Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 11:17 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,318 times

Advertisements

It's not that crazy to still be "in touch" with a homeless person a year or two after you first see/interact with them. The same homeless man has been waiting on the stairs at 86th st on the 4/5/6 for the 2 years that I've been commuting there for work. I give him food sometimes and have chatted with him before- he's a nice older guy.

It is that crazy to even consider letting someone into your home though. Clearly the person who posted that has no clue what the situation is here, as evidenced by suggesting we drive them (?) to a shelter (which are all full). But I get the sentiment/wanting to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 08:38 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi guy View Post
GF was clearly not a caring person and I gave her the bums rush about a month later. She never picked up her clothes so I threw them out on the fire escape where they sat for 2 weeks until the landlord pointed out that he could get a ticket for the obstruction. Then I just threw them out.
Why didn't she pick up her clothes? It's a terrible, disgusting story, really putrid, but you wouldn't believe it.
You've sparked my interest. Do tell.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:13 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entangled View Post
Ha! I'm sure that buildings that have bidets wouldn't even have a pleasantly aromatic person with clean clothes hang out in the lobby, let alone bums... Where in ny did you see bidets? I would like visit those european buildings.
I'm pretty sure he just meant to be funny.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:14 AM

A lot of homeless people don't want to go to a shelter for a bath, etc. They prefer the street. Not saying all but quite a few. Honestly at some point many just stop caring. If they really cared enough about basic hygiene, they could do a "bird bath" in a public bathroom.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:02 AM

774 posts, read 906,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
A lot of homeless people don't want to go to a shelter for a bath, etc. They prefer the street. Not saying all but quite a few. Honestly at some point many just stop caring. If they really cared enough about basic hygiene, they could do a "bird bath" in a public bathroom.
How do you expect..........................................?

Old 04-22-2014, 02:08 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Quote:
The shelters are often dirty, dangerous, residents stuff often gets stolen and its all they have left in the world to begin with. And more unpleasant then being tucked away somewhere- If only to be alone and at peace. A bird bath would do little to begin with for someone unable to wash their clothing, wearing at best clothes for a weeks at a time.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:08 PM

520 posts, read 844,230 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure he just meant to be funny.
Me too.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:12 PM

912 posts, read 2,099,472 times
Tourist

Old 04-23-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
The shelters are often dirty, dangerous, residents stuff often gets stolen and its all they have left in the world to begin with. And more unpleasant then being tucked away somewhere- If only to be alone and at peace. A bird bath would do little to begin with for someone unable to wash their clothing, wearing at best clothes for a weeks at a time.
Ahaaa that is a whole other issue, a big chunk of the homeless are actually mentally unwell people that are not receiving proper care.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:29 PM

518 posts, read 825,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
You've sparked my interest. Do tell.
She was arrested for turning out a minor after I threw her out and did ten years upstate. I never saw her again but her picture is on the sex offenders registry and she looks terrible these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City