U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 11:45 AM

59 posts, read 213,333 times

Advertisements

Hello, I just wanted some advice as this is my first ticket.

So you guys can understand me better I'm uploading a google map picture of the street where I was given the violation.

This is the street, the Gas Station is circled in red. My Car is the gray line, the car in front is red, and the cop is blue. I was driving West bound on 173rd Street to then make a left on that smaller street on the left into the gas station. There is NO TRAFFIC LIGHT there or stop sign, or yield etc. There is a traffic light on Boston Road.

About the street:
This is a 2 lane street each lane headed in opposite directions.
There is now solid yellow line.
There are no signs other than the "No Parking on Mondays 9-11am ..."

This is what happened:

Long story short, I had my Fuel Pump replaced and all the gas was drained and accidentally spilled (it was only about half a quarter of a tank). So after replacement I had to go to the gas station (I don't know how my car was running honestly).

Long story short, there were a couple cars in front of me and I wanted to make a left into the gas station so I overcame the car in front of me to go ahead and make that left. The cop of course pulls me over because there aren't any criminals running around in the BRONX.

She gives me a ticket for violation 1122(a) with the description of "Unsafe Passing."

Four weeks later I check online to put my "Not Guilty Plea" and I noticed that the "Unsafe Passing" description changes to "No Pass on Right."

Here is what I thought of:

1. My ticket will be thrown out for having the wrong code (crossing fingers).
2. I'll have to fight it for "No Passing on Right."
3. I'll have to fight it for "Unsafe Passing."

Here are my concerns:

--If option 2 happens, I plan on arguing at the fact that there is no space for me to pass a vehicle on the right in the street because cars are always parked around there. Take pictures of the street etc etc. Should I mention that I overcame vehicles on the left to make a left turn?

-- If option 3 happens, I plan on arguing that according to Article 25 Section 1120, 1, I am exempt from driving on the right side of the roadway when overtaking a vehicle. And 1122(a) allows me to overtake a vehicle on the left where permitted (NO SOLID YELLOW LINE) and after I overcame the vehicle I simply made a safe and legal left turn.

-- If option 1 happens, we'll all be happy , at least I will lol.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 12:00 PM

3,445 posts, read 4,826,588 times
Stop making excuses for your poor driving, plead guilty and pay the fine. It's so tiring hearing the same excuses from you violators...

Oh the cops are against me
Oh why cant they just go after criminals
Oh its not my fault, they are wrong....

Old 04-29-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Stop making excuses for your poor driving, plead guilty and pay the fine. It's so tiring hearing the same excuses from you violators...

Oh the cops are against me
Oh why cant they just go after criminals
Oh its not my fault, they are wrong....
So you're telling me the cops are right 100% of the time? People make mistakes all the time, I strongly believe the officer unnecessarily cited me, if not she cited me incorrectly. I am asking for advice on how to clearly present my case so the judge can understand me and because this will be my first time going to court.

So unless you have something useful to say, please refrain yourself from commenting.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:29 PM

3,445 posts, read 4,826,588 times
Here is something useful...don't waste your time, you will be convicted.

and cops just don't go around pulling random motorists over. There are plenty of fools breaking the law all the time.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:28 PM

390 posts, read 370,728 times
There is no court no judge to see in NYC, your pleading will go through TVB. I suggest you pay for the fine, unless of course you have so much time, you can delay the case up to 2 times and pray cop dont show up on the court day.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:13 AM

19,086 posts, read 32,666,756 times
Plead to or pay TVB tickets | New York State DMV

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-02-2014, 08:51 AM

2,724 posts, read 2,864,188 times
If it's a one lane street without a left turn lane, why would you be passing anyone? You just wait behind the car in front of you until it moves and then you can move up to the intersection and turn.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
If it's a one lane street without a left turn lane, why would you be passing anyone? You just wait behind the car in front of you until it moves and then you can move up to the intersection and turn.
Because there was no solid yellow line therefore I am allowed to overtake a car on the left by passing through the other lane.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:43 AM

902 posts, read 1,972,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljean View Post
Because there was no solid yellow line therefore I am allowed to overtake a car on the left by passing through the other lane.
You can't that. You're not supposed to pass on the left in what would be oncoming traffic 3 cars back!

Pay your fine. You were clearly in the wrong.

Just b/c your car was about to run out of gas the world must stop for you huh? You could have possibly caused an accident.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
You can't that. You're not supposed to pass on the left in what would be oncoming traffic 3 cars back!

Pay your fine. You were clearly in the wrong.

Just b/c your car was about to run out of gas the world must stop for you huh? You could have possibly caused an accident.
I don't know where you guys live at but here in New York if the yellow line is dashed you can overcome a car by passing around it on the left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or