bums... Where in ny did you see bidets? I would like visit those european buildings.
There is bidet scene in Crocodile Dundee, when he is staying in the Plaza Hotel in NYC. Sadly, I read that they filmed on a set built for the movie, and the Plaza Hotel does not actually have bidets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYIe9o2jMSE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City