Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 11:21 AM

29 posts, read 54,100 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago I went to Dunwell Donuts and Brooklyn Mac off Bushwick Avenue after a day out nearby. I hadn't been before, and I assumed the area had been annexed by the Williamsburg crowd. I was surprised to see it wasn't fully yet, but I think it's only a matter of time. I'd say it's about 65 or 70% non-white still. But the hipsters are spreading, so I think that area could change rapidly in the next year or two.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:38 PM

821 posts, read 1,100,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
I have been reading for quite some time about gentrification blah blah.... but honestly when I explore around Bedstuy, bushwick, LES and parts that are "done" according to many. its still very gritty.

I mean im sure it was way worse in the 80-90's but its still pretty hood. Even in Bushwick in the " yuppy" part it didn't seem nice to me at all. Vey industrial and then it turns to the hood.

I saw maybe 2-3 white people walking and REALLY standing out..not really socializing with the local bushwick people. Are they OK with just being able to afford the rent even though they seemingly don't blend in the with the locals. I mean the ones I saw seemed outright uncomfortable .

Is it due to projects having a heavy presence in this area ??? To be honest I don't see what the fuss is about, neither do I see why people are paying sooo much to live in these areas which arent visually appealing .These areas are still ghetto.

Can anyone enlighten me ?
What do you mean by white people? There is only one race, the human race. Race is a social construct.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:41 PM

I used to work in "Da Wick", by DeKalb and Bushwick Avenue. Only fair person in sight for miles.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:41 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,059 times
I've seen videos on YouTube (The videos were removed long ago) made by 'new comers' some years back, when Bushwick and East WB were becoming increasingly popular for new comers. The videos were quick walking tours but it also contained a lot of mockery on the local population.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
What do you mean by white people? There is only one race, the human race. Race is a social construct.
And it's a social construct that people pay attention to, so it creates differences.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And it's a social construct that people pay attention to, so it creates differences.
More like a biological construct brought forth by nature which people should pay attention to.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:35 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
I have been reading for quite some time about gentrification blah blah.... but honestly when I explore around Bedstuy, bushwick, LES and parts that are "done" according to many. its still very gritty.

I mean im sure it was way worse in the 80-90's but its still pretty hood. Even in Bushwick in the " yuppy" part it didn't seem nice to me at all. Vey industrial and then it turns to the hood.

I saw maybe 2-3 white people walking and REALLY standing out..not really socializing with the local bushwick people. Are they OK with just being able to afford the rent even though they seemingly don't blend in the with the locals. I mean the ones I saw seemed outright uncomfortable .

Is it due to projects having a heavy presence in this area ??? To be honest I don't see what the fuss is about, neither do I see why people are paying sooo much to live in these areas which arent visually appealing .These areas are still ghetto.

Someone wants you to believe that the neighborhoods are a lot better than they really are. Perhaps because they have some real estate they are trying to sell; you answer your own question with this post, I'm not sure what answer you're looking for.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:07 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:

Someone wants you to believe that the neighborhoods are a lot better than
they really are. Perhaps because they have some real estate they are trying to
sell
Very good, goofy.
And those two sentences COMPLETELY define "gentrification."

Old 05-11-2014, 10:39 AM

57 posts, read 128,646 times
Quote:

They are expensive ghettos........they poured syrup on top of **** and call it pancakes

Old 05-11-2014, 11:13 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_Native View Post
They are expensive ghettos........they poured syrup on top of **** and call it pancakes
Vegan pancakes lol

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City