Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 04:38 AM

191 posts, read 220,627 times

Advertisements

I would like to apply for one..
now I’m just a normal citizen with no criminal or mental background, I do have a job but it is not one that would help facilitate or justify getting a permit. I would prefer a carry-on but will settle for even a keep-home permit if there’s such a thing. I do not have enemies or owe money to anyone, this is just because I like guns and the protection they offer you and your family, period. I do live in a statistical high crime are if it helps.
Anyone here has done this and currently has such a permit, please share your experience.
What is the process?
Can they deny you or by law have to approve you if you are clean?
How much would it cost to get such licensing?

Please do not get off topic, I know this has been discussed before but the threads got full of satirical and helpless comments. I'm not interested in political answers as to why i should or should not. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 04:43 AM

384 posts, read 512,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycman9 View Post
Can they deny you or by law have to approve you if you are clean?
How much would it cost to get such licensing?
New York is a may-issue state, meaning the burden of proof is on the applicant to show a need for a permit. New York City is considered very restrictive even within the may-issue framework. Despite your record, you would almost certainly not be issued a permit.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:28 AM

106,646 posts, read 108,790,719 times
as long as you have a clean record the standard residence/range/hunting permit is easy.

few are turned down for that unless you have blemishes.

full carry permits barely are issued anymore.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:11 AM

384 posts, read 512,423 times
OP, I would consider buying a rifle or shotgun, which are much easier to obtain living in New York City.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:22 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,419,597 times
yes they offer protection. What if you shot someone in self-defense? NYC lawyers will have a field day with you in court because of the attitude towards guns in NYC. If you can get a gun by all means get one, but when it comes to legal protection it'll be difficult

Old 04-22-2014, 09:58 AM

222 posts, read 185,659 times
I agree with the above post

Old 04-23-2014, 02:29 AM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
If you are willing to jump through all of the fire breathing hoops that NYC/NYS unconstitutionally places upon the inalienable right to keep and bear arms without infringements, than yes, you will be given your little permission slip to maintain a firearm in your place of residence only. Good luck.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:07 AM

106,646 posts, read 108,790,719 times
the process really is not that terrible. it is just a matter of waiting a few months more than anything else.

the reality is i have been active in the shooting sports for more than 20 years in nyc. i never knew anyone who was denied unless they had blemishes. yeah we hear about zoning issues as to where they lived or their income levels but when the truth was learned they had blemishes , they just told everyone a made up reason as to why they believed they were rejected.

no one ever gave a more whacky reason than my wife for wanting a permit.

we had friends who used to take part in shooting events where everyone got dressed up in cowboy or cow girl clothes and you have competitive shoots and bbq's and she wanted to do that.

so she gets called down later in the process because they have some questions.

so there she is in front of the investagator and she asks my wife why she wants a permit , does she have any restraining orders, does anyone have one against her , was she threatened ,etc etc.

she replied she wants to be a cow girl.

the investigators jaw dropped .... so my wife explained and she goes ooooh okay ,thats better , i understand now. ha ha ha

Old 04-23-2014, 09:45 AM

1,757 posts, read 2,145,105 times
Short answer: No
Long Answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: