Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 05:48 PM

900 posts, read 2,364,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Actually, I work with the homeless. I have picked them up off the street and taken them to the shelter. Obviously not in NYC, but EXCUSE ME for clicking on "New Posts" and only seeing the Thread Name and making a suggestion.

Don't worry, I won't bother responding to any NYC threads again, since the last time I did that, I was attacked the exact same way.

Way to keep the reputation going.
Oh no Convextech, our bums are stinkier than your bums.

I'm a compassionate person but you have to be smart with what you do. Many of the homeless here, as mentioned before, have mental and drug problems. Some are also fugitives of the law. It would be complete idiotcy to invite anyone you don't know into your home. It's just not done here.

Best thing to do is give the person referrals and/or some food before either calling police and telling mama to complain.

Better to let those who know how to handle the situation deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 05:53 PM

900 posts, read 2,364,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
convextech,
I have thought of the same thing...letting someone bathe in my place. But I have never gone through with it for many reasons like
1. Do I then have to provide him with new clothes...you cannot have a clean body re-dress in the same molding clothes.
2. Do I feed him...how many meals.
3. How do I say "Now it's time to clear out...Game of Thrones is coming on."
4. Do I have to give him cash?
See what I mean? I don't want to ADOPT someone.

I think cities should reinstitute public baths. If it was good enough for Rome, it should be good enough for New York.

But let me ask you. Have you ever let a homeless person bathe at your place?

Kefir you're funny, #3 really made me laugh.

But you know what happened in those public Roman baths.:-O

Hmmm, maybe you have suspicious reasons for them yourself? Lol

Old 04-18-2014, 06:16 PM

774 posts, read 902,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entangled View Post
It was so funny to see 30s something out-of-towners panic in such a theatrical way. I bet they are the same ones that fight for the rights of homeless and junkies.
Bbut.

You are reading strangers and passing judgement too

Old 04-18-2014, 06:24 PM

33,424 posts, read 46,851,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
What happens when you call the police for trespass?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-18-2014, 06:39 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,968,535 times
The homeless man is also daring if he makes himself at 'home' right in your lobby. No telling what else he can do if angered or even becomes overconfident.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:21 PM

518 posts, read 822,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
If you were a really caring person, you might consider letting the guy come in and take a bath. Homeless people are still people. They have just fallen down on hard times.

If you feel uncomfortable allowing him into your home, maybe offer to give him a ride to the local shelter?
When I was younger and dumber there was a pathetic homeless drunken cripple always hanging out around my building. One night I invited him in and gave him food and beer. He told me his legs were mangled in Vietnam. I told him he smelled very bad and should take a bath. He said he did not want a bath. My then girlfriend came home and said, "He don't want no bath. He already passed a lot of bathtubs on his way here!". She threw him out. He hobbled down the stairs cursing her.
About 2 years later the guy died horribly in an arson fire in a building he had been squatting in. He was found with a radiator across his crippled legs. Fire Marshals speculated that he attempted to escape by steadying himself on the radiator which was no longer attached to anything. It fell and he was pined.
I subsequently learned from people in the neighborhood that he was not a Vietnam vet but had been hit and crippled by a police car while fleeing some misdeed. While I didn't and don't regret my youthful altruism, I would never feel that anyone who wouldn't do the same is not a caring person.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:32 PM

8,082 posts, read 6,691,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi guy View Post
When I was younger and dumber there was a pathetic homeless drunken cripple always hanging out around my building. One night I invited him in and gave him food and beer. He told me his legs were mangled in Vietnam. I told him he smelled very bad and should take a bath. He said he did not want a bath. My then girlfriend came home and said, "He don't want no bath. He already passed a lot of bathtubs on his way here!". She threw him out. He hobbled down the stairs cursing her.
About 2 years later the guy died horribly in an arson fire in a building he had been squatting in. He was found with a radiator across his crippled legs. Fire Marshals speculated that he attempted to escape by steadying himself on the radiator which was no longer attached to anything. It fell and he was pined.
I subsequently learned from people in the neighborhood that he was not a Vietnam vet but had been hit and crippled by a police car while fleeing some misdeed. While I didn't and don't regret my youthful altruism, I would never feel that anyone who wouldn't do the same is not a caring person.
If I ever did that my girlfriend would guarantee that me and the bum would both be looking for a new place to take bath.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:32 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,554,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi guy View Post

Okay....
1. You let a homeless man in
2. Your smarter gf kicked him out
3. 2 years later he was in an accident
4. You were still in touch with a "homeless man" 2 years later????????????
5. Based on what you were told (if true) he lied about being a Vietnam vet (if your story or his is true)

Yeah... Let's not let strangers sleeping in our lobbies into our buildings...... Thanks.

Guessing the GF broke up with you.....

Old 04-19-2014, 06:55 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,984,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This is one of those times when people who have no concept of what it's like living in NYC should just stay out of the discussion.

Or maybe people who are heartless and do live here should move away to make the city a better place to live.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:18 AM

25,345 posts, read 36,873,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
If I ever did that my girlfriend would guarantee that me and the bum would both be looking for a new place to take bath.
Especially if you let the bum use her bidet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City