Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 09:52 PM

774 posts, read 903,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
You forgot:

(1) Disney Pavilion (remember the song "It's a small world after all . . ." performed/sung by animated android-like figures?)
(2) The New York State Pavilion with the two capsule elevators that went high up above the World's Fair for a great view (and which still stands intact today)

You covered much of what I can remember off the top-of-my-head (I'd have to research the rest on the web to refresh my memory).
I forgot a lot of them.................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 10:37 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,782,060 times
Kodak building. Phones where you could SEE the person you talked to. All of the country exhibits. "It's a small world".... so many memories. I was about 12/13

Old 04-23-2014, 10:46 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,364,201 times
I went to the fair in 1964. My mother has an aunt who lived a block away from the site and we were able to park there and walk to the fair. Her aunt made a good amount of money that summer, renting their driveway.

I thought it was fantastic and we had much fun. I can remember many of the exhibits. Years latter, I went in the Army and was sent to California. Of course, I wanted to see Disneyland and I was surprised to see many of these exhibits were from the Worlds Fair. That dancing doll exhibit with that song and the World of Tomorrow were there among others which have faded in my memory.

Livecontent

Old 04-23-2014, 10:53 PM

Better Living Center, Billy Graham, Top Of The Fair, Mexico, Rheingold's Little Old NY, Israel, Pakistan, Science Pavilion, Scott Paper.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:18 AM

2,622 posts, read 3,394,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Kodak building. Phones where you could SEE the person you talked to. All of the country exhibits. "It's a small world".... so many memories. I was about 12/13

Oh yeah! I forgot about the Eastman Kodak Pavilion (that was the first place I ever saw a PicturePhone in action . . . decades before the Internet and then Internet-based communications came into existence). And, after the 1964-65 World's Fair ended, Eastman Kodak opened a major "exhibit hall/demonstration center" within Grand Central Station which seemed to operate for years there.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:24 AM

2,622 posts, read 3,394,935 times
I forgot the Singer Pavilion (built by Singer, manufacturer of sewing machines).

What was the former Singer Pavilion still exists and was transformed into the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center (site of the U.S. National Tennis Opens).

Old 04-24-2014, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
I forgot the Singer Pavilion (built by Singer, manufacturer of sewing machines).

What was the former Singer Pavilion still exists and was transformed into the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center (site of the U.S. National Tennis Opens).
Singer Bowl

Old 04-24-2014, 05:27 AM

25,352 posts, read 36,908,741 times
Biggest bust:
Remember the General Electric pavilion where you waited an hour or two too see "the first controlled fusion." You went into a dome with seats surrounding a contraption that whirred and clunked and then went POP.
We were told: "You have now witnessed the future: controlled fusion."
Everyone left scratching their heads wondering why they had wasted their time.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Biggest bust:
Remember the General Electric pavilion where you waited an hour or two too see "the first controlled fusion." You went into a dome with seats surrounding a contraption that whirred and clunked and then went POP.
We were told: "You have now witnessed the future: controlled fusion."
Everyone left scratching their heads wondering why they had wasted their time.
I forgot that show.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:36 AM

25,352 posts, read 36,908,741 times
Was NY the fair with the Illinois Pavilion and the mechanical Lincoln standing up and reciting the Emancipation Proclamation? Or was that EXPO?
I remember that attraction being perhaps the most popular at the fair...whichever one it was.
(Sounds more likely the New York Fair.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City