Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 11:34 AM

900 posts, read 2,372,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Dude, the the title of your thread is, literally, "New york bill would make it a crime to ‘annoy’ police". You're misrepresenting the text of the bill and getting all worked up.
Our resident writer strikes again. lol

This is the usual coming from him/her. Guess they're breaking in another moniker but they do the same crap. Logic is always skewed and resources never support the argument coupled with going off topic constantly.

When will y'all learn? You can't take nothing it says on face value.

Good researching Febtober.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 11:34 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
I'm not worked up. It's very vague and ripe for abuse. The title was from the article I posted. The links I posted point out what's wrong with the bill. Like you said it was defeated in the Assmebly this yr (after passing the Senate in June 2013), but returned to the Senate.
If you want to claim that it's vague then that's fine and probably worthy of a discussion. But so many people are simply hearing, "New york bill would make it a crime to ‘annoy’ police", not reading the actual text of the bill, and assuming that they can now be arrested for whistling off key in the presence of a cop.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:44 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
Our resident writer strikes again. lol

This is the usual coming from him/her. Guess they're breaking in another moniker but they do the same crap. Logic is always skewed and resources never support the argument coupled with going off topic constantly.

When will y'all learn? You can't take nothing it says on face value.

Good researching Febtober.
Now this post is chock full of logic and supported argument. Keep up the good work!

Old 04-30-2014, 11:46 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I'm always surprised by complaints like these. Okay maybe it's a slippery slope but as a productive member of society, how often do you interact with the police for this to be a real issue? Only the fringe element of society is constantly bothered by these laws. Ultimately I blame the economy. Too many people with too much time on their hands.

It's called paying attention to what is going on. You don't have to be the fringe element of society to be bothered. You can be an ordinary, law abiding citizen. If we all paid more attention to what's going on, this world would be a lot better.

If productive members of society did not protest during the civil rights movement of the 1960's, we would still have segregation.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:47 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
If you want to claim that it's vague then that's fine and probably worthy of a discussion. But so many people are simply hearing, "New york bill would make it a crime to ‘annoy’ police", not reading the actual text of the bill, and assuming that they can now be arrested for whistling off key in the presence of a cop.

I agree that's why I posted the links...

Old 04-30-2014, 12:39 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
So, if a person is recording a police officer committing a crime--and the person making that recording is arrested and charged with "annoying" the officer how is that *not* a violation of that person's Constitutional rights?

Likewise, if a person observes a group of police officers in a circle kicking and beating a suspect, and that observer is pleading with the officers to stop. That person could be arrested. How is that not a violation of free speech?

I feel you are only looking at the physical intimidation in this bill--which no one has a problem with.

Please don't be rediculess, by your logic any action by a civilian can be used as probable cause to arrest. The bill addresses physical contact and yes that is what I am addressing.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:44 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
1) Should those be a felony rather a misdemeanor? I mean, spitting?

2) Is it actually limited to kicking, shoving and spitting or vague harassment? It does say "physical contact".

3) Physical contact could include this guy harassed the cop by hitting the cop's fist. Or a guy resisting arrest pushing back. Resisting arrest is already a crime, there's no need to turn into a felony on addition.

Is there a particular problem instance that this law is trying to solve that isn't already addressed? It reads to me as nothing but a statement to show "I support law enforcement".

Exactly.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:45 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
I can recall several incidents from around the country where cops have interfered with citizens using their cell phones and video cameras to record police activity. In some cases the police using what seemed like excessive force. Would this be considered "annoying" or "harassing" the police?

Old 04-30-2014, 01:03 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Let me guess: He's Republican, right?

Old 04-30-2014, 02:46 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I'm always surprised by complaints like these. Okay maybe it's a slippery slope but as a productive member of society, how often do you interact with the police for this to be a real issue? Only the fringe element of society is constantly bothered by these laws. Ultimately I blame the economy. Too many people with too much time on their hands.
Good post. I gave reps.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City