Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 03:09 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The well-off (mostly white) New Yorkers I've met at college seemed to have as much of a urban orientation as suburban transplants, maybe more so.
"Well off" are the key words in that sentence.

Although my college had a reputation for snootiness, we actually had more socioeconomic diversity than pretty much all other schools in the area. Quite a few kids from the South Bronx, Bed-Stuy, Crown Heights, West Philly, etc.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 04-22-2014 at 03:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I know of a Dominican woman whos family moved out of NYC to Atlanta. They opened up a hair salon in an Atlanta suburb, she told me her family hair salon appeared in one of the black reality TV shows on VH1. I also remember a video from the NYT and NPR that talked about West Indians moving to the South as well and not only African Americans.
Absolutely. Atlanta is to a lot of native New Yorkers and Philadelphians what NYC is to Millennial suburbanites.

Whereas a lot of Millennial urbanists want to feel the energy of the street, a lot of my friends want to hear the sound of the gate to their apartment complex closing behind their coupe.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:22 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Whenever I leave NYC I feel like I see transplants everywhere. Back in NY I only see them here and there.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:00 PM

424 posts, read 973,573 times
I wonder if these kind of articles are to further inflate rental prices in Manhattan and Brooklyn... They tend to be targeted toward affluent transplants who graduated from top universities going/ already offered jobs in top white collar professions or chasing a dream (which can really test a lot of people).

10 years ago I would say this article was true; maybe even 5 but today with rents increasing, jobs openings at good companies being extremely competitive and the regional economy still trying to shake off the effects of the global recession I think thrive might be slightly misleading word to use... maybe thrive socially (which may help them land a job and hear about a great apartment deal but still) It's an uphill battle for a lot of them and I'm genuinely worried about my generation since there's a lot of factors working against them more so than any other time period in history.

I would like to see a realistic cautionary portrayal of people who relocate to the city and need to share a cramped junkie apartment in East Harlem or live in Astoria or Crown Heights and don't eat out every night, take cabs to get around but instead live off of Ramen Noodles, jam themselves in the subway every rush hour and wonder if it's even worth it. The BBC had a great documentary of this about young people trying to move London. This alone sends a lot of transplanted post grads back home to reevaluate things after their bank accounts run dry and their parents refuse to fund them any more (in many cases rightfully so). And they have massive college debt also to worry about.

Unless you come from a fairly affluent background, have marketable job skills or a year's worth of living expenses saved up I'm not sure I would suggest a 20 something move to NYC without any family/ connections here right now. It's a better idea to move here when you're already established in your career, not when you're just starting out. I had the advantage of having family here and living rent free with them for a year and I still struggled to get my footing... the interesting thing is I'm now renting in the burbs after getting that financial foothold since subway service took a nose dive since Sandy and the city's priorities shifted away from retaining middle class (whatever's left of them anyway) NYer's to attracting global billionaires and more tourists. Like some already say it's a wise decision to live at home for a few years to build up savings or even buy a home to build equity. NYC is a lot of young people dream about living in but it can cause some people to go into debt chasing their dream than if they lived in a lower cost city such as Austin, Philly, or Portland.

What's interesting is a lot of foreign born immigrants (who greatly out number transplants) seem to thrive here. Thrive is relative but if you move to the US from a 3rd world nation even some inner city areas are much better than where they're from. Most skip applying for jobs and start their own business come over to assist the family business. They might be on to something...

Old 04-22-2014, 04:11 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
I wonder if these kind of articles are to further inflate rental prices in Manhattan and Brooklyn... They tend to be targeted toward affluent transplants who graduated from top universities going/ already offered jobs in top white collar professions or chasing a dream (which can really test a lot of people).

10 years ago I would say this article was true; maybe even 5 but today with rents increasing, jobs openings at good companies being extremely competitive and the regional economy still trying to shake off the effects of the global recession I think thrive might be slightly misleading word to use... maybe thrive socially (which may help them land a job and hear about a great apartment deal but still) It's an uphill battle for a lot of them and I'm genuinely worried about my generation since there's a lot of factors working against them more so than any other time period in history.

I would like to see a realistic cautionary portrayal of people who relocate to the city and need to share a cramped junkie apartment in East Harlem or live in Astoria or Crown Heights and don't eat out every night, take cabs to get around but instead live off of Ramen Noodles, jam themselves in the subway every rush hour and wonder if it's even worth it. The BBC had a great documentary of this about young people trying to move London. This alone sends a lot of transplanted post grads back home to reevaluate things after their bank accounts run dry and their parents refuse to fund them any more (in many cases rightfully so). And they have massive college debt also to worry about.

Unless you come from a fairly affluent background, have marketable job skills or a year's worth of living expenses saved up I'm not sure I would suggest a 20 something move to NYC without any family/ connections here right now. It's a better idea to move here when you're already established in your career, not when you're just starting out. I had the advantage of having family here and living rent free with them for a year and I still struggled to get my footing... the interesting thing is I'm now renting in the burbs after getting that financial foothold since subway service took a nose dive since Sandy and the city's priorities shifted away from retaining middle class (whatever's left of them anyway) NYer's to attracting global billionaires and more tourists. Like some already say it's a wise decision to live at home for a few years to build up savings or even buy a home to build equity. NYC is a lot of young people dream about living in but it can cause some people to go into debt chasing their dream than if they lived in a lower cost city such as Austin, Philly, or Portland.

What's interesting is a lot of foreign born immigrants (who greatly out number transplants) seem to thrive here. Thrive is relative but if you move to the US from a 3rd world nation even some inner city areas are much better than where they're from. Most skip applying for jobs and start their own business come over to assist the family business. They might be on to something...
I know a Transplanted girl who is a graduate from Duke University and a native of Seattle. She just moved out of NYC all together and headed back to the Northwest.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
That's interesting. So it's sort of like a Hoop Dreams or Lenny Cooke documentary for aspiring urbanistas?

Old 04-22-2014, 05:35 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
I remember some years ago the New Yorker posted an article about a survey that stated 90 percent of young people prefered to move to NYC than any other city in America.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:41 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:

Well, considering how many transplants have always come and gone, articles pimping NYC or certain other big cities have no interest in chronically conditions on the ground. They'd rather pimp a few neighborhoods in or near the city's core.

As for foreign born immigrants, I recall our neighbors in Central Queens. There were 20 people living in a two bedroom apartment. In other place there were at least 5 or 6 people living in a basement. This is more or less the norm now in much of Queens (crazy overcrowded houses and apartments), the Bronx, much of Brooklyn, upper Manhattan, etc.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:41 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Whereas a lot of Millennial urbanists want to feel the energy of the street
I can't read this thread anymore. This is getting enraging...

Old 04-22-2014, 05:43 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I remember some years ago the New Yorker posted an article about a survey that stated 90 percent of young people prefered to move to NYC than any other city in America.
The NEW YORKER would CLAIM that, wouldn't they? Biased source, anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City