Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 10:18 AM

10 posts, read 16,373 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, this is my first post and my first time in this forum.

I will be in NYC towards the end of June to mid-July. And I need an accomodation.
I suppose it's pretty useless to say you how many entire apartments/private rooms I can find on sites like Airbnb and how many different neighborhoods to choose from. That's pretty overwhelming since I really don't know what to choose.

I already read many threads in this forum about NYC's neighborhoods but I decided to write my own post to hear your suggestions for my personal preferences.

I'm a young guy (early 20s) and in the weeks I will be in NYC I'd love to enjoy the stay meeting tons of young people like me and make a wonderful experience from that. I love nature and coffe-shops where I can work with my laptop but I think the nightlife and the quantity of 20s young girls and boys plays a main role for the choose of the neighborhood I will choose.

From the reads I did in the forums posts I created a small list of the MAYBE preferred neighborhoods for the preferences I stated above. Note that this list is created with the information I read on the web and in this forums, feel free to change it as your experience and your know-how tells you.

I have a little preference to stay in Manhatthan but I see that many people had also suggested Brooklyn, therefore I can even search for Brooklyn rooms/apartments if you think it best suits for me.

- Hell’s Kitchen
- Chelsea
- East Village (Alphabet City)
- Williamsburg (very good for nightlife and young guys/girls)

Neighborhoods to "avoid":
- UWS / UES
- Financial District

This will be my first time in NYC!

Feel free to ask me whatever you want if you need more informations!
Thanks in advance!

L.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 10:20 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
What will your budget be?

Old 04-24-2014, 10:58 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
To the OP: I think you should look at neighborhoods in Brooklyn. Williamsburg could be a good choice, but also look at Greenpoint and Fort Greene and Prospect Heights. What is your rent budget?

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-24-2014 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: Orphaned quote removed

Old 04-24-2014, 11:10 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lock1 View Post
I love nature

You're moving to the right city then...

Old 04-24-2014, 11:11 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
To the OP: I think you should look at neighborhoods in Brooklyn. Williamsburg could be a good choice, but also look at Greenpoint and Fort Greene and Prospect Heights. What is your rent budget?

The only problem with those 3 neighborhoods is the relatively difficult access to Manhattan for a first time visitor, I know since I lived in Greenpoint (D$@* G train!).

Lock1 I think any of the nabes you listed are fine, Lower East Side should be added too, Williamsburg would be my #1 choice because of all the nightlife & so many young people; easy access to the subway & short travel to Manhattan is key anywhere you land. Be aware that Chelsea is largely gay.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:52 AM

Hey all, thanks for the replies.

@all: I didn't say that I will be in NYC from the beginning of June but from the beginning to the end of June I'll be in a residence associated with the English School I'll attend. But when the course will finish I'll stay in NYC for other ~2 weeks, and I don't have the accomodation for those ~2 weeks.

@availableusername: well, I wrote that I love nature because I'd love to visit parks and green areas. But of course I don't go to NYC only for the nature :-)

@Hefe: why many people suggest Williamsburg? It's really good for young people? I really didn't know that, I thought that Brooklyn area was a quiet one.

Well, there are few things I would like to have and one of those is absolutely a good ways to go "everywhere" with public transports.
I read that Chelsea is great for young people, especially because there are more girls than guys, is it true or just marketing research? haha

Can we try to create a list of the best suitable neighborhoods? Since now I can say only Williamsburg is the common neighborhood that people suggest.
Can you tell me the differences between the neighborhoods when you feel like to suggest them?

Well, I think that my budget is about 1250/1500 $ for ~14 nights. What do you think?

You can't imagine how helpful are you guys, thanks!
L.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:58 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
Don't get me wrong, lots of people & girls in Chelsea, wonderful vibrant area for a single person.

$1500 for 14 nights? How are you going to do that? Hotels are around $300/ngt. And you are landing in the middle of the high season. You don't have as much choice as you think....

I would get busy on the google machine right now & find some kind of couchsurfing accomodations or distant relative/classmate who lives in NYC that you can stay with.

I believe there are some hostels in NYC too.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:20 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Don't get me wrong, lots of people & girls in Chelsea, wonderful vibrant area for a single person.

$1500 for 14 nights? How are you going to do that? Hotels are around $300/ngt. And you are landing in the middle of the high season. You don't have as much choice as you think....

I would get busy on the google machine right now & find some kind of couchsurfing accomodations or distant relative/classmate who lives in NYC that you can stay with.

I believe there are some hostels in NYC too.

OP, I didn't realize you were just visiting. I only kinda skimmed your post. Stay in hostel, it'll be much much more affordable. And it will be easier dip your sting. Win win all around, friend...

Old 04-24-2014, 07:22 PM

Hello again guys. I came back at home and I just read your messages.

On Airbnb I found some accomodations (private-room) for 15 nights at $1500.
Anyway, what do you think about Chelsea/Alphabet City/Williamsburg?

If you were me, on which neighborhood you would focus?

Old 04-24-2014, 08:17 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
I used to live in Chelsea. There was a hostel across the street from my apartment, we were on the same block as the police station. You could get a single room with a private bathroom within your rate.

Chelsea Hostel Rates - Rates for Chelsea Hostel in NYC - NYC Hostel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: